What is th best used Sport touring bike..? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What is th best used Sport touring bike..?

Bike
    SV track, VFR road
    I'd probably vote Blackbird. If they'd ever made it with ABS, I would have bought one years ago.
    "When in doubt accelerate.
    It may not help you avoid the problem,
    but it'll end the suspense."

WMRC #96 (retired)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    I'd probably vote Blackbird. If they'd ever made it with ABS, I would have bought one years ago.
    I like the linked brakes but many de-link the brakes. Some have installed usd forks/ Busa/RC51 and the like. Like many bikes the Bird is well loved world wide with many forums as well. I test rode a VFR 800 but decided I would outgrow it and the Bird was the same price in '02 and I knew I would never outgrow it. And I haven't. I know a Bird that is supercharged and several with turbos. All streetable. Once the few weaknesses are addressed, Honda electical gremlins and suspension it's an excellent sport tourer. "We" wanted a new Bird with usd forks, abs, t.c., 1,200+cc and fully adjustable suspension but they didn't listen to us and built the FVR1200 instead. It sells like a dog and are quite discounted although it's an ok bike. If I was willing to spend my youngest daughters wedding $ I would be on a Beemer or Multi Strada.

Bike
    2005 FJR1300, 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, 1981 CB650c
    Yamaha FJR1300, 2004-2005
    The question is not what you look at...but what you see...
    ~Henry David Thoreau

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    pretty good list. The triumph sprint or tiger might work. The concours or FJR could be viable if you go lounger. The F800ST is probably getting up there in price among their K's and RT's. The Ducati ST3/4 and guzzi norges could make an exotic perch. It's good to have options.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1
    I notice the zx12 on your list so I guess I will give you my take on that bike as I have about 80,000+k's of touring on mine.
    Geared too high for city riding but can cruise at 100 mph all day at 5.5k rpm,I dropped 1 tooth on the front for city riding so I can cruise at about 90mph at 5.5rpm.
    Fuel economy seems to get better the faster you go, averages 220k highway 160k city on 18L.
    Fairly comfortable for touring with various windshields available foot pegs could be lower.
    For two up rear pegs are a bit high for long rides.
    Tends to lift the front very easy with a passenger or without one.
    If you replace the zx12 stickers with zx6 stickers you can scare the shit out of guys on 600's.
    Some recall issues on stator/rectifier system,easy to fix yourself.
    You can get hard bags but they cost big bucks, I use a Gears tail duffel bag that fits like it was made for the bike.
    It can take a bit of time to get used to this bike but once you get it dialed in it makes a good sport touring bike,but not a very good city bike.
    Mine is 10 years old with 100,000+k's and people still tell me it looks new
    That said two pistons grenaded at 65,000k's due to a flaw in the block.
    I saw a stock 2002 on craigslist awhile back for $4500 with 20k on it.
    Some people ad heli bars but I find them just fine after my last couple of trip I have been considering putting buel foot pegs on as the backs of my legs behind my knees was getting sore.
    Faster than a Blackbird and maybe even a Hayabusa (depending on who you ask) and will keep up with any modern liter bike in a straight line.
    Weighs about 100 pounds more than a liter bike but has anywhere from 10-20+ hp more depending on mods.
    Other than the piston block failure I have had no other major mechanical issues.
    Infidels Rule!

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2000 CBR 929RR & GSXR 1000K1
    Ya I forgot the Sprint ST and the Black bird.. those are definetly great machines, but harder to find used! In the end it will likely be the best deal available at the time. I really like the Sprints riding position and man are they sexy!!! I do want to do more touring but I don't want to lose the sport, so I'm thinking the VFR might be lacking in the power I want.

I spent 10 days and 3500km touring New Zealand this year on a Vstrom 1000, and though I loved the torque out of the corners, it was a top heavy machine and very unstable at higher speeds...

I would love a Blackbird in Blue or Black.. drool

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    The above mentioned bikes are excellent. However the OP stated he still like to "thrash" the bike. I'm not sure you can really thrash the ST1300/ST1100, FJ. True, if you are an excellent rider you can thrash almost any bike, I've seen it. Bottom line, many excellent sport touring bikes some more sport, some more touring. Good Luck
    A have a close friend with an ST1300, who could ride with any bike on here, you pull the bags off that baby and you basically have a Busa or B-king....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    2005 Hondabago
    You could thrash a ST... problem is the power is linear and electric so 3,000rpm and redline feel the same, tipping into a corner to the pegs isn't too exciting as it's stable and comfortable.
    Look not for happiness around the corner. Happiness is the corner. IBA#42642

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Two up changes everything. First off, the dimesions of said passenger, height and weight, pics will do, won't say no to nudes if you got em!!

Everything I've ever taken from the shop, the wife's been on the back of, and she's no lightweight, and not a miget.

She's hated everything, expect the MT-01, the Norge, ST1300, and the HD Ultra Classic. Rear seat's that slope suck for a passenger, no back rest sucks, high pegs suck. I never took her on the Concours 14, but I did take a friend and she loved it.

Conny 14, ST1300 would get my vote, FJR1300 as well. Those are proper SPORT/Touring bikes. Good power and torque, low center of gavity (not like a Strom), Electircally adjustable windscreens, heated grips, bags that come off (hard bags).

See if you can get some seat time on them, maybe someone on here is willing to lend you one. I beat on a ST1300, like wheelies and dragging it around corners, I know why the popo like em, they go. Regardless what other people think of them. It's about the riders. I ride a Harley more aggressive than most do their race reps.

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    Quote Originally Posted by crev-dog View Post

I would love a Blackbird in Blue or Black.. drool
    There's an FJR1300 and 1100XX at BBY Kawasaki right now. Good prices, go do some demo riding!

http://www.burnabykawasaki.com/motor...tory/index.htm
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2000 CBR 929RR & GSXR 1000K1
    The ST1300 just seams too touring.. with little sex appeal.. remember I'm in my early 30s.. but I still like wheelies!
    I found the SV1000 a ton of fun, stand ups in 3rd were do-able, but touring longer distances would put my hand to sleep from vibes and not the best wind protection or rear suspension.. it was easily upset when varying power inputs in corners and the fuel injection was twitchy.. but hey it had a great sound and the GF liked the big passenger seat! My SV also had the annoying clutch rod seal that leaked oil everywhere you parked.. very common on those bikes dating all the way back to the 97 TLS.

I find myself thinking of the Big bloated Busa and the ZX9R most.. as they are more common

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    I loved my 9R ... except my knees did not. I'm 6'1".

Plenty of 'sport' in the sport touring. Never added hard luggage to it, even on 5 day trips. You can pick one of for $3000 or less.
    Having only owned a KLR for the last couple of years, I'm actually thinking of a Versys as a 2nd bike with bags etc. Not enough motor for sporty 2 up riding, but for solo riding I think it might be a very handy touring rig with the ability to get sport when needed...

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    You'll have to ride around an abrupt, on / off fueling going from closed to opened throttle on the 9R. FYI.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by jeckyll View Post
    I'm actually thinking of a Versys as a 2nd bike with bags etc. Not enough motor for sporty 2 up riding, but for solo riding I think it might be a very handy touring rig with the ability to get sport when needed...
    It's a ton-o-fun, have thought of getting one more than once myself, great lil bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Kentor View Post
    Same with the Bandit 1250 (I owned a 2007), which lacked passenger room also and would push the front dramatically while railing the corners in N. Cali, mostly due to it's massive weight. (No offence Jay )
    No offence taken! Where is she at now?
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member