What is th best used Sport touring bike..? - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: What is th best used Sport touring bike..?

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Wow, good to see you back Devon
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    3 VFR1200s on here, all red. Statistically that's out there!
    Three of us now? Is that enough for a support group? Group Discounts?

Have any of you guys done a valve check on your bikes yourselves? I'm at 25,000 km ....... I'm certainly due.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    Honda
    BTW ........... I put this on my bike last year. I have a Kaoko one on there as well but hate those things. The varying speeds always drove me nuts.

https://www.v-performance.pl/en/cruise-control

Here is a write up from someone else on it .....

https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index....ed-and-tested/

Absolutely love it! I ran into a small issue during install but Prez, the manufacturer, was able to solve them with no major problems. After a season of use I am still very happy with the device. Not cheap at about $650 but damn, does it work well!
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    Three of us now? Is that enough for a support group? Group Discounts?

Have any of you guys done a valve check on your bikes yourselves? I'm at 25,000 km ....... I'm certainly due.
    Not yet for me.

I wouldn't be adverse to doing it when due, the only thing that kills me on this is pulling all the body work off.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    Honda
    I have gotten used to it ....... but I don't like it. Then I'm thinking off all the other bits and bobs that need removal to get to the valves ........ definitely a job where pre-made sandwiches and adult beverages at standby while Dire Straits and Bruce Springsteen are cued up in the CD player are a must. I moved the bike onto the bike table and straightened/swept the garage today as a start.

I've ordered the OEM wind deflectors and main stand along with the service manual today. Bikes ..... a never ending cost.

Bike
    RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikorsky View Post
    I have gotten used to it ....... but I don't like it. Then I'm thinking off all the other bits and bobs that need removal to get to the valves ........ definitely a job where pre-made sandwiches and adult beverages at standby while Dire Straits and Bruce Springsteen are cued up in the CD player are a must. I moved the bike onto the bike table and straightened/swept the garage today as a start.

I've ordered the OEM wind deflectors and main stand along with the service manual today. Bikes ..... a never ending cost.
    I got the Pitbull stand. About the same price and way more stable along with not adding extra weight to the bike.

Make sure to put up pics of the wind deflectors. I'm curious about those.
    Attached Images  
    Fill the house with bees.

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Great thread, strange that we would have 3x of the VFR12's in the house given their rarity. How is the wind management on the bike? How does it compare to other big bore hypersport bikes like the 14R? Do iridium visors come with the bike so that no one can identify you in public?

As for me, I've had a giant glass of the orange kool-aid and I'm hooked. KTM ADV bikes all the way for sport touring - lovely character, exciting to ride, sport bike fast, great ergonomics, and much more discrete than your typical 'rocket'. Super fun bike, a total hoot.

Registered User Array the bartender's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    as I shop for my next bike, the question is big bore ADV dual sport, or sport touring bike. Having the option to turn down any dirt side road, and just go explore is just so intriguing. There are just so many great bikes out there these days, if only we had transferable plates.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by the bartender View Post
    as I shop for my next bike, the question is big bore ADV dual sport, or sport touring bike. Having the option to turn down any dirt side road, and just go explore is just so intriguing. There are just so many great bikes out there these days, if only we had transferable plates.
    Check out the new 790 Adventure. Big enough to tour on, small enough to pick up. I definitely would not want to pick up my 1190 on a steep dirt road... Also, you're free to try out my bike sometime if you'd like. Be forewarned, it's a cult...

Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    Check out the new 790 Adventure. Big enough to tour on, small enough to pick up. I definitely would not want to pick up my 1190 on a steep dirt road... Also, you're free to try out my bike sometime if you'd like. Be forewarned, it's a cult...
    I sat on it, and it would be super fun fire road bike. But i want something i can relax on while on the highway. Something suitable for big KM.

I keep getting back to the Africa Twin, and if the Adventure Sport version had CC and a TFT dash, it would probably be a done deal for me.

Bike
    I sat on it, and it would be super fun fire road bike. But i want something i can relax on while on the highway. Something suitable for big KM.

I keep getting back to the Africa Twin, and if the Adventure Sport version had CC and a TFT dash, it would probably be a done deal for me.
    Have you ridden an AT? I think it would be very hard going from a Tuono to a ~85 whp and 500+lb bike. Also, consider that many find the AT very softly sprung and that you'll be running tubed tires...

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I got the Pitbull stand. About the same price and way more stable along with not adding extra weight to the bike.

Make sure to put up pics of the wind deflectors. I'm curious about those.
    I'm not overly worried about the weight, it's ground clearance. Asking online though there seems to be little reduction in lean angle. I almost ordered the Pitbull set-up a couple of times. But with a center stand I can lift the back anytime or front off the ground cinching the back down on the bike table. I shouldn't need to have both wheels in the air too often.

I'll put up photos once the wind deflectors are installed. I've slowly been adding the OEM accessories as I find them at decent prices, just a collecting kind of mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    Great thread, strange that we would have 3x of the VFR12's in the house given their rarity. How is the wind management on the bike? How does it compare to other big bore hypersport bikes like the 14R? Do iridium visors come with the bike so that no one can identify you in public?

As for me, I've had a giant glass of the orange kool-aid and I'm hooked. KTM ADV bikes all the way for sport touring - lovely character, exciting to ride, sport bike fast, great ergonomics, and much more discrete than your typical 'rocket'. Super fun bike, a total hoot.
    Newbusa (rarely on here these days) is a firm believer in the power of orange. It seems once the infection takes hold, no one can or wants to get rid of it. Great bikes for sure, I used to have a 990 Adventure.

No issues with wind management on the Honda. There is an odd looking OEM windshield that can go on but I purchased the tried and true Double Bubble.

I had a ZX14 before. The ergos are better for me on the Honda. But then I have heli-bars, Gilles rearsets and a Sargent seat ....... night and day from original ergos. Power is stupendous as it has been uncorked and tuned to 158 RWHP. But I think I would still put money on the Kawi once you get a "professional ride on a a closed course" straight line situation.

For big Adv bikes, I lean toward the Adv Sport version of the AT as well. But then, I'm kind of a Honda fan. Part of it is that legendary Honda reliability. Or should I say the image of it. Over the past 18 months, my XR650R, CB350/4, VFR1200 and Acura have all spent time in the garage or shop due to various issues ....... I guess love is blind.
    Last edited by Sikorsky; 01-21-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Bike
    2014 Aprilia Tuono V4R
    and if only we got this version of the VFR here.

https://www.motoplanete.com/honda/75...9/contact.html

Name:  Honda-VFR-800-F-2019-Interceptor-700px.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  123.3 KB

Bike
    Kawasaki Land Rover and a liter-twin and another one
    I do my touring on a SuperTenere now. Actually, I do most of my riding on it. Comfortable and quick enough (and frankly one of the slowest of the big ADV bikes). I don't see myself ever going back to a sportbike / touring bike. I still play on the Tuono, but man, my knees and back much prefer the big ADVs.

Won't do 200+, but I did a run through Hwy20 last year which included some gravel on the far side, and didn't miss having a roadbike. And it was spirited in the true sense of the word.

If you get a 1290 or a GS, slap some Pirelli Road 4's and have-at-'er, I don't think you'll miss a sport-touring bike. And on bumpy roads and rougher secondary roads, they are just so damn capable, even loaded.

YMMV of course.