BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Edmonton group's take on the J2825 Sound Test.

7K views 105 replies 25 participants last post by  Squint 
#1 · (Edited)
#87 ·
IMHO there must be a scientific test performed to obtain a relative noise level. As noise pressure decreases (increases) by the square of the distance from the source, a very small change in distance can effect the reading as can reflected noise as has been pointed out. So here is my take on it. Use the very well researched SAE test as noted above BUT, relate it to all vehicles. It annoys the *&^& out of me that we continue to be targeted for noise/stunting/speeding/whetever when I see far more dangerous acts being commited every day by the other 98% of the vehicles on our rooads.

As for noise tests set up to monitor traffic as it passes by, I don't think they could ever enforce that. Way too much random going on.

I was cautioned at PIR once for my BSA triple (11:1 pistons, lumpy cams and 3 into one open megephone) as I was within about .5db of breaking the limit. The limit was set by the city of Portland who owned the track, and the group organising the event paid a fine every time the limit was broken. The meter was set at the end of the left hand concrete wall at the end of the dragstip part of the track. Solution was to go past there another 10 feet to the right, never came close after that!

#88 ·
Great post, but especially:
It annoys the *&^& out of me that we continue to be targeted for noise/stunting/speeding/whatever when I see far more dangerous acts being committed every day by the other 98% of the vehicles on our roads.
Amen!

#89 ·
Originally Posted by AVINTWIN
It annoys the *&^& out of me that we continue to be targeted for noise/stunting/speeding/whatever when I see far more dangerous acts being committed every day by the other 98% of the vehicles on our roads.

So true!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.