Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP) - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP)

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    maybe, but the law as laid out and interpreted by the police can be used to snag any rider, aftermarket pipes or not. that's a problem that needs to be corrected.
    Yup. But if someone hadn't appealed it to Court making it binding, it could have been different.

If there was a good lawyer they could have poked holes in the unfairness due to the subjectivity of the law. Crown counsel would have seen that coming and decided THIS wasn't the case to lose, so might have dropped it without a decision being made binding on all the other JP's and judges.

But when someone walked in unrepresented, who doesn't argue well in Court or understand the rules, well, that's an opportunity to get a precedent that supports your side that you don't pass up either.

My professional association would use part of our dues to fund cases like this, but only when we thought we had a clear winner on our side.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
    Yup. But if someone hadn't appealed it to Court making it binding, it could have been different.

If there was a good lawyer they could have poked holes in the unfairness due to the subjectivity of the law. Crown counsel would have seen that coming and decided THIS wasn't the case to lose, so might have dropped it without a decision being made binding on all the other JP's and judges.

But when someone walked in unrepresented, who doesn't argue well in Court or understand the rules, well, that's an opportunity to get a precedent that supports your side that you don't pass up either.

My professional association would use part of our dues to fund cases like this, but only when we thought we had a clear winner on our side.
    how do you make that assessment? were you in the court to view the proceedings or did you read the transcripts from that day?
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    RC
    how do you make that assessment? were you in the court to view the proceedings or did you read the transcripts from that day?
    If it quacks like a duck well then it's Ian on another crusade.

Sure the "System" can use the law to keep us down and prosecute us for riding stock motorcycles but for some reason that doesn't happen. Why? Because there would be a huge shitstorm if anyone pulled that.

The individual in this case chose to press his opinion on the court unaided by a lawyer. I can only presume it was his ego that drove him to that.

From when he was posting on here and his online demeanor was condescending at best. The moment someone disagreed with him he lashed out. Not a way to build consensus or and army of supporters or talk your way out of a ticket roadside or in court.

He even got booted out of the Federal PC party in short order. How do you fuck that up?
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    From when he was posting on here and his online demeanor was condescending at best. The moment someone disagreed with him he lashed out. Not a way to build consensus or and army of supporters or talk your way out of a ticket roadside or in court.
    I was surprised to find myself eventually convinced of his argument. Initially it seemed like another whiny "loud pipe save lives" complaint, but he patiently explained on this forum that his issue was the lack of objective, standardized testing to determine the volume of the motorcycle, as others have told stories of. Given the amount of abuse he was taking, he stuck around to defend his actions and won my respect.*

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    If it quacks like a duck well then it's Ian on another crusade.

Sure the "System" can use the law to keep us down and prosecute us for riding stock motorcycles but for some reason that doesn't happen. Why? Because there would be a huge shitstorm if anyone pulled that.

The individual in this case chose to press his opinion on the court unaided by a lawyer. I can only presume it was his ego that drove him to that.

He even got booted out of the Federal PC party in short order. How do you fuck that up?

interesting. so now that's two people with no direct knowledge of the events in the courtroom that think they know what happened.

as per squint he laid his case out here on bcsb in fairly articulate manner. i seem to recall a bunch of people giving him flak for no valid reason over the situation, more like they were happy to see him getting screwed over.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    RC
    interesting. so now that's two people with no direct knowledge of the events in the courtroom that think they know what happened.

as per squint he laid his case out here on bcsb in fairly articulate manner. i seem to recall a bunch of people giving him flak for no valid reason over the situation, more like they were happy to see him getting screwed over.

What up? Was there some sort of star chamber proceeding when they turned the recorders off or something? Give us the lowdown!

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    I read the transcripts. And I have a LOT of experience as a litigant, both self represented, with legal counsel, and being responsible to hold up Her Majesty's laws. Knowing when to stop doing things myself and when to bring out the lawyers was an important part of my job.

I also spoke to Ian personally a couple times about it, I'd run into him downtown now and then.

Ian's take on it, as he presented here, is it isn't just that a LEO be able to arbitrarily decide you're offside without an objective test. Another area he was upset about was with visual estimation of speed by LEO's as the basis for tickets or pulling someone over. It isn't objective, but it is effective. And the Canadian legal system puts a great deal of trust in the judgement of LEO's and officers of the Court.

The problem is there is a often a wide gap between the law, and justice.

Bike
    CBR250Repsol 2013
    Pig here

I want to thank you all for posting to my question redeux ..a real wealth of knowledge and experience exibited...

What bothered me, and was already pointed out in a post, was the word "subjective" in the supreme court ruling ...once the law becomes such ... yer on a very "slippery slope" ..but then again here is an old saying "The Law is an ass"

I put the can back in my Ak and am being a good quiet Ol' Geezer .... for now..

Again thanks all you Amigos for taking the time to post .. mucho appreciated

BTW ...Anybody on the North Snore and wants to blast out to Starbucks at Horse Shoe Bay and doesn't mind being accompanied by a Swine and bike that looks straight out of Circus Soleil ... please give the Ol' Curl' a shout.. 604 982-0054 or post a message...

Curly the Pig

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 300/CBR f4i
    Interesting thread to have stumbled across. Anyone here recently or ever been in trouble for loud pipes?

Today I swapped out the obnoxiously loud Coffman shorty(even with the insert in) on my f4i for the yoshi rs3 that came with the bike as well. While I was concerned about the possibility of being pulled over for the shorty, I was mostly just fed up with the noise. The yoshi rs3 with no insert is still satisfyingly loud without being over the top. *

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    I haven't heard of a sportbike getting tagged for noise in decades. Harley's are a different story
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    I haven't heard of a sportbike getting tagged for noise in decades. Harley's are a different story
    Got a talking too once on my RC51. Fully Akrapovic and a bunch of the flaps/noise reducing stuff pulled. Just a talking too though after one officer waved me down a street they were filming on and the guy at the other end though I shouldn't be there.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    never had an issue for loud pipes.. both bikes have silencers on 'em though. so while they're aftermarket, they're not stupid loud.

in so far as 'cruisers' getting more attention from the popo, i would assume this is in closed areas like downtown.

i definitely dont encounter harley riders or any other cruiser dudes for that matter getting pulled over out in the wild.

i think there's a lot of bs that gets tossed about on forums.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

To torque or not? Array CaribooBC's Avatar
    Bike
    94 Ducati 900 SS CR, 86 NS400R and 98 R1100S
    I got hassled by an Abby City cop on my NS400 with stock cans. He did not want to believe that is the way they came from the factory. My 900SS with carbon Staintunes is way louder. 98db at idle on my iPad db app. I keep this bike away from the cities. My ST3s are quite civil though. Aftermarket cans, but they are respectful.
    86 Honda NS400R "Bone stock", 94 Ducati 900 SS CR "Hot Rod", 98 BMW R1100S "The Bagger", 05 Ducati ST3 "Stealth fighter". 07 Ducati ST3S ABS "Sex on wheels"

Bike
    Honda
    As a Queen’s representative who does said “hassling” I can let you in a a secret.

Like the old Japanese saying, “The nail that sticks out is the one that gets pounded down” or words to that effect.

Run around at “Look at me” 8000+ RPM on your sport bike, wide open throttle stoplight launches on your cruiser and/or remove absolutely everything in your exhaust leaving only that $50 eBay slash cut/GP style pipe ...... you’ll attract attention. Attention in the form an unnecessary noise ticket worth two points costing $173 or so and a full inspection on your bike.*

Ride around the way you would prefer people to ride past your house at 3 AM and you will most likely never have a problem. Short shift and small throttle openings save you tons of problems. I used to be able to ride my V2 Tuono with Leo Vinci or Akra pipes on it past the VPD motor officers doing sound checks in the downtown core without an issue.*

There is a time and place for everything, knowing how to find that time and place is the trick.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    2001 ZX12R .................... 2005 ST1300A
    straight piped ZX12R/A2 will get pulled over
    < spell chequer is totally bustimacated >