Bike
    MTS1200S
    wow. powerful.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Meh.....if you'd have been going 120km/h instead of 90km/h you'd have been 300ft past the intersection before the truck even reached it.

j/k.... good vid.

Bike
    2006 CBR 600RR - Orange
    very informative and useful

thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    BMW
    Good video and reminder. I was wondering though...reaction time is very important as well...

I assume that the speeds in the video are in mph. If the driver's reaction time in the vehicle travelling at 60mph is just a 1/4s slower than what was portrayed in the video, then he (theoretically) goes an extra 22 feet lodging his vehicle under the trailer unit.

Of course a slower speed will allow you more reaction time.

Registered User Array StevieMac's Avatar
    Bike
    Ninja250 + a few
    Your reaction time remains the same but the distance you cover during that reaction time obviously increases with added speed. So at a higher speed you travel a lot further before you actually get the brakes applied.

The video is in kmh.
    WMRC & PCMRC #49

StevieMac- Any and all advice provided by me is of the "Use it at your own risk" variety. Common sense and your own good judgement must always prevail.

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    Very interesting.

Bike
    In Superposition
    Also calls into question the design of the underride guard on the semi trailer.
    I... er... fall down a lot.

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    Also calls into question the design of the underride guard on the semi trailer.
    Pretty sure that was chosen for dramatic effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Pretty sure that was chosen for dramatic effect.
    +1. How often does a semi suddenly pull out in front of you like that at an intersection? Heck, can it even physically do that?

"Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    2010 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    +1. How often does a semi suddenly pull out in front of you like that at an intersection? Heck, can it even physically do that?
    Ever seen a semi blow through a stop sign?

I have.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Quote Originally Posted by ctardi View Post
    Ever seen a semi blow through a stop sign?

I have.
    situational awareness does a lot more than going 5kph slower.

Should be easy to spot a semi truck barreling down a street. Unless you think that 'right of way' actually applies in the real world, it should not be an issue. Bigger vehicle always wins, and right of way does nothing when ya in a hospital... either in a bed or on a slab.

"Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

burn rubber not your soul Array ecor's Avatar
    Bike
    600cc
    great vid

Bike
    2010 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by made Man View Post
    situational awareness does a lot more than going 5kph slower.

Should be easy to spot a semi truck barreling down a street. Unless you think that 'right of way' actually applies in the real world, it should not be an issue. Bigger vehicle always wins, and right of way does nothing when ya in a hospital... either in a bed or on a slab.

Yes, but you can't always see every corner, especially in our nicely treed area of BC. What do you do when coming to a blind corner? Pi the angles, and SLOW DOWN. Just like the video is showing.

Bike
    2005 Yamaha R1, 2001 Ducati Monster SIE 900
    I had a dump truck with a trailer pull out in front of me once on Westminster Highway. I was going over the bridge and around the corner onto Westminster Highway, near the bike shops. There is a light at the bottom of the corner. It was my first month or two of riding. I looked ahead and saw that the light went green, so I accelerated. The moron in the dump truck on the opposite side entered the intersection to turn left, but his filter went off. Instead of sitting there waiting for a yellow he just decided to turn. The cars in front of me braked hard. I was probably doing about 50 when I tried to stop like a noob. Locked my brakes up and I went down. I slid along the road, but stopped short of sliding underneath the dump truck and trailer. The bike slid off to the left. There are a lot really dumb tractor drivers in the city. I should know I've worked with a lot.

Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    I had a 53' truck similar to this make a U-turn across a 6 lane stretch on hwy 5 returning from osoyoos and got uncomfortably close to that guard rail. From several hundred feet back the driver made a move once I was close...

That rail is important for backing up to a loading dock that has standard guards for them.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642