BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Lane Filtering

Please read regarding Lane Filtering Proposal

30K views 239 replies 71 participants last post by  nakedjordan 
#1 ·
On behalf of BCCOM

BCCOM has recently written a proposal for the “Legalization of Lane Filtering” that will be sent to the Minister of Transportation for review. Below are some of the safety measures BCCOM has asked to be in place to allow lane filtering. Once our proposal has been reviewed we will post it in its entirety.

“The rider must operate the motorcycle no more than 10 kilometers-an-hour faster than the rest of traffic.

Traffic can’t be going over 30 kilometers -an-hour.

Must not be done somewhere where the speed limit is less than 30 kilometers-an-hour such as a school, park or construction zone.

Must never ride in between vehicles where the mirrors won’t be able to see the motorcyclists (semi-trucks, large RV’s) utilizing the “if you can’s see my mirrors I can’t see you” message."

We a brief conversation with Transportation Minister Blair Lekstrom this morning and was told he had gotten only a “handful” of emails regarding the “Lane Filtering” proposal. I have a meeting with him December 7th and I would like to see his office flooded with emails regarding the proposal. If you want lane filtering please take the time to send an email supporting it. In the proposal part of the reasoning we used was reduction of congestion and green house gasses as well as safety factors i.e. rear ends. There are 2 studies on the front page of the BCCOM site www.bccom-bc.com for more information.

blair.lekstrom.mla@leg.bc.ca

See less See more
#2 ·
Adele,
Please can you give us appropriate snail mailing addresses. As you have said before, hand written letters are the best feedback for these sort of things (if I can just remember how to write!).
Thanks,
Paul

#6 ·
Not to beat a dead horse but please be aware that even though BCCOM has sent a proposal and is having a meeting with the Minister the most important person in this process is YOU! I have been told by many politicians over the years that they look at one letter as being that 100 other people feel the same way. Politicians want themselves and their parties to be re-elected and you as a voter count!

Yes a hand written letter shows you have taken the time but in this day and age emails are a close second.

#8 ·
At the expense of supporting a poll type of initiative, why not start an online petition that people can electronically sign?

The reality is, people are lazy, and in order to get a high level of support, you have to take steps to make it easy and quick.

If you had an online petition, that sent a consistent/united message, that people could simply click "submit", and perhaps attach
a name and address to, I can absolutely guarantee that you will get 100 times more participation. What I'm not sure of, is how
effective this method is, in terms of credibility to the receiver? I think, if the petition is set up in a way to disable the typical
anonymity associated with such a tool, by requiring legit contact info, it may hold water.

I know that the group who petitioned against Shaw, when they were trying to introduce usage billing on internet used this method,
and in the end, got great support, and I believe helped make the change......food for thought. Times are a changin, and why not
use every tool available, especially if it helps support the cause.

#10 ·
After having done several petitions and no success I have to say I am wary of them. Through talking with contacts in government I know that letters and emails actually have more sway in smaller numbers and that is what I am hoping for.

I agree though if there was an issue that I thought I could get 50,000 signatures on that is the way to go! Thanks for the input CHIA.

#9 ·
I emailed him last week. Will tell my other riding buddies to get on it. Good points about the safety implications of lane filtering like rear enders. I'm sure if ppl heard this they will more likely go for it - getting hit from behind at a red light by a texter is one of the worst nightmares of all riders.

#13 ·
I sent this:

Dear minister Lekstrom,

I would like to take this opportunity to voice my support for the lane filtering proposal that the BC coalition of motorcyclists' has recently brought to your attention.

As you are well aware, distracted driving continues to be a problem despite recent legislation in the MVA with regards to handheld electronic devices. I am on the road every day in a large work truck and I can tell you first hand that about 1 in 3 (33%) continue to operate a motor vehicle with an electronic device either in their lap or in their hands. As a motorcyclist I continue to live in fear of being rear ended while sitting at a traffic light and must be vigilant to protect myself.

I feel the lane filtering proposal will give motorcyclists that much more of a fighting chance to avoid a collision with another vehicle. A simple rear end collision that may result in momentary discomfort for a car occupant may prove fatal for a motorcyclist.

There are of course other benefits such as easing traffic congestion and reducing carbon emissions to name a few.

Sincerely,

#30 · (Edited)
Sent. It was an essay.

I'd be happy just using the shoulder at no more than 30KPH while traffic is stopped in the adjacent lane.
AND
Use of bike lanes at no more than 30 KPH and passing cyclists at no more than 5 KPH relative speed.

I'm not even sure lane filtering would work in Vancouver since the lanes are so narrow already. Yes, Europe has narrow lanes as well... but filtering is mainly applied to the scooter guys. In Cali (and most of the U.S.), the lanes are much wider and lane filtering makes absolute sense there.

#32 · (Edited)
I'm not even sure lane filtering would work in Vancouver since the lanes are so narrow already.
In Cali (and most of the U.S.), the lanes are much wider and lane filtering makes absolute sense there.
Once the law is passed, road design regulations will have to change to reflect the changes needed to ensure safety. I know personally two engineers who design roads in the lower mainland. In fact, one of the engineers is involved with the Port Mann Bridge Expansion project. Safety is always on their minds, and one of them is a motorcyclist.

IMHO, the riders only need to concern themselves with getting the law passed. Professional engineers is required by law, and therefore is also required by their professional engineering association, to be ethical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.