BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Lane Filtering

Please read regarding Lane Filtering Proposal

30K views 239 replies 71 participants last post by  nakedjordan 
#1 ·
On behalf of BCCOM

BCCOM has recently written a proposal for the “Legalization of Lane Filtering” that will be sent to the Minister of Transportation for review. Below are some of the safety measures BCCOM has asked to be in place to allow lane filtering. Once our proposal has been reviewed we will post it in its entirety.

“The rider must operate the motorcycle no more than 10 kilometers-an-hour faster than the rest of traffic.

Traffic can’t be going over 30 kilometers -an-hour.

Must not be done somewhere where the speed limit is less than 30 kilometers-an-hour such as a school, park or construction zone.

Must never ride in between vehicles where the mirrors won’t be able to see the motorcyclists (semi-trucks, large RV’s) utilizing the “if you can’s see my mirrors I can’t see you” message."

We a brief conversation with Transportation Minister Blair Lekstrom this morning and was told he had gotten only a “handful” of emails regarding the “Lane Filtering” proposal. I have a meeting with him December 7th and I would like to see his office flooded with emails regarding the proposal. If you want lane filtering please take the time to send an email supporting it. In the proposal part of the reasoning we used was reduction of congestion and green house gasses as well as safety factors i.e. rear ends. There are 2 studies on the front page of the BCCOM site www.bccom-bc.com for more information.

blair.lekstrom.mla@leg.bc.ca

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#39 · (Edited)
Sent in a short email. I'd ride up the front steps of the legislature in a pink g string if this ever passes but WTF. Any hope of getting the 40k over adjusted to 60k over in 80+ zones and the limits raised by 10 - 20 k?

#42 ·
I sent an email as well, citing those sentiments here and also as to the confusion of motorists who view a single motorcycle lamp as that being combined with a nearby car, effectively allowing other motorists to misjudge distance or not even realize a cycle is there in the first place. Oh, also in favour of the air-cooled guys who have to sit in so much heat during the summer.

#45 ·
mine sent using various letters cut out of magazines and newpapers. With pictures of Chainsaws and meat cleavers. Saying like
Dez R My frends. Lain filterz or frends paiz yoose visit

seriously tho. be nice to have this pass. And i think once the unwashed public get used to the idea of bikes filtering it will be accepted
in much the same way bikes are allowed to front of the line at the ferry terminals.

#47 · (Edited)
I was just in San Francisco, yes lane filtering is allowed in California. I saw two motorcyclists almost get squashed in under 10 minutes, I am sure that if the Transportation Ministry allowed lane filtering here they would have a pandemic of motorcycle deaths and injuries.

May not be the best idea, but I sent an email for it anyways.

Bison you are in law enforcement, what do you think?

#48 · (Edited)
I sent in my thoughts, and in short, I'm not in favour of it for a number of reasons, none of which have to do with laws and all to do with safety. I used to teach it to Police MC riders for emergency and enforcement use, but we stopped it because of the likelyhood of crashes happening. I have picked & filtered my way thru traffic on a fully-marked Cop bike in full uniform and had several close calls from drivers who moved in their lanes as I closed in on them. All you need is to have them on their cell or texting or changing a tune and move a couple of inches and you are trapped with nowhere to go. Getting to the head of the line uninjured is one thing, but being first into the intersection, and being almost invisible at the same time, does not bode well for rider safety. The bikes blends into the front of the cages behind them. I teach my riding school students to NOT lane filter, for safety reasons alone.

With my experience of picking up after crashes across BC for a couple of decades, I don't trust the average driver to do the best things for motorcycle safety. We just have to review the posts here about how cagers don't see us most of the time, let alone respect us when they do.[/QUOTE

#50 ·
i hope this passes so we can do it legally. having said that, personally i try not to do it unless the traffic is very bad and cars are stopped or moving slowly. i just don't trust other drivers.

if/when this goes in effect i can only imagine the mess it's going to create in trying to assign fault in case of accident. it'll probably be an automatic 50/50.

#53 ·
In fact, in California where lane splitting is not illegal, it has been confirmed to me twice by CHP that if there is a collision between a lane splitting bike and another vehicle, it is 100% guaranteed that fault be placed on the lane splitting bike.

I certainly appreciate BCCOM working hard for motorcycles rights,,,many things we enjoy are the result of their efforts. This current push for lane splitting however, I question. Clearly, modern vehicle [cage] drivers in this region will not adapt to this new freedom of bikes, at best, bikes will be innocently rubbed off the road, squished between other cars,,,,,,and at worst, and probably most common in my experience in local lane splitting, drivers who simply WILL NOT accept another vehicle getting in front, jumping in line, just because the vehicle is much smaller. There will be road rage, people WILL run bikes off the road, block them, spit at them, open door on them. I GUARANTEE it will be carnage time,,,,,and it will ALWAYS be the bike riders fault.

Steve

#54 ·
It's true current drivers won't adapt well and I can't see this being a daily resort for where I ride but come the summer and when a 2 lane road is shut down for whatever reason and I'm trapped I'd happy to make a legal egress.

And once 2 decades have passed and the cagers are used to it because they grew up seeing it and learned to drive while it was in force those riders on the road then can tip their hat to the folks that started the process.

#56 ·
And once 2 decades have passed and the cagers are used to it because they grew up seeing it and learned to drive while it was in force those riders on the road then can tip their hat to the folks that started the process.
+1 That's the spirit!! :)

#55 · (Edited)
There is some excellent input here, and I hope Blair & Co are reading this! :)

A few points:

• I've been a regular urban cyclist in Vancouver for about a quarter century now and have lots of experience with lane filtering on two wheels. It *does* work, and I believe a lot of it is directly applicable to motorized 2-wheelers.
  • Filtering is not for newbs or people with less than excellent vehicle control (Class 8 & 6L riders should have "no filtering" as a restriction). It is not for those who are UNwilling to accept full responsibility for their own safety.
  • There is no way this initiative will succeed without a well-thought-out and implemented motorist education campaign. As Steve points out, there will be road users who will attempt vehicular assault (any rider who experiences this should get a license plate number and call 9-1-1 and press charges if possible).
  • I humbly suggest that a parallel proposal should be to improve the QUALITY of road users through increased licensing standards. In my mind, there is NO EXCUSE for not having road users retake the ICBC Knowledge Test when renewing their licenses every 5 years. If a certain score is not obtained, a Road Test should be mandatory. Dangerous drivers need to be re-educated/retrained or have their road-use privilege revoked.
  • This inititiative CAN be successful, but it will take a serious review of best practices (UK/Ireland?)

#58 ·
I've heard it time and time again in business. "That will never work, we've done it this way for so long... you can't change it now."

Over and over, ad nauseum.

Obviously there are differences in this scenario, but it's far too easy to just look at something and go "Nah, that will never fly", rather than saying... "You know what,
that would be great for me at times... what can be done to make it happen."

So many of the folks I've dealt with over the years that were up in arms at the time
now reflect back and go... "Gee, you were right. I was making a big deal over
nothing... people can and do change habits."

#59 ·
I have to say I’d be really P’d off if we look back in a couple of years time and found out that this initiative got kaiboshed by bikers themselves.

There is no question that there would be “growing pains”, but how much empirical evidence from around the world, does it need for people to understand that there is a net gain to be had by implementing this.

At the end of the day, if it’s successful, no-one HAS to filter. It becomes a legal option that is there for the taking, and allows us to exploit one of the primary advantages of motorcycles as transportation.

I found Bison’s input interesting and respect his views. I have been street riding for 40 years. 25 years in Europe, mainly the UK where I lived prior to emigrating. Lane sharing was just a way of life. It has it’s own type of potential hazards that one adapts to. Riding a motorcycle is risky – but you can minimize and manage your risk.

I will just reiterate, I’m emphatically in favor of this proposal.

Incidentally, the “YouTube” type of videos of lane “filtering” is not representative – in case anyone thought otherwise!

#72 ·
Perhaps I should clarify. I'd like it to happen,,heck I do it right now and it's illegal. I just want to point out that there will be carnage, as motorcyclists [not all, but many] go about using/flaunting their new-found right to do this practice. And yes, I'm sure that the general car driving public will get used to this over 5-10 yrs, but many squashed bodies will be the result of this learning process.

I also want to point out that I never have, nor will I EVER start riding along the side of the road to get ahead of traffic, I only lanesplit amongst the lanes of cars. These are two TOTALLY separate things,,,,,

Oh, and BTW, the info I gave regarding California charging 100% blame to lanesplitters when there's a collision, this is right from 2 CHP officers, one 5 yrs ago at a Cycle Gear shop in Santa Rosa, and one from a CHP in Monteray during Moto GP 3 yrs ago.

Steve

#60 ·
One additional point: we can probably get cagers to "buy in" if part of the re-education program emphasizes that this will help decrease traffic congestion overall. Once you appeal to people's self-interest, you can get them on-board.

Heck, it might even help people start to consider using two wheels for some of their transportation needs :)

#67 ·
Far less risky than a soccer mum driving a couple of tons of minivan, trying to drink her breakfast coffee while dealing with squabbling kids in the back seats.
I know, we live right across the road from a school.

#71 ·
I spent three days last week riding in SoCal and I was a little apprehensive about lane sharing. I followed a couple of riders through traffic and then I was hooked. It seems as though as long as everyone is on the same page, it works really well. Drivers actually pull aside to let you by.

I would be very cautious when (I hope, anyway) this becomes law for the simple fact that there is a great deal of drivers now that don't see or respect riders and I don't see that changing as quickly as we would all like. But I do hope it becomes law as it will allow us all to benefit from something we already do.

#76 ·
Erm... police usually rides those whales of hardley davidsons that are unable to do... well anything.

are you telling me you proceed from the intersection before making sure all cars are stopped? It didnt take me years of being an instructor or something like that to notice that there is a delay between when BOTH sides are red and one side turning green. So unless you leave on the rid light (when the other side's light is still yellow), there isnt much of a concern.

There's a simple way of making that concern even less. Wait half a second before taking off and bloody look both ways just like when you cross the street. Maybe add that to your teaching points :)

#78 · (Edited)
I think you have to look at this as another potential convenience for motorcyclists in
the Province.

You may never choose to lane filter yourself. Great. Good for you. Perhaps you see it as too
much risk for your skillset, or too much risk for your risk tolerance. That is your own choice.

Personally, I'm not interested in filtering up through cars to a stop light just to give them the
"na-na-na-na-boo-boo" on my way home to save myself a minute here and there. Some of you may.

What I want is the legal ability to proceed through massive traffic jams caused by long weekend
or accident volume.

You may never lane filter in your life. But if this doesn't pass, or if it does... there will be a day
on Highway 1 when it's 35 degrees and you are sweating your bag off, stuck in traffic because
someone ran off the road... and you will wish you had a legal alternative to progress through
traffic as opposed to taking the chance at getting a ticket... like many I am sure have had in the
past.

Great... maybe you want to filter in rushour downtown... good, that is your perogative. If that
fits in your risk and skill profile, cool. I don't ride down there, and if I did.. I would evaluate
each filtering situation with a new risk assessment.

If you take off before the intersection is clear and get smoked, your fault. If you filter at
speeds above the recommended or legislated levels an get smoked, your fault. If you choose
to filter, be aware potential hazzards.. and make sure you evaluate them vs. reward.

Some of the people on here can't seem to navigate on a two lane road using their own lane
without having altercations or issues with cars - this is NOT for you. Many are able to ride
in constant traffic and have the ability to pick up, evaluate and process what is happening
to reduce the chance they are in a situation. It's true. They go years without close calls, never mind having one weekly like some folks seem to.

Motorcycling isn't for everyone. It requires the constant evaluation of massive amounts of
data.. processing information. Everyone that rides can clearly use the brakes, clutch gas
and balance. Those skills almost ANYONE can demonstrate. That is not what makes you
a safe motorcyclist in traffic.

And for those thinking my message is I can levitate beyond your abilities, this is not
the case. I avoid riding in congested city traffic as much as possible, because in my
opinion the risk is not worth the reward. I don't do it enough to consider myself
proficient enough. I'd need to do it more frequently to be comfortable. I try to ride my
motorcycle as FAR away from traffic as is possible. To me, it is NOT a commuter
vehicle... it is purely 100%, recreational toy. I have much to learn about riding,
even after 21 accident free years on the street.

Thank-you, over and out.

#79 ·
best post I've seen on this topic.

I may never filter through traffic myself and have concerns about doing so but I do support the proposal because I realize others, much more experienced and skilled than I, would like the option and would be able to better judge whether or not to do it. Someone should add Bandito's post to the proposal ;)

#84 ·
I think the years of being a cop took away your ability to stand back and say "fuck. people should have a choice".

I want a choice to be able to do it. Does not mean i will filter to every light. Heck, i barely do this in traffic at lights. Usually go into the curb lane and not between cars.

I want the choice to not be stuck clutching the bike for 30km of parking lot on highway 1. Fuck, i take the bloody shoulder anyways. Most cars i see actually move over a bit to give me room.

But hey, of course you know what's best for me.

#87 ·
When you are at speed you are not worrying about balancing or keeping motorcycle straight. You can cleanly pass through a narrow gap. Remember the first section of the parking lot MST test. You have to move in straight line at a walking pace. That section would be very very easy if you were to ask to do it at 20+km/h speeds.

Unlike MST test, in reality you are allowed to put your foot down (foot paddle), when passing through stopped traffic. Happy now? Win?

#90 ·
When you are at speed you are not worrying about balancing or keeping motorcycle straight. You can cleanly pass through a narrow gap. Remember the first section of the parking lot MST test. You have to move in straight line at a walking pace. That section would be very very easy if you were to ask to do it at 20+km/h speeds.

Unlike MST test, in reality you are allowed to put your foot down (foot paddle), when passing through stopped traffic. Happy now? Win?
Slow riding should never include riding with your feet down (foot paddle)
Kills me when I see people "walking" their bikes.
Drag your rear brake and feather your clutch. That's how it's done

#88 ·
I've been a rider for more than 48 years and was a cop for 28...and I rode for 20 years before I became a Cop. People do have a choice and I choose to not volunteer to get myself hurt if I have a safer option. Others may choose as they wish and accept the consequences. I have experienced those consequences and choose to not go there when i have a choice. Ride your own ride.

#95 · (Edited)
they were on their civvie bikes. couple of old farts. i think one was on one of those LongReachAround to Starbucks BMW types.

or i could have sat there for 2 hours in the parking lot "obeying the law" waiting for some numbie to rear end me?

What were the cops going to do if they were there? Chase me through the grid lock?

BTW, that time we were moving maybe 10kph between parked cars and about half of them attempted to make the gap larger. Even the usual dbagmobiles did not swerve into me.

Did you ever hear of something called discretion or are you one of those black/white letter of the law types regardless how fucking stupid it is? Im sure you would have made the street safer from such a dangerous lunatic riding 10kph in what is essentially a 2 lane parking lot. You probably would have gotten a medal for it as well and felt damn proud of saving innocent babies i would have run over (that would rappel down from a chopper onto the bridge deck) in my complete and utter disregard for everyone's safety. Not to mention making the gridlock even worse, as everything you describe equals to about 6 points and warrants a tow truck... I m sure all the drivers would have been giving you thumbs up (maybe wrong thumb).

Give your head a shake.

BTW, this is where you are trying to keep me from having the legal choice depending on the situation
I sent in my thoughts, and in short, I'm not in favour of it for a number of reasons,
The guverming dude is going to look at it and say "see, this is a cop with xxxx years of xxxx blahblahblah safety think of the children".

STOP TRYING TO SAVE ME FROM MYSELF.

PS
every time you went over speed limit in your personal vehicle (and dont say you didnt), did you issue yourself a VT for speeding? Every time you rolled through an empty 4-way (as in slowing down to 2-3kph making sure and proceeding)?

#97 ·
i guess people in
# Austria
# Belgium
# Brazil
# Croatia
# Cyprus
# Estonia
# Greece
# Ireland
# Italy
# Japan
# Netherlands (jurisprudence assigns responsibility in case of accidents to the car driver [60])
# New Zealand
# Norway
# Oman
# Poland [61]
# Portugal
# Qatar
# Singapore
# Spain
# South Africa
# Turkey
# U.A.E.
# United Kingdom
# United States
are all wrong according to Bison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.