Another Getting Pulled Over Story...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Getting Pulled Over Story...

Bike
    R1 and Husky

Another Getting Pulled Over Story...

First off, I'm not going to say where I was so that the cop doesn't get in trouble...

I was riding back home with a case of beer in my backpack that i had just bought. I went onto a twin lane freeway and some joker in a blue civic or something starts riding my ass. I'm in the passing lane and he is trying to overtake me in the right lane, then slowing when I slow down. I say fuck this and pin it to get outa dodge. Next thing the lights and sirens are going off behind me.

I pull over, and the cop asks me for the usual licence and insurance. He asks me the usual question "Do you know why I'm pulling you over?". I say "I assume its for speeding".

He asks me why and I said because there was a car behind me that was tailing me and giving me grief. He says "was it a blue car?", I said yes.

He went back to his car and ran me through their system. He comes back and says "do you know the driver of the blue car?", I said no. "Do you have and previous driving offenses?", I said no.

He said "I'm going to give you a warning, but you were going damn fast my friend".

I said thank you and we left it at that.

Some cops do actually understand what we have to deal with.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Honda
    So you got pulled over..... And what happened to the blue civic?

Something doesnt add up. If he was only gonna issue u a warning and he knew about the civic then why didnt he just pull that guy over?

Registered User Array SuaveDave's Avatar
    Bike
    '02 Ducati 998
    Quote Originally Posted by BROSKI View Post
    So you got pulled over..... And what happened to the blue civic?

Something doesnt add up. If he was only gonna issue u a warning and he knew about the civic then why didnt he just pull that guy over?
    Clearly math isn't your strong suit if you can't add this one up. My guess is that another driver either saw what was going on between Ripster and the driver of the blue Civic and called the cops or moron drivers being moron drivers, said driver continued down the highway driving like an idiot and pissed somebody else off, prompting them to call the cops.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2008 suzuki
    Choc one up for the good guys.

Registered User Array fish_antlers's Avatar
    Bike
    itali-scrap
    Was the cop driving the blue civic ? What's the twist ?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2010 Aprilia Sport City 300(Scooter)
    These days, depending on how fast you were going, you were lucky he didn't try to charge you with racing and seize your bike. We need prima facie speed limits in BC where speeding over the limit is defendable by necessity. Otherwise in your situation you could be hooped with the wrong cop.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by itootill View Post
    These days, depending on how fast you were going, you were lucky he didn't try to charge you with racing and seize your bike. We need prima facie speed limits in BC where speeding over the limit is defendable by necessity. Otherwise in your situation you could be hooped with the wrong cop.
    "Of course I was doing 175kph... I have a 1000km loop to ride and my wife told me I needed to be home to mow the lawn by 4pm".

In the case of the OP, he probably had better options that pinning his bike to "get out of dodge" to solve his problem.
    Last edited by bandito; 07-18-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    I've had one situation where I did the same, BUT I know I had other options available. I just wanted to get the hell away from the ass behind me driving too close. The problem is that if you accelerate, you're encouraging the asshole behind you and if you get stuck at the next light, like I did, then they're now expecting you to speed up if they stay on your ass so they'll continue to do it.

While the OP did catch a break from an understanding officer, it could have easily gone the wrong way and it certainly wouldn't have been the cop's fault for punishing him. I can't imagine how many excuses these guys must hear every day, you can't possibly expect them to take everything they're told at face value. At some point they're going to have to go with what they saw and how believable the person they're dealing with is.

This worked out in favor of the OP, but there's no way you can fault the cop if he wasn't so forgiving.

You're never going to see speeding as a necessity allowed. In most cases, it's just going to make the situation worse or put others at risk. Rather than create another problem they need to seriously crack down on tailgating and texting/calling while driving.

Registered User Array
    Bike

Absolute vs Prima Facie

Three states have them. Texas Utah and RH. I think the officer would have been very unreasonable if he had seen the blue car and not accepted the "excuse" regardless of how many they hear. However, if he had not and you had gone to court to explain yourself ... good luck getting off with an excuse which is what many think they can do. The law needs to be changed.

Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    Three states have them. Texas Utah and RH. I think the officer would have been very unreasonable if he had seen the blue car and not accepted the "excuse" regardless of how many they hear. However, if he had not and you had gone to court to explain yourself ... good luck getting off with an excuse which is what many think they can do. The law needs to be changed.
    a lot of US states also don't require helmets as well, but I think most of us would agree that wearing one is the right choice.

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post
    a lot of US states also don't require helmets as well, but I think most of us would agree that wearing one is the right choice.
    "choice" ... exactly

Bike
    DR650
    The civic was goin to use you as a speed block and it worked perfectly. Good on the cop though for not being an autobot.
    Click to View

Law of Logical Argument - "Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticSouth on ADVRider.com
    If i was put here on earth to be a practical functional, purposeful member of society... im a happy FAIL

Bike
    2012 ninja 650

"choice" ... exactly

Registered User Array
    Bike

Prima Facie

Let's take passing opportunities denoted by broken lines as an excellent example of why strict enforcement of speed limits with no prima facie provision is both unsafe and unfair.

It is not legal to exceed the posted limit while overtaking.

If you are following a slow vehicle, say doing 10 k below in a 100 zone ... likely an already unrealistic speed limit, which so many are on BC roads, and you decide to overtake by accelerating to the speed limit. You will be overtaking a vehicle traveling at 25 m per second by traveling at a speed of 27.7 m per second. In other words it takes you a minute to travel an extra 150 meters ( approx 2/3 of a km), to pass the guy in front of you. How safe is that? Particularly when there is oncoming traffic? How safe is it for anybody if you don't make the best decision (depending).... and hammer it to pass? Do what many have done in BC and you will lose your vehicle. There have been over 20,000 seizures in BC, many for excessive speed since the new MVA was announced in Fall of 2010.
    Last edited by itootill; 07-18-2012 at 09:21 AM.