Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding... - Page 2
Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 17 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Insert User Title Here. Array TripleTime's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes.
    oh and to answer your question - yes the mc tag game is alive and well. Kind of sputtered out a bit later this summer, but the spring game was pretty fun. A good excuse to get out and ride. You know, for those of us with jobs and kids and stuff, lol

Looks like a grand adventure. We'll all be here keeping the economy going so you can carry on lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    BMW
    I'm not envious at all

Have a great journey

Nice rides by the way!
    "There's probably no god. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life"

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    inspired, and subscribed...
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I've been following you on the other site.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

A long way from home... Array lightcycle's Avatar
    Bike
    2008 1098R
    Repost from: http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/3.html

The Gaspe peninsula lies on the south shore of the Saint Lawrence River. It's kind of a pain to get to for most Torontonians because of the sheer distance to get to the start of the peninsula - about 1,000 kms by slab - definitely more than a long weekend trip. But since we didn't have anything to do for the next two and half weeks...

Riding around the Gaspe Peninsula

There are a lot of Can-Am Spyders riding around the area. I counted, and every third motorcycle we passed was a Spyder. Maybe Bombardier was having a sale for the locals? It got so ridiculous, that when Neda passed a Spyder, instead of waving, she would do the Incey Wincey Spider motion with her hand. Got some puzzled looks from that one!

Souvenir shop on the shores of Gaspe

We stopped in Rimouski to eat our lunch in a parking lot of a grocery store and we saw what looked to be a motorcycle school. We thought it was just a basic licensing course until they started doing stunts!

I like their stunting gear...

Highway 132 winds its way on the south shore, passing through many picturesque seaside towns. The weather here is cool, low 20s, and my Weather app on my iPhone is still defaulting to Toronto's heat wave. I've got a sliding window of three cities on my app now - where we are, where we're going to be tomorrow, and some mid-way destination. Nomad 21st-century style...

Someone painted the rock in the waters outside Saint-Flavie like an Egyptian Pharoah
    Aptly named, "Pharoah Rock"

As we reached closer to the tip of the peninsula, the roads got tighter and tighter and we had a bit of fun twisting the throttle as we rolled into Forillon National Park. We arrived too late to go hiking and had to pitch our tent in the dark. Thank god it wasn't raining, as it usually does on our trips!

Big rock at Perce. We would ride around the coast and walk around the strait in about 20 minutes.

The next morning we set off south towards New Brunswick, still hugging the coastline past Perce to Chaleur Bay where we caught the highway south. We did stop to visit the big rock at Perce, as it's one of the famous landmarks in the Gaspe region.

Cormorants dive-bombing the water for fish

It was close to low tide, as the waters were low enough for you to walk to the rock.
    If you waited there till high tide, you'd be stranded!

Bike
    2008 1098R

Walking around Perce

Neda and Kim Jong-Il posing in front of the big rock at Perce

Coastline at the Gaspe peninsula.

Big stretch break for the GS and Neda

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    Best of luck on your adventures! How excellent that you've the ability and guts to do this.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Ah.. the Gaspe, went around there on bikes in 1980, lovely place and people then.

Safe travels!
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Registered User Array bakwheeltango's Avatar
    Bike
    Z1000, GSXR1000
    wow! amazing! good for you!
    Z1000 - GSXR1000

'Busa girls, God love 'em Array Argyle's Avatar
    Bike
    06 'Busa
    You two are doing what all of us dream of. Looks like you will have a great journey. Jealous !!

Thanks again for introducing us to your Motorcycle tag game...It lives on over the years...with numerous mods taking the torch to keep it going !!

Cheers and ride safe

Registered User Array bakwheeltango's Avatar
    Bike
    Z1000, GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post

Big stretch break for the GS and Neda
    who needs a sunrise bro?! that's a beautiful site to see!
    Z1000 - GSXR1000

That new bike smell Array mondocycle's Avatar
    Bike
    Multi
    What everyone else said + outstanding eye for the photos. Pics alone are worth scrolling through.
    Log off and ride.
    Acta Virum Probant

Bike
    2008 1098R
    I was looking at our other trips yesterday and I noticed I was in BC exactly 7 years ago to the day! This was taken Sept 19, 2005 out near Port Alberni:

Bike
    2008 1098R
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelsLESS View Post
    Great stuff. I was up on Mt. Baker the other day and saw a couple of riders that have been riding on the road for 15months so far. They had their bike shipped (from Europe) to the southern tip of S. America. What a carefree life.
    That's cool! We just met a guy from Spain who shipped his bike over as well. He was doing a 5-month trip around the Americas. We're meeting a lot of people on the road, some local and others on extended tours. I love talking to the locals because they've always got the inside line on the best roads in the area, and we always try to take their advice.

Bike
    2008 1098R

Neda's take on a PB&J sandwich in Forrilon National Park, in Gaspe

Found a great campsite in St-Louis-de-Kent, NB!

These two pictures above typify our experience so far - camping and eating groceries. We're trying to stretch our travel dollar, since technically we're both unemployed and homeless!

We dawdled quite a bit on the Gaspe peninsula, so trying to budget time as well, we decided to boot it across New Brunswick and Nova Scotia - all the while feeling continually rushed to see as much of the Maritimes as possible before we had to make it back to Toronto by the end of the month to close our condo and sell the remaining vehicles before our next leg. Having to shop for groceries everyday and find a campsite before nightfall didn't help matters any!

So.. not a lot of pictures from this segment...

Our first taste of seafood in the Maritimes!

As we passed Antigonish, NS, we saw a sign for McLobster. It was more like McRobster - didn't taste very good and robbed us of $6.89! We met Sean at the McDonald's, who happened to be the city planner for Antigonish, and he urged us to ride around town, so we did. Nice town, shame about their McDonald's...

We did keep in contact with Sean a few times over e-mail as he had invited us to his cottage in Halifax, but the timing was off and we never did meet up.

Neda catches up on some light reading while waiting for the ferry

The ferry to Newfoundland departs from North Sydney, which is on the eastern coast of Nova Scotia. We arrived early and took our place in line with a lot of other Newfoundlanders waiting to go home. I had a long discussion with Robert, a francophone from St-Pierre-et-Miqeulon, a little island off the south coast of Newfoundland that is actually a part of France! He had a Goldwing and we were both talking in broken Franglais about motorcycles and riding. How I wished I learned more French in high school, he was a really great guy!

Waiting to board the ferry for Newfoundland

Our bikes get to travel across the Gulf of St Lawrence in the underbelly of the ferry, comforted by the weight of dozens of 18-wheelers above our heads.

While we were waiting in line, some locals told us that the winds on the coast of Newfoundland got so high, they blew 18-wheelers off the road. We tied our bikes down real good after hearing that, but it was pretty smooth sailing all the way to The Rock.