BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Election time in BC

4K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  BCCOM 
#1 ·
With the election coming up BCCOM needs your input. We will put together a maximum of 8 questions that will go to every candidate in BC then their answers will be posted on the website. Please keep the questions short and focused.

#13 ·
1) 'They' just put them in.

2) Apparently, as long as the aggregate utilitarian benefits to the public at large outweight the loss of a few biker's lives and limbs (ie: if a bunch of probable head-on vehicular incidents are avoided, then a couple lost bikers are deemed an 'acceptable cost') ... or 'they' wouldn't have installed them in the frst place.

#12 ·
1: Automated vehicles. Have you begun thinking about what this entails for society?
2: What, if any, corporate interests are funding your campaign ?
3: WHEN the next kid gets busted for doing 200kph on the hwy, how will you react? By dreaming up further restrictive legislation? Or do you believe the current system of punishments (impound, forfeiture, etc) is sufficient?
3b: Do you support such an incident being fed to the sensationalizing media hype machine, or should such an individual simply be punished privately according to the laws in place for such a thing?
4: Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses, or just 1 horse-sized duck?

#14 ·
-will you revamp the licensing tests to be tougher(because currently its a joke)
-will you look into changing motorcycle insurance rate based on power output, over displacement?
-will you easier for investors to create racetracks in bc(than just mission) to allow law biding citizens to drive fast legally and safely.

#16 · (Edited)
Here you go, eight questions for the BS pile.

I expect my questions are even less likely to make it into your questionnaire than DNA Sparks.

1. Do you ride a motorcycle ? Are you of the AGATT ilk ?

If yes do you believe that Loud Pipes save lives ?

If no what is your view regarding motorcycles and motorcyclists?

2. Are you in favour of mandatory noise limits on motorcycles as outlined in SAE J2825 (Measurement of Exhaust Sound Pressure Levels of Stationary On-Highway Motorcycles),and endorsed by many motorcycle organizations and groups.

3. Since there is no statistical proof that in fact loud pipes save lives, will your Government consider the mandatory upgraded of the helmet laws in BC based on the National Institute of Health Report, "Economic Impact of Motorcycle Helmets: From Impact to Discharge." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16688058

4. Which do you prefer as a method of reducing motorcycel head trauma;

A. Full Face DOT Snell or ANSI approved helmet

B. A salad bowl from the dollar store

C . WWII replica Helmet with protective stickers

D. Improved Rider education becasue a smart head is not a dead head

4. The recently published study Full-face motorcycle helmets blunt head trauma where it has been proven that motorcyclists wearing full face helmets are least likely to be injured and less likely than other helmet wearers to suffer from cervical spine fractures 8.5% of patients wearing full-face helmets suffered cervical spine fractures, compared with 11.9% of those wearing other helmet types.

http://www.acep.org/Content.aspx?id=89935

Concerned motorcyclists would like to see a significant drop in motorcycle fatalities, the injury level rate, and a subsequent reduction to the cost of medical care to the province. We liken this to the mandatory seat belt laws for car occupants.

5. Steve G's question modified " Will you pass legislation to reduce insurance rates if full safety attire were worn by the motorcycle operator, and reduce proportionality the accident benefits paid to those who wear less than full safety attire?

6. Will the government remove the PST on all approved motorcycle safety gear carrying the CE certificate as defined by the European CE Personal Protective Equipment Directive and Standards for Motorcycle Clothing

7. Will the government reduce the cost of insurance for all motorcycles equipped with anti lock brakes

8. Will the basic automobile driver education include information on motorcycles, their visibility and where vehicle motorcycle collisions occur?

#32 ·
Following on this point set up the conversation with something along the lines of......instead of just focusing on punishment for people that are speeding (or doing stunts) should the government instead provide a quality facility for people to go and exercise their desire for speed (or stunts) in a closed circuit environment.

#24 ·
will your government bring back Photo Radar?

Will your government increase the number of traffic light cameras?

Will your government increase the advertising dollars spent on rider safety?

#26 ·
bill... go get coffee. k

qs:
will there be power/engine size restrictions for new drivers along the lines of proposed restrictions for riders?

will inattentive drivers who commit a murder be treated with adult gloves of fuzzy gloves?

#27 ·
Perhaps a question of whether or not they support cops being roadside judge, jury, and executioner ... as with these new impound regulations they happen to be (some backlash soon to be hitting the proverbial fan about that, if what they recently wrote up in the papers about it is accurate) ...

#42 · (Edited)
I'm with Greentreena on this one. If you're willing to spend the money on safety gear then I think there should be a tax or insurance break. Should you be in an accident, wearing ATGATT vs wearing the bare minumum (I've seen hundreds of people in sleevless T's, shorts, and flip flops with an open face) will save the province thousands in medical and emergency services costs.

3) Do you feel that lane filtering, tax breaks, revised insurance programs and increased motorcycle parking in urban areas is an effective method to decreasing fuel consumption, congestion, and emissions?

5) Do you think Translink should continue to act in the stead of the DOT in the lower mainland when they've little beyond a proven track record of dismal and abject failure?

And I don't really think the Translink one needs explanation. They've screwed up our public transit system, they've screwed up our road infrastructure, and they've been hemorrhaging cash the entire time. We have an integrated branch of the Gov't that should be capable of handling both those subjects, so why the hell are we still paying Translink to create bureaucratic delays and make piss-poor decisions.
I agree with most of Land Roving's points but these 2 points specifically. Translink has been abismal in so many ways. They continuously tax motorists who don't even use their services to make up for poor planning and their own huge salaries. They're inefficient and an absolute waste. Get rid of translink completely.

#33 ·
two different questions I'd like:

1. do you support mandatory training for new riders and would you support lower insurance rates for riders who have taken training courses?

2. do you support awareness campaigns to make auto drivers more aware of motorcyclists?

#36 · (Edited)
1) Do you believe the provincial government should be capable of appropriating ICBC funds?

2) Do you support police powers that allow for the levy of fines and the seizure of property without judicial process?

3) Do you feel that lane filtering, tax breaks, revised insurance programs and increased motorcycle parking in urban areas is an effective method to decreasing fuel consumption, congestion, and emissions?

4) Do you feel students of the Graduated Licensing Program would gain more respect for our roads, laws, and other drivers if the program was either heavily revised/toughened, or simply extended?

5) Do you think Translink should continue to act in the stead of the DOT in the lower mainland when they've little beyond a proven track record of dismal and abject failure?

There's my contribution.

I'm tired of the gov't using ICBC coffers as a secondary revenue centre, since all it does is drive up our premiums. It's bullshit.

I'm tired of police handing out wanton and ridiculously useless tickets, and would love to see us adopt a system similar to many of the states that require ALL traffic violations traverse a courtroom. I think forcing them to step in front of a judge every time they write a ticket might be the only way to make some of them understand that not every violation requires a fine, and that a verbal warning in many "no harm, no foul" situations can be more effective than a ticket... to say nothing of my opinion of their ability to seize your junk indiscriminately.

I think politicians needs to start considering other solutions to the commuter problem in Vancouver. Borrowing the European model of putting bike lanes everywhere is already a proven failure by virtue of the fact that most commuters are forced to live too far from their workplaces due to real estate prices, so allowing them to take to motorcycles, filter through the bridge and tunnel traffic choke points, and give them more parking downtown would, I'm sure, convince many to use a motorcycle as year-round transport. And during the summer? Watch congestion just disappear.

They keep treating young drivers like kids by forcing them under the thumb of the GLP for ever-longer periods with ever-more arcane restrictions, and it doesn't seem to be doing shit. Start treating new drivers like adults, allow them the responsibility of driving at any time of day or night with any amount of people in the car... but only after they've been forged in a crucible of thorough and comprehensive driver training. Goodbye Wing Chung "You pay me you get your license ricky tick" Driver Edumacation, hello Driving and Drill Instructor "Riding a bus will look appealing before I'm done with you" Driver Indoctrination.

And I don't really think the Translink one needs explanation. They've screwed up our public transit system, they've screwed up our road infrastructure, and they've been hemorrhaging cash the entire time. We have an integrated branch of the Gov't that should be capable of handling both those subjects, so why the hell are we still paying Translink to create bureaucratic delays and make piss-poor decisions.

You'll notice a trend in my suggestions: they're all about responsibility. Let us, the people of BC, earn our pay, and our rights, and leave us the hell alone.

Reactions: gwilo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.