What's on the skills test? Course and instructions inside

Thread: What's on the skills test? Course and instructions inside

Fookin Prawn Array

Question What's on the skills test? Course and instructions inside

Here'st he course outline that I wrote after doing the VISC course. The ICBC test might be slightly different, but basically the same thing.

Step 1.
    Remove bike off kick stand and walk bike to designated cones. Put bike on kick stand. Get on bike and start her up, remove kick stand.

Step 2.
    Ride bike at a walking pace to Step 3, tester may tell you to speed up or slow down. Stop with your front wheel between the 4 designated cones at Step 3.

Step 3.
    Complete a U-turn, exit and ride through the slalom without stopping. When your rear tire has passed the last cone in the slalom you must come to a stop. You may now ride OR walk your bike to step 4, this part is is not tested.

Step 4.
    Do a sharp left hand turn through the cones and again ride at a walking pace and stop between the 4 cones marked on step 3. Complete step 3 again, U-turn and slalom. Stop after rear tire goes passed the last cone in the slalom. Ride OR walk bike to step 5.

Step 5.
    Do a sharp right hand turn. After the turn you must speed up to 25-30 km/h(apparently ICBC doesn't do this one) and shift into second gear. Do a loop around the course, when you get to the other side (where the line is) the tester will be standing there with his hand up. When he puts his hand down, you must come to a safe and complete stop as fast as you can, as well as shift down into first gear. The tester will ask you what gear you're in. Your response should be "First gear."

Step 6.
    Go back to step 5, and repeat this step. After you have come to a stop again the tester will ask what gear you're in (first, right?) and then ask you to turn off your bike. He will tell if you've passed or failed immediately.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2002 Honda CBR 954RR
    This brings back memories...
    LOL
    Roger
    Tmustang you are clear for take off

Registered User Array
    Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmustang View Post
    This brings back memories...
    LOL
    Reminds me of the times where me and my bro rode out to empty lots with a case of water bottles to setup this course for weeks

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    98GL
    Your illustration of steps 5 & 6 are not correct. You do the "high speed u turn" inside the 10m width of the MST skill course, riding back thru the 4 cone stop box, back down the "slow speed ride track" and then stop when the examiner indicates. You show going way wide and stopping at some sort of other set of cones??? Do this on your MST and you will fail for going outside the course boundary. BTW, there is no requirement to shift into 2nd gear....you can if you wish but the bike must be in 1st gear when stopped. If VISC administers the MSA for you they are required to administer the test as I described above. It is in the MSA instructor's handbook.
    Last edited by Bison; 07-19-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    Your illustration of steps 5 & 6 are not correct. You do the "high speed u turn" inside the 10m width of the MST skill course, riding back thru the 4 cone stop box, back down the "slow speed ride track" and then stop when the examiner indicates. You show going way wide and stopping at some sort of other set of cones??? Do this on your MST and you will fail for going outside the course boundary. BTW, there is no requirement to shift into 2nd gear....you can if you wish but the bike must be in 1st gear when stopped. If VISC administers the MSA for you they are required to administer the test as I described above. It is in the MSA instructor's handbook.
    ya, that drawing is gimped, and the numbering/explanation is confusing, and not 100% correct as you noted. dunno why that got stickied.

Bike
    98GL
    If you are confused, just drop by at the next scheduled MST at your local test centre and watch...or if you are still confused, PM me, no charge. I run my own riding school and have trained hundreds for the MST over the years.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2007 CBR1000rr
    The Motorcycle Skills Assessment Procedures Manual is now here http://www.dtcbc.com/driver-certific...ocs/mv1450.pdf it shows the dimensions of the course and how it is adjusted for your motorcycle.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650
    YouTube helps too

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Ninja 250R, 300 & 650