What is th best used Sport touring bike..?
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is th best used Sport touring bike..?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2000 CBR 929RR & GSXR 1000K1

What is th best used Sport touring bike..?

I am 31, been riding for 14 years and have predominately had pure sport bikes. My two wheel history: 98 ZX6E, 00 CBR 929, 00 GSXR 750, 05 SV1000s, 07 CBR 600RR, 08 ZX6R & finally 07 Daytona 675.

I guess the bike that started it all was the 98 ZX6E.. or ZZR to others. I drove it like a supersport, and also put on many miles. The past few years I haven't put on a lot of km's, but this past summer I did some touring on my Daytona.. love the bike, but its terrible for 2up touring!!! The SV1000s I had was fun, and not too bad for touring, but I just wasn't ready yet

I want to do more 2up touring but I don't want to lose touch with the sport riding! I like to thrash the bike still.. I haven't yet out grown that.

So now I find myself considering these used big bore bikes:
    -Hayabusa
    -ZX12R Ninja
    -FZ1
    -Bandit 1250
    -Vstrom 1000
    -ZX9R Ninja
    -VFR800

My budget will be $5000-$6500 and I'd like hard bags, but its not a necessity.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Honda
    I see you don't have a ZX-14 on there ....... good, keep it off.

Unless your passenger is a 5'0" tall 80 lb individual, they will not be comfortable.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    DR650
    I currently have an 03 zx9. Its not too bad. With a better seat and that cruise control thing it wouldn't be too bad. Tank is big enough to lay down on too. Very good in cross winds and around tractor trailers.
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I think that the CBR1100XX SuperBlackBird is the best bang for your buck. FI, imo. Lot's of low kms for sale in the USA. One locally but I would low ball them b/c it needs some work. Burnaby Kawi. 3-5,000 get a decent Bird. My '02 has 178,000 trouble free kms. That being said it has many upgrades and add ons. I'm biased, obviously.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

California dreamin' Array KatRider's Avatar
    Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Why no Triumph ST? Too much like a sportbike? Passenger accomodation lacking?

Another option might be an FJR 1300?
    Work sucks -- let's go riding!

Bike
    K9 Vstrom 1000, 1979 XS100 Special.
    Quote Originally Posted by crev-dog View Post
    I am 31, been riding for 14 years and have predominately had pure sport bikes. My two wheel history: 98 ZX6E, 00 CBR 929, 00 GSXR 750, 05 SV1000s, 07 CBR 600RR, 08 ZX6R & finally 07 Daytona 675.

I guess the bike that started it all was the 98 ZX6E.. or ZZR to others. I drove it like a supersport, and also put on many miles. The past few years I haven't put on a lot of km's, but this past summer I did some touring on my Daytona.. love the bike, but its terrible for 2up touring!!! The SV1000s I had was fun, and not too bad for touring, but I just wasn't ready yet

I want to do more 2up touring but I don't want to lose touch with the sport riding! I like to thrash the bike still.. I haven't yet out grown that.

So now I find myself considering these used big bore bikes:
    -Hayabusa
    -ZX12R Ninja
    -FZ1
    -Bandit 1250
    -Vstrom 1000
    -ZX9R Ninja
    -VFR800

My budget will be $5000-$6500 and I'd like hard bags, but its not a necessity.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
    My thoughts, you are missing the Sprint Triple and the ST1100 or ST1300...

I think the ST1300 is one of the finest Sport touring bikes out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Peewee and Kevin from Bayside should get together and start a bike shop called, Fuck you and the bike you rode in on.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    The above mentioned bikes are excellent. However the OP stated he still like to "thrash" the bike. I'm not sure you can really thrash the ST1300/ST1100, FJ. True, if you are an excellent rider you can thrash almost any bike, I've seen it. Bottom line, many excellent sport touring bikes some more sport, some more touring. Good Luck

Back in the saddle, baby Array bc-lefty's Avatar
    Bike
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Vfr800!
    Where do I find the intake snackle??

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

Bike
    2004 R1, 2005 DL1000 V-Strom
    I like the versatility of the V-Strom, so this is the 3rd time I've bought one. Fairly light, more luggage capacity than a wing with the proper bags, lots-o leg room, low cost of ownership. Very fun to flick around in the corners, with good feel.

I've owned two 5th gen VFR's, and would recommend them also if your passenger accommodations didn't matter as much. Great fun in the corners with good feeling and a relaxed motor that has a great honk when you get on it.

I found the ST1300 to be wooden feeling in the corners, and well, it's almost a 700 lb bike. Same with the Bandit 1250 (I owned a 2007), which lacked passenger room also and would push the front dramatically while railing the corners in N. Cali, mostly due to it's massive weight. (No offence Jay )

I owned a 2000 ZX-9R, and loved solo-touring on that before I got old and brittle, but it's a more extreme riding position than a VFR. LOTS of fun in the twisties.

I did several two-up trips on my 2001 FZ1 with my wife. Her favorite bike to be a passenger on to date. I couldn't handle the windflow (buffeting) and handlebar vibes. Those issues on that bike don't seem to bother all people the same.

Can't comment on your other choices.
    Last edited by Mighty Kentor; 10-05-2011 at 06:50 PM.
    Reformatted to fit your screen.

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    CBR1100XX Blackbird. I want one to ride when my heap of fucking shit RC51 is broken down.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Lars View Post
    CBR1100XX Blackbird. I want one to ride when my heap of fucking shit RC51 is broken down.
    I'll let you ride mine; as long as you don't take it to Portland :-)

Registered User Array Son of Lars's Avatar
    Bike
    01 Honda RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    I'll let you ride mine; as long as you don't take it to Portland :-)
    How about California?

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I promise you it is comfy, fast, lots of storage, handles fine and looks good. You won't pass many on the road. But she's been to Cali this year already. Next time.

Ride the winds of change Array scooter's Avatar
    Bike
    Adventure and Sport
    I have stuck with the big guy's bikes. ZX9R, both V-Stroms, currently tour on a SV1000S with hard bags.

The ZX9R has some good quality components on it. Wonderful motor.

VFR is designed for touring. Motors last a long time. If you get a high mileage one and its been taken care of don't be too concerned.

Bandit has a very flat torque curve. Lot's of power. Becoming a bit too portly for me. Still want my sport in sport touring.

The DL1000 seems like a logical choice if you liked the SV1000. I went to the SV because I liked the motor in the DL. Spacious.

The large litre bikes like the Busa are over kill for me. I do not like the increased weight and the longer wheel base. Fuel economy starts to become an issue when your hard on the throttle.

Interested in the Aprilla Touno. A little aggressive in the foot peg hieght and not so good for touring.

The bike I keep coming back too is the KTM 990T. All write ups I have read say its a kick ass bike.
    You can put hard luggage on it. Suspension has different modes for comfort,sport, touring two up. ABS is on the 2011. Yes, these are still quirky bikes with the dry sump and screens for oil changes.
    Yes, more expensive then $6K. As I get older this bike appeals to me more and more for touring. Fun fun, fun !!
    Last edited by scooter; 10-05-2011 at 08:43 PM.