BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Meeting with Minister Polak

5K views 50 replies 33 participants last post by  2cans 
#1 ·
Apparently the reports have hit the desk of Transportation Minister Polak! I will be meeting with the Minister and Blair Lekstrom on two of BCCOM’s proposals, Transferrable Plates and Lane Filtering at the end of February in Victoria.

#2 ·
Good luck.
re: lane filtering
Just have them ponder how much 'real crime' can be tackled without the need for all the summers-day hwy-shoulder steak-outs!

#6 ·
Wouldn't now be the time for people to start emailing, sending letters and calling the ministers office? Nothing rude or obnoxious, just simply adding your voice. I've seen the past thread about this subject, but I have no idea what information is still relevant.

I've lived in Van for ten years after high school, and could only take a year and a half of being away to want to go back (despite how fucked it can be... it's like a crazy ex). Even when I was In a cage, I always kept my eyes open and tried to be considerate to cyclists and bikers (LOTS of room, hand signals and such). I think any lane filtering option will have to come with massive public awareness (besides drivers, the pedestrians will have to know what's going on, so they don't shit a brick)

Most cynics (such as me) will say what's the point, we don't matter. That may be true, but why not put it too the test? If you've actually read up to this point, you've had enough time to send a quick email. Make a big enough stink (short of civil war, or toppling governments... maybe) and they should be listening very, very closely on this election year. A few, hell even a thousand votes, in the right places mean a lot to these guys and gals ;).

Votes to these "people" put food on their table (how big or how wide these tables are, is open to debate), and I'll gladly put my voice in with other peoples'.

#10 ·
Actually we asked motorcyclists to email when we submitted these proposal's. My preference would be to wait and see what the report says before we start the emails again one way or the other. Either thanking the Ministry for their forward thinking plan or protesting asking it be looked at once again.

#7 ·
Transferable Plates would be a god send, that's the only thing keeping me from buying a second bike. Hopefully they realize that transferable plates would give a little boost to the local economy with so many more people purchasing second or third bikes/recreational vehicles.

#9 ·
i'm with you there friend, without a plate transfer, one bike would sit for half a season at a time... not really the way I like to treat my bikes...

I would definitely consider it more carefully, as would dad i'm sure... at this point, there's just no way I can justify a 2nd mortgage, i mean... icbc insurance :laughing

#13 ·
would love transferable plates. I've been wanting a second bike but not wanting to insure another one. Have toyed with the idea of buying an older second bike for the collector's plates but it's not ultimately what I'd like. Despite the grief that I sometimes give you the efforts are appreciated

#16 ·
Good on you for getting the meeting!

Personally - I think both ideas - lane splitting and transferable plates are good ideas. I honestly don't think lane splitting stands a chance - but, you never know unless you try! Just remember to bring up what she said in a letter to you about the HOV lane on the Port Mann...

"Motorcycles, regardless of the number of persons on the vehicle, are allowed to use provincially operated HOV lanes, the rationale being that it is safer to keep motorcycles moving than travelling in start and stop traffic conditions in general purpose lanes, where they are exposed to potential rear-end collisions."
I think the idea of transferable plates has merit for non-motorcycles too. How many single drivers do you know who drive a big SUV to the office every day just because they need it on the weekend to haul the kids around? Give them a transferable plate and a smart car. Take the car into the office on weekdays, and slap the plate on the beast for the weekends.

#20 ·
Why not try to exploit the situation? The cards are stacked as much as they will ever be. Plenty of motorcycle votes + 1 or 2 agreed on ideas + election year = progress. I checked the earlier thread and found Blair Lejstrom's email. He will be there during the meeting,so I am still sure any kind of email may not help, but it defiantly won't hurt the process.

Remember be nice !! Explain how the province has a chance to exploit the benefits of motorcycling. Both for environmental reasons, but please underline the safety factor. Less rear enders, no more feeling "surrounded" and less deaths.

blair.lekstrom.mla@leg.bc.ca

#21 ·
Excellent Adele! Very, very good news. Though I hope both proposals pass I'm more in favour of transferable plates. Bike sales, accessories, and bike shops would all see increased business with the amount of things being bought for second and third bikes. I really hope the 'loss' of revenue to icbc doesn't kill this.

#22 ·
I like the two initiatives, both are good for the economy.
Transferable plates will make it more appealing for people to own multiple motorcycles and,
Lane filtering will promote quicker commuting and less congestion, I can see an influx of motorcycles on the road.

Thank you Adele for your hard work.

#26 ·
Oh man, transferable plates would be nice, no doubt... but lane filtering?! That would be amazing. It reduces airborne pollutants, increases motorcycle sales, decreases aggressive driving habits, and promotes the better flow of traffic!

I'm crossing every extremity I've got to contribute to that one. Yes. Every extremity.

#27 ·
^^^
the email address is on the first page man... you don't even have to get your ass outta the chair to send one. text and email this address around to your friends. They they spread the word, so on and so on :)

I put a link to this thread up in kawiforms as well. I asked the cali riders to weigh in on the benefits of lane filtering. Spread the word

#29 ·
Fingers crossed that the contents of the report are favourable to us.
Transferrable plates seems a no-brainer... so many social and economic benefits, and minor complications (mainly the need to keep computer systems up to date so that the vehicle and plate correspond).
I'd love to see lane splitting legal too. I noticed that the CHP has actually started to advise on how to lane split safely. And there is the argument out of what I recall as a Belgian study, which implied that if 10% of commuters got onto two-wheelers, traffic congestion would decrease by 40%. That's a lot fewer expensive bridges and freeway lanes to build in the next 20 years! Plus, that's just 'how it's done' in most of the world!
Good luck at the meeting!

#30 ·
Well transferring plates is only a good thing if the second bike insurance is greatly reduced,otherwise you mise well get a second plate.I think we all assume that will be the case,the second bike insurance will be only like a $100 charge on top of the fully insured first bike.Goverment been using ICBC like a cash cow.Not too sure they want to lose much revenue right now.

#31 ·
Well transferring plates is only a good thing if the second bike insurance is greatly reduced,otherwise you mise well get a second plate
That's the whole point of wanting transferrable plates, cap'n obvious.

Also, "mise" is not a word. Not how you used it anyway. "Might as", is what you were going for.

#34 ·
Yea I am Just ta kid.Take it easy on my 6 foot 3 260 lb body.I am Just not as optimistic as you all are on this single plate for bikes was my point ,if you missed it.And yes you are right on my use of "mise",but I guess my convsersational slang got into my keyboard.

#35 ·
Perfect! Now do some horse trading

1. Trade lane filtering for BCCOM's agreement and written support to of SAE document J2825, “Measurement of Exhaust Sound Pressure Levels of Stationary On-Highway Motorcycles and ask it it be made into law the same time as filtering

2. Trade multiple bike licensing and 6 bike per ferry assured loading on interior ferries for lack of protective gear reductions for crash victims just like seat belts in cars . This will save ICBC a ton in claims payouts and please almost everyone on BCSB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.