BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Edmonton group's take on the J2825 Sound Test.

7K views 105 replies 25 participants last post by  Squint 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
" It is clear that the EPS must calibrate the apparatus before any test can be administered. "

That's awesome. I had a quick google around but couldn't find the relevant requirements for Vancouver and BC, can you point us in the right direction?

#3 ·
There aren't any at this time. It is BCCOM's belief that this might be something the governemnt/certain municipalities may try to bring in sooner than later and wondered what people's thought are? Lots of riders opting for the "Noise Snare" method as it does not target motorcycles but all loud vehicles and noise in general.

#4 ·
Good lord. More BS from this organization in order to allow their meatstick members continue to blatt
from stoplight to stoplight.

If you think they are out there representing anything, you are sadly mistaken.

#6 ·
I read the info on M.O.D.E.L. 's website.

I have to say, I'm 100% behind the Bylaw, I'm 100% behind the Noise Snare, and I cannot hope enough that it happens here. I'm sick and friggin' tired of attention whores on bikes thinking it's their "right" to blat around town disturbing people with their attention whore machines.

I would feel very disappointed if BCCOM were to actually NOT be in favour of the same bylaw being enacted here in BC. Clearly, the continuation of these dudes on their uncorked bikes pissing everyone off will lead to legislation which will make ALL motorcyclists suffer, not just the idiots who need people looking at them.
Seriously, if BCCOM is in support of M.O.D.E.L., we need to have a serious re-think about our only motorcycle lobby group in BC.

#8 ·
Something is coming, it is a matter of what riders will support and what is fair. BCCOM will as always put information out and see what riders/ membership feelings are. I am curious though, M.O.D.E.L. is for the Noise Snare so why the comment regarding BCCOM and support for it?

#10 ·
Um what was the question?.......I suspect anything they tell me is for the greater good has an underlying agenda.
The more you let them rule you the more they will attempt to rule you to an even greater level.
What may seem like a reasonable concession or compromise may only be the precursor of the onslaught of rules that are soon to follow,all for the greater good of course.
Unless the same rules are followed for all combustion engine vehicles across the country it would seem to be a case of discrimination against motorcyclists.
Currently I run several machines at work that are much louder than any motorcycle.

#11 ·
BCCOM is a reflection of its members. For better or worse way more people ride cruisers than sport bikes. Hence BCCOM tends to manifest attitudes more in line with those who pursue the cruiser lifestyle.

I think BCCOM is great, but they don't always represent my interest.

#12 ·
I lived on Whyte ave many years ago. Those loud pipes could shake things off my shelves in my apartment! I didn't care, I was young, I though it is cool, and I got my class 6 there! :laughing

Back then, the cops used the loud pipe excuse to chase away HA or wannabe, make Whyte safer after dark. The cops were very friendly to other motorcyclists, and they even had a KLR ghost bike!

#14 ·
as long as the test does not force a higher standard then current CMVSS standards I would be all for this ......
my ZX12 is pretty dam loud but useing the concept of respect it rarely get noticed. Full throttle between lights is not required for my riding enjoyment :laughing

#20 ·
I do belong to one unnamed riding group (school) that is mostly HD riders.

At one event one straight pipe HD took of at full volume every other HD owner there just shock their heads in announce. Not one person thought it was 'cool'. The problem is "Load Pipes = Load Mouths"

#22 ·
Everyone knows that something will be brought in regarding noise, it would be nice if people had some of the facts before doing a knee jerk. It is a saying here at BCCOM (in the office) that "Loud Pipes Risk Rights" which does not make all our members happy. Not unlike the amount on here that are against "Lane Filtering" can't please all the people all the time.

#25 ·
I think you mistyped the last words here Blue Black Text Font Purple

BCCOM represents its membership and works towards what its membership wants ..... yes sometimes these goals line up with all riders BUT it must never be assumed unless BCCOM membership truely represents the majority of all class 6 people in B.C.

#32 ·
... so you all fools think this is not going to get set up on some mountain road that you idiots think "is the time and place" to let it rip?

how's that civil forfeiture working out?

hope ya all who wish for this here end up getting a ticket somewhere in the canyons.

#47 ·
Ya I was delusional alright,when I thought BCCOM would fight against an unjust law.
What I got instead was excuses and poor ones at that,so I made up some of my own that seemed more plausible because I could not believe the lame excuses I was being fed.:(
Anyway I don't want to get into a pissing match I think some of the work BCCOM is doing is good but I think you should focus on the things you have committed to before pushing them to the back burner and moving on to something much less important like noise bylaws.

#52 · (Edited)
Just my 2 cents,

let the bikes be loud, its the sound of freedom, something most of you young people have never had.

Loud bikes saves lives?
Maybe not in the city, but it does out in the country. Argue all you want about that, I could care less what any of you think.
As you guessed it, I hate noise bylaws, I seen that crap first hand in Edmonton.

How would you like to be having a nice sunday ride, maybe alone, maybe with friends, when you turn a corner and a cop jumps out for you to stop and direct you to a special team, this team will go through your bike with no respect to your piece and private life, your bike will be checked for noise, okay so that is a pass, but hold on there rider, how come you don't have any side reflectors? That alone is good for a 150 dollar ticket! Do I really need to go further?

How about being pulled over, given a ticket for doing apparently 60 in a 50 zone? How about the fact that you were beside a van doing the same speed when clocked, the van continues and your hit with another 150 bucks!

For those of you that have never lived in That nice place next door to B.C., yes the same one controlled by Nazi police, the private police force of Edmonton, that has a budget of 280 million dollars a year which is somewhere around 80% of your land taxes, you have absolutely no clue. A city that has two police helicopters, not for fighting crime, but to nab motorcycle riders for speeding to stunting! Photo radar at just about every turn, red light camera's? How about speed on green camera's?
So what about rides in the country, well the RCMP know of all the good roads, and they usually sit in the bush with a radar gun with you guessed it, a road block up ahead! And there is no mercy, now 51 over is pretty fast, and a 12 grand ticket will cure that issue! You only have live in that country for a little bit to see that what wasn't a huge deal on one side of a line is a huge issue on the other.

But then again, you would be nuts to even try riding on roads so rough. That Sunday ride makes you feel two inches shorter after a 100 kilometers!
I lived in Edmonton for a little over 20 years, I wasn't from there, I grew up in the Okanogan.
The only difference between a jail and Edmonton?
A jail has a fence around it!
So yes, some guys are retards and have to have the loudest bike on the block, so what, at least we know when the retard is coming..lol
Don't make up any more rules, when you do, you lose freedom, something we all have very little of because of people complaining about retards.

#64 · (Edited)
Nice.

A private company that has appointed itself as the voice of BC's motorcyclists.

A private company that doesn't need to list the people, advisors or contributors behind it.

A private company that says you have a voice, but doesn't allow you to vote for directors or on issues.

A private company that doesn't tell you how to bring an issue forward.

A private company that tells it's members that it's a lobbyist but isn't listed as one.

A private company that accepts public and corporate money but won't say from who.

A private company that has an unnamed executive board.

So where do I sign up for this? It sounds like such a great idea.

Wait ....... I think I'll just keep donating my money to Tim Hortons
and Starbucks to have them as my motorcyling voice. At least I get to
talk to other motorcyclists and get a cup of coffee for my money.

Thanks for the info Bill.

#66 ·
Nice.

A private company that has appointed itself as the voice of BC's motorcyclists.

A private company that doesn't need to list the people, advisors or contributors behind it.

A private company that says you have a voice, but doesn't allow you to vote for directors or on issues.

A private company that doesn't tell you how to bring an issue forward.

A private company that tells it's members that it's a lobbyist but isn't listed as one.

A private company that accepts public and corporate money but won't say from who.

A private company that has an unnamed executive board.
With the exception of not being a registered lobbyist, BCCOM's structure looks pretty much identical to all the other lobby groups out there. However, I'd hope BCCOM spends at least 100 hours a year lobbying for us, so I'd like to see them registered as an in-house lobbyist.

As for the various "doesn't tell you who's on the executive/how to bring an issue forward" stuff, has anyone ever thought of simply going to one of their meetings and asking those questions? I may be newb in the ways of BCCOM, but I seriously doubt they're some sinister Illuminati-on-motorbikes sort of organization... why not just go to them and ask what you want to know?

#78 ·
Ok back on track..so why does a city bylaw in Alberta concern us?
Currently we have the lowest noise standards in North America at 91db for all motorcycles.
There is however no standard for testing and the police abuse the law by using the loophole that allows them to send you for a vehicle inspection ,so what is the connection?
Their issue is not the same as ours.

#76 ·
Adele - as others have stated, thanks for coming to these forums and keeping us advised.

Just wondering if you have any web designers / programmers as members who would like to volunteer a little time to the cause.

I hate to say it, but your website is horrible. I mean really, really bad. On just about every level.

Actually I lied - I didn't hate to say it - that felt fantastic to finally get that off my chest. :devillook

#86 · (Edited)
Late summer in Richmond (HWY 99S to 91E exit) there was an odd looking 5 ton truck with mic and other objects (acoustical looking equipment) on the outside parked on the side of the road. It was there for about 5 to 6 hours.

Mt they are testing the Noise Snare ??

It was set up in a perfect 'Speed Trap' or 'Sound Trap' area where you would be downshifting going into a corner and accelerating out to merge onto HWY 91E.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.