Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP)
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP)

Former Hooligan Array
    Bike
    Litespeed

Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP)

RCMP Press release:

Police Tackling Noisy Vehicles

The onset of summer is not always good news for some Lower Mainland residents, who dread the increase in noisy motorcycles and other vehicles on their neighborhood roads.

The North Vancouver RCMP and Port Mann freeway patrol are inviting motorcycle riders and other vehicle owners to attend the parking lot of the Main street off ramp at the Ironworkers Memorial bridge, on June 5th and 6th from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for free decibel testing of their exhaust systems. This type of testing has never been offered by the police before and will be a unique opportunity for riders and drivers to become more aware of their noise levels. Trained Police officers will determine if the noise levels from the exhaust pipes are illegally loud.

On these days only, drivers will be offered an amnesty (no charges) by the police in North Vancouver. If their vehicle is found to be above the legal decibel limit, the Police will explain how to make the necessary improvements. Only street legal and street safe motorcycles and vehicles will be tested.

- If a motorcycle, car or truck is making more noise than a factory model, it is too loud.
    - If after-market pipes have been installed they likely do not have baffles and are not legal.
    - Most after market products are not approved mufflers.

Extensive enforcement for noisy vehicles will take place during June to October. Drivers charged under Section 7A.01 of the Motor Vehicle Act - Regulations will pay a fine of $109 and receive three points. If the noise is too excessive, vehicles could be towed and license plates seized, requiring the owner to have the vehicle inspected and then re-licensed.

“I have pulled over many motorcycles over the years and have heard all kinds of explanations,” says Constable Peter Kennedy with the North Vancouver RCMP. “None of them were valid, especially when someone says that the noise is for safety reasons and could save their life. Noisy motorcycles do not save lives, they simply irritate other people enjoying a peaceful day. The general public does not enjoy the noise and have made many requests with the local police agencies and the Mayor’s office for serious enforcement.”

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

“A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust system which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.”

“The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, pistondisplacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.”

Was there always three points attached to an excessive noise ticket ?
    And you can bet that anyone dumb enough to take advantage of the 'amnesty test' will end up in a database for the next time they are pulled over.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Slow......... Array [BlackDiamond]'s Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Yamaha VMAX
    I heard about this recently too, like you said, sounds more like a trap to me than anything else.
    2013 Yamaha VMAX 1700 ▪ 2009 Suzuki GSXR 750 ▪ 2005 Yamaha R6 ▪ 2001 Yamaha R6

You'd be surprised Array G Hats's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 KTM Superduke 990
    a thread about this is on the BCSB homepage right now

Bike
    2007 Repsol CBR1000RR
    Here we go again.
    Team "Take it to the streets"
    No Gear Never!

Bike
    2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by [BlackDiamond] View Post
    I heard about this recently too, like you said, sounds more like a trap to me than anything else.
    On these days only, drivers will be offered an amnesty (no charges) by the police in North Vancouver. If their vehicle is found to be above the legal decibel limit, the Police will explain how to make the necessary improvements. Only street legal and street safe motorcycles and vehicles will be tested.

from the article.
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)

[B]https://secure.bcchf.ca/SuperheroPag...FD&Member=2483

King of the money pits... Array
    Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by [BlackDiamond] View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foggy View Post
    On these days only, drivers will be offered an amnesty (no charges) by the police in North Vancouver.
    If they say this, and then give out tickets there would be public outrage. I think this is a good idea... the whole loud pipes save lives is BS IMO. Proper riding and being aware saves lives. I can't count how many times I've seen some cruiser with straight pipes blasting up a shoulder or weaving all over the place... speeding through the city etc.

Wanderer of the Wastes Array DNAspark99's Avatar
    Bike
    MONSTEROSITY
    Noisy motorcycles do not save lives
    For all the back and forth, I have yet to see or hear of ANYTHING even remotely resembling empirical evidence to support this issue, on either side of the argument.

So let's hear it; where's the proof that quieter motorcycle is any SAFER than a loud one?
    Show me the study. Show me the testing. Show me the common sense.

THERE IS NONE!

Quite simply, this is now and always will be, a sociopolitical issue - with ZERO examination put into the actual heart of the matter.
    Sure, loud pipes MIGHT help save lives.... buuuuuuut, let's try to endear motorcyclists at large with the general population - another losing battle.... another worthless law
    "I dread beyond all else the growth of the petty tyranny of restrictive legislation, the transference of disciplinary authority from the judiciary to the constabulary, the abandonment of every constitutional safeguard of individual liberty."

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    2006 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by PRSmechanic View Post
    My problem with the law is this:

If a motorcycle, car or truck is making more noise than a factory model, it is too loud.
    The aftermarket muffler on my car and bike are obviously louder than stock, so they automatically fail, despite them being quieter than many other stock cars.

The article mentions they'll be testing decibel levels - yet why bother if the above is true? It would be nice if they clarified this law.

road rash Array
    Bike
    of the future...........
    I think this is the biggest BSH ever......the industry provides u with aftermarket goodies...which are not aloud in our country,like aftermarket exhausts,tint on the windows,engine modifications.....and just a bunch of outlines that are amusingly stupid!...............then this country should take the whole market out of....service so we don't by any mods cause they are all illegal!
    That's just my opinion.....and this other BSH about the police invite for testing ......yeah......and 2-3 blocks when u leave they stop u and give u the f.......ticket.......I'm really sick and tired of this....(WE CARE ABOUT THE PUBLIC)...........and a little PS to the Constable Peter Kennedy...........with all do-respect...... I want him to go on a very quiet motorcycle and take the on ramp after the port man in every direction........or in general.......he should go for a ride anywhere in Vancouver,and then say his opinion!....... because of my loud pipes i only have 3 titanium bolts in my knee and,6 ribs broken......if i didn't have the pipes i would of being in heaven by now!

Super Addict Array
    Bike
    2006 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by brani_ca View Post
    I think this is the biggest BSH ever......the industry provides u with aftermarket goodies...which are not aloud in our country,like aftermarket exhausts,tint on the windows,engine modifications.....and just a bunch of outlines that are amusingly stupid!...............then this country should take the whole market out of....service so we don't by any mods cause they are all illegal!
    Or you can use them for what the manufacturers suggest: off-road use. Build a track vehicle and trailer it.

I remember having a discussion with my insurance agent in Ontario about suspension. I wanted to upgrade my suspension to something road legal, yet would lower the car. Many insurance companies were cracking down on it and not paying out claims if the vehicle was lowered. I asked my insurance agent what happens if my suspension wears out and I want to replace it with something better? I should be given a discount for making my vehicle safer, not punished for modding my vehicle. I actually got my insurance company to agree and provide in writing that my car would be covered for any mods, excluding engine mods.

I was surprised.
    Last edited by taylor192; 06-02-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Bike
    I'm just here for the intelligent conversation.
    I have a place for the police to start. How about Cambie Bridge? I hear at least 5 cars & bikes open it up going over that bridge every 10 minutes. And that's right outside the VPD HQ. They do nothing to stop it. It's bloody annoying.

Some are stock, others aren't. It's not how loud the bikes/cars are that make them annoying. It's the way they ride/drive that makes them annoying.

Hell, I could be more annoying on an 87 decibel bike than a 98 decibel bike if I rode like an asshole.

notice I'm just a little annoyed? lol

Bike
    1200 RT
    Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99 View Post
    So let's hear it; where's the proof that quieter motorcycle is any SAFER than a loud one?
    Show me the study. Show me the testing. Show me the common sense.

THERE IS NONE!
    In all of the loud pipe threads I have ever read, I cannot ever recall anyone saying that a quieter bike is a safer bike, or that quiet bikes save lives. Let's keep the hyperbole down to a dull roar.

The point made is usually to counter what the loud pipe supporters try to make us believe in that loud pipes save lives, or are safer. It has been noted that the loud pipe supporters sometimes remove the turn signals, won't wear protective clothing, have a black bike with black clothing, most often wear a novelty helmet, but then try to get their point across that they need louder pipes so they are safer or more protected.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    I have NEVER had a stock exhaust on a streetbike, and I have ALWAYS
    removed the DB killer from them to get the full flow and sound.

I have NEVER been talked to about my exhaust, NEVER given a ticket,
    and I don't anticipate ever having a problem.

But I do not ride my open pipe motorcycle in Vancouver... and I tread
    lightly in populated areas so as to make as little noise as possible.

The Harley's can't tread lightly, and so they are often the target of
    the enforcement. It makes the maximum amount of noise at virtually
    no rpm, which is just to get and keep it moving.

Then you have the wankers on the sportbikes with open pipes who
    like to ride around the city like they are drag racers at 10,000rpm
    between lights... they just seek attention... and often they get it,
    from the wrong folks.. the police.

The motorcycle owner is in more control of the outcome of enforcement
    than they want to believe.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2003 cbr 600rr
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Scott View Post
    I have a place for the police to start. How about Cambie Bridge? I hear at least 5 cars & bikes open it up going over that bridge every 10 minutes. And that's right outside the VPD HQ. They do nothing to stop it. It's bloody annoying.

Some are stock, others aren't. It's not how loud the bikes/cars are that make them annoying. It's the way they ride/drive that makes them annoying.

Hell, I could be more annoying on an 87 decibel bike than a 98 decibel bike if I rode like an asshole.

notice I'm just a little annoyed? lol
    +1... someone riding at 5k rpm with an aftermarket exhaust will be more quiet than someone riding at 15k with a stock exhaust. It is always about the person on the bike instead of the bike itself.
    "Mind over Matter"

road rash Array
    Bike
    of the future...........
    lets face it there is lots of posers...around...that are saying:" look at me...and my bike".....i agree on that.....but come on.....what do you have to say on Twin's....a?.......Ducati's......sounding like a f.....ing sledge hammer,the Aprilia owners.......like a modded Harley....and more and more......so what do we do for them a.......I'm only saying cause I'm one of them and i don't wanna be hurt from the POLICE cause its a different type of bikes.........and they do make allot of noise!......