Pre-exsisting medical condition and travel out of Canada

Thread: Pre-exsisting medical condition and travel out of Canada

Bike
    2007 R-1

Pre-exsisting medical condition and travel out of Canada

Ok Guys and Gals,

Looking for solid info not educated guesses

I have BCAA travel insurance and I am covered for everything but my recent condition. It is now pre existing and won't be covered under the plan I have. I have talked to BCAA three times now and keep getting very conflicting info from their reps. " insert eye roll here" I am wanting to jump on a plane in January/February for 2 weeks.

Is there anyone here that has had "pre existing condition" medical insurance. I sure would like to chat with ya.

Thanks
    FUCK CANCER, FUCK CANCER, FUCK CANCER, FUCK CANCER !!!!!

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    I take a little white water pill for high blood. We also have BCAA travel insurance for the frequent times we travel to the States and I ride to the States. I never lied on the form. Google CBC's Market Place on travel insurance. It's a eye opener and many folks have been royaly screwed by ManuLife which is one of the big insurance comp that are the underwriters for ICBC.

Don't lie, read the small print, maybe take the forms to you family doctor, even your lawyer. We might be over insured but the thought of having a medical issue in the States without "adaquate" insurance, scares me. Especially on a m.c. Some rely on the Blue Cross, BC Med, Platinum Visa etc but I'm not sure that's enough. Good Luck.

The plan we have allows for unlimeted trips state side for 15 days at a time. Once we return home for a day, we can go back. We don't often go for more than two weeks. In '02 I rode to Toronto and back through the states and didn't buy additional insurance. Too dumb?

When my wife visits family in the Philippines I buy added insurance. It's cheaper b/c it's a direct flight with no stops in the US.
    Last edited by CanadianBird; 10-28-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    When dealing with CRA on tax matters you can submit a form and ask for a ruling on a specific matter. You then have something official in writing. I would speak to someone at BCAA head office to see if they have a similar mechanism and inform them that, if not, given all the conflicting answers, you can no longer be a customer when the company does not even know what the hell they are selling you.

Let the good times roll Array Good Karma's Avatar
    Bike
    GSXR 1000
    Call BCAA again and ask for a contact email so that you can send a coverage info request. Send them an email asking them what will be covered and what won't with your specific info. Once you have it in writing you should be good.

I did this last spring when I was trying to determine if I would be covered for US track days or US racing (although both are on the same track they are different). After talking to a few of the rep's and getting somewhat ambiguous info I decided to go the email route. Even that required several back and forth emails to get specific answers.

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Karma View Post
    Call BCAA again and ask for a contact email so that you can send a coverage info request. Send them an email asking them what will be covered and what won't with your specific info. Once you have it in writing you should be good.

I did this last spring when I was trying to determine if I would be covered for US track days or US racing (although both are on the same track they are different). After talking to a few of the rep's and getting somewhat ambiguous info I decided to go the email route. Even that required several back and forth emails to get specific answers.
    Yeah, get something in writing, or use a different insurance provider that can give you a straight answer.

I to have had difficulty getting info from them. I used to buy yearly coverage from BCAA. Had to actually use it last year. Was disappointed to find out that all their coverage wanted to do was co ordinate with my work coverage. So I looked further into it and submitted it all to my Sun Life work coverage (Dr. Visit and antibiotics for ear infection) and all was covered by Sun Life. I no longer purchase yearly coverage from BCAA.

I am going to Vegas next week and will talk to them about specific coverage for what my work coverage does not cover i.e. med. flights back home. One pre existing condition of hypertension doesn't seem to bother them at all.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Fuh-coffee we will go Array carbonfibrerocket's Avatar
    Bike
    08 GSX1300BK, 03 XR650R
    Blue Cross gave me the verbal go ahead that I'd be covered for my pre-existing condition.

ie how long ago did treatment end? are you still seeing your Oncologist for check ups? These are the two questions they asked me anyway.

This was only a verbal go ahead based on time after treatment has ended (2 years). But to be honest I don't trust their verbal green light.

I too, need to find someone who will look at the case in more detail, and give me written approval.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Big shitty balls of shit, that's a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling

Bike
    2007 Honda CBR600RR
    I had a vacation planned for march of this year and then after a physical was told needed surgery. After speaking to my GP and Cardiologist was told not to leave country. Both said regardless what anybody said the insurance companies would not pay saying it's pre-existing. It's not worth risking everything you have for a vacation they said. Insurance companies will look for anyway not to pay. I know it's not what you want to hear but better to play it safe. Hope all works out for you.
    Any shift workers out there wanna ride during the week PM me.

Bike
    2007 R-1
    Thanks for your responses, I appreciate them
    FUCK CANCER, FUCK CANCER, FUCK CANCER, FUCK CANCER !!!!!

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Your premiums are also age determined.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton
    BCAA Travel insurance is Travel Underwriters in Richmond, you can call them directly for policy clarification.

http://www.travelunderwriters.com/co...us/index.shtml

They underwrite many other travel insurance policies (coastcapital etc)
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

Bike
    in progress
    One of the Insurers we use Travel Insurance Coordinators (TIC) will have you complete a detailed medical questionnaire which we in turn submit to them and they send us back quotes that kind of go like this: 1. We will not cover any pre-existing conditions and your premium is $ 2. We will cover (insert condition here) and the premium will be $ or 3. We will cover (insert condition here) but not cover (insert other condition here) and your premium will be $ Then it is up to you as to what option you go with. Generally speaking, I would say that there would be no coverage for your condition or anything related to it. You would have coverage for something unrelated, like if you were to get into a car accident while you were there, or if you went surfing and broker your arm. Having said that, if there is ANY way that they can relate your injury or accident back to your pre-existing condition, they will probably not cover it. I'm not an adjuster, a Dr or a lawyer, but this is my experience as a Broker.
    When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade...and add lots of vodka!