And so it starts. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it starts.

Registered User Array KickMeInTheJunk's Avatar
    Bike
    Streetfighter
    I'm with Danke, it'd be more effective to address the 'Jersey Shore of Canada' problem.

96db sounds pretty reasonable actually, should get the worst offenders.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisco View Post
    yea honestly, some of the bikes on the road are ridiculous. I could hear a sport bike a block behind me while on my own bike. Too much? I think so. Last time I was in Kelowna there was a cigarette boat that turned on at 9am outfront the hotel and as it idlied off the warf an out to the lake the windows were vibrating. Also too much? absolutely.
    I think everyone other than the problem child agrees. So please enforce the rules already there until there can be rules that do not discriminate about motorcycles. There are much louder sounds in this society than bikes. Do not discriminate, it is wrong.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisco View Post
    yea honestly, some of the bikes on the road are ridiculous. I could hear a sport bike a block behind me while on my own bike. Too much? I think so.

couldnt have been a block behind you ... maybe a block ahead of you... that i believe
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

corner worker Array solo soldier's Avatar
    Bike
    I need more room in the shop!
    The world is changing, for some reason, there has to be a reason.
    As Einstein stated: "All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization -- is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal."

Bike
    Motorcycle
    This is not a problem if responsible riders act collectively as individuals before we all get affected because of the asshattery of a few

All concerned motorcyclists have to do is write the Kelowna council and suggest that they follow the J2825 decibel test developed by the Society for Automotive Engineers (SAE) with funding from the motorcycle industry.

A cc to all of the other BC Mayors and Minister Polak should set the wheels in motion.

If this noise crap doesn't stop soon the choices given to Motorcyclists will be limited.

Harley sent open letter to Dealers/Owners in the US on loud pipes

Here is the owners letter

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

And this article is also worth reading.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/new...noise_problem/

The industry funded a study that resulted in J2825.

Yet somehow BCCOM seems to think that they can rally the troops to protect the asshattery who piss off everyone with their loud pipes.

Asshat pirates and their loud pipes are threatening my freedom to ride my motorcycle

Perhaps BCCOM does not represent BC motorcyclists as they just claim? It appears that they represent the desires of their membership as decided by BCCOM.

How big and who are BCCOM's membership base ?

This is unknown because BCCOM does not release audited membership numbers. One has to question whether BCCOM actually represents the position of the majority of motorcyclists.
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

Bike
    Motorcycle
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCOM View Post
    I think everyone other than the problem child agrees. So please enforce the rules already there until there can be rules that do not discriminate about motorcycles. There are much louder sounds in this society than bikes. Do not discriminate, it is wrong.
    Dear BCCOM,

Let me remind you that you do not speak for many of us and some individuals see BCCOM as the "problem child" who's actions appear to be supporting the very issues that a lay person (i.e. the majority of the population, who by the way don't ride) would think are contrary to common sense.

BCCOM states "do not discriminate". This is not discrimination. To help you out here are a few definitions of Descrimination

Wiki

Discrimination is the prejudicial or distinguishing treatment of an individual based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or category, such as their age, ethnicity, gender/sex, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, skin color, or other characteristics

Riding like and asshat with open pipes would not be described as having " other characteristics" any more than being a hooligan.

Concise Oxford

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex:

Let me help you define loud pipes

pub·lic nui·sance

An act, condition, or thing that is illegal because it interferes with the rights of the public generally.
    An obnoxious or dangerous person or group of people.

Offensive

Causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry: "offensive language"

Loud pipes are offensive, and the riders are in the view of most of the population creating a public nuisance.

Please stop claiming to represent me, you don't and I am not alone.
    BCSB had mountains of experience with a lot of things. #1 on that list is pouring out bullshit to dumb questions by the Gigabyte. (TripleTime, 12-10-2014 03:19 PM)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Dear BCCOM,

Let me remind you that you do not speak for many of us and some individuals see BCCOM as the "problem child" who's actions appear to be supporting the very issues that a lay person (i.e. the majority of the population, who by the way don't ride) would think are contrary to common sense.

BCCOM states "do not discriminate". This is not discrimination. To help you out here are a few definitions of Descrimination

Wiki

Discrimination is the prejudicial or distinguishing treatment of an individual based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or category, such as their age, ethnicity, gender/sex, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, skin color, or other characteristics

Riding like and asshat with open pipes would not be described as having " other characteristics" any more than being a hooligan.

Concise Oxford

the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex:

Let me help you define loud pipes

pub·lic nui·sance

An act, condition, or thing that is illegal because it interferes with the rights of the public generally.
    An obnoxious or dangerous person or group of people.

Offensive

Causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry: "offensive language"

Loud pipes are offensive, and the riders are in the view of most of the population creating a public nuisance.

Please stop claiming to represent me, you don't and I am not alone.
    The Coalition is asking motorcyclists thoughts and opinions on the J2825 as well as noise. We, unlike you, think people have that right when it comes to issues involving motorcyclists. Seriously Bill do you ever get tired of being so right in your own opinion?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2010 Aprilia Sport City 300(Scooter)
    Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    The problem and advantage of it being a bylaw is that it is just a bylaw and not really much of a threat.
    For that reason I like the idea of it being a bylaw and not a Provincial issue.
    Also 92-96db is much better than our current 91db across the board.
    It should be a provincial issue, standardized, measurable (WITH SPECIFIED, DEPARTMENT ISSUE EQUIPMENT FOR MEASURING) and 96 db is reasonable. The law should be applied to other vehicles that abuse our ears also. There's no reason btw to have emergency response sirens blaring at 3 am when there is virtually nobody awake.

And for people who say that the sirens are there for our "safety", touche ... that's what the "loud pipes save lives" crowd has been saying. I don't agree with that btw ... and that's the reason I say sirens have no place (with exceptions) being used at 3 am.

countdown to next crash.. Array Islesfan91's Avatar
    Bike
    2012 ninja 650
    Quote Originally Posted by itootill View Post
    It should be a provincial issue, standardized, measurable (WITH SPECIFIED, DEPARTMENT ISSUE EQUIPMENT FOR MEASURING) and 96 db is reasonable. The law should be applied to other vehicles that abuse our ears also. There's no reason btw to have emergency response sirens blaring at 3 am when there is virtually nobody awake.

And for people who say that the sirens are there for our "safety", touche ... that's what the "loud pipes save lives" crowd has been saying. I don't agree with that btw ... and that's the reason I say sirens have no place (with exceptions) being used at 3 am.
    I agree with you on standardized equipment, that makes sense and would be easier to expect that results wouldn't vary from officer to officer.

I still very much disagree with you on emergency vehicles. I'll gladly suffer the sound of a siren at 3am on the chance that if it's responding to someone in my family or myself that they don't get slowed down or into an accident on the way to the scene.
    First bike:2011 Ninja 650r orange/black - crashed June 19/2012
    Second bike: 2012 Ninja 650 black - not yet crashed

Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    For once I agree with itootill,

Emergency vehicles do not need full sirens in residential areas at 3:00 AM, loud yes, but not full volume.

And all vehicles should fall under noise regulations issued by the province with set rules on testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post

I was going to write something but I couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post

what was the topic again?

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gwilo View Post
    And all vehicles should fall under noise regulations issued by the province with set rules on testing.
    How much do you want to bet that buses and trucks will fail under those regs?

As for the discussion about sirens; West Van has banned them at night ... good on them. Other munis should do likewise. 3am serves no purpose other than for emergency crews reminding everyone they are hard at work.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by BCCOM View Post

I don't think motorcycles are being discriminated. Clearly, if standard exhaust systems are kept on the bikes, they would not be fined for excess noise. And even if some power trip self imposed super-cop decided to get his Radio Shack sound meter out, you will argue/win in court with photographic evidence of the standard exhaust.

While I have not been able to find any science evidence that different engine designs cause more or less noise during operation. I can tell you that a performance exhaust fitted sportbike at 13,000rpm is just as obnoxious as a performance exhaust fitted v-twin at 5,000rpm. The thing is, it's not too often a sportbike can be operated around town at 13,000rpm,,,there's just not enough room anywhere to gain the kind of speeds 13,000rpm would garner. However, 5,000rpm out of a v-twin cruiser happens at every friggin' stop sign and stoplight in town.......I would also argue that an unmuffled v-twin at idle is WAY more obnoxious than an unmuffled sportbike at idle.

Thinking about other vehicles out there that cause enough engine noise to prevent people from talking to each other at an outside cafe [clearly unmuffled v-twins are in that catagory], there are not that many. Perhaps highly modified deisel pickup exhaust, maybe the odd civic or some such econobox with a fart can hanging off of it. But again, the multiple small high hertz directional exhaust pulse sounds of a multi cylinder engine simply do not give off the low hertz unidirectional pulses that force people to stop their conversations while the machine goes by.

I'm all for any stoplight heros getting nailed by a noise meter. I think there should be sound meters at every intersection as well as red light cameras. But I think it would be impossible for noise meter camera operators to figure out which vehicle is making the noise in a picture with many vehicles.

I want to point out that if there was no problems with loud exhaust, then nobody would complain. Pretty easy statement, but there it is, it's a problem. Interested parties who feel this loud exhaust issue is more about personal freedom of choice or some such bull shit, or are trying to link it to some kind of safety enhancement bull shit, in a feeble attempt to continue using machines which help garner attention, and testosterone enhancement, clearly are contributing to the inevitable loss of decision making involvement as the greater majority of the population, who are avid non motorcyclists, decide for us.

With regard to the greater membership of our main motorcycle advocate, BCCOM, "perhaps" deciding that freedom of choice of vehicle modification should take precendence as a part of the biker lifestyle , I can only guess the micro demographic the membership majority would be. I understand that the organization's demographic makes the decisions, so I garner no resonsibility to their representatives the direction this is going. I'm of the opinion that this 'micro demographic' may be holding onto a type of motorcycling which in itself has a minor or major objective of public exhibition and 'show' which includes "look at me" loud exhaust[ EVERYONE knows this is factual] . This direction, if it does happen, will be a negative for motorcycle use in this province.

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by itootill View Post
    How much do you want to bet that buses and trucks will fail under those regs?

As for the discussion about sirens; West Van has banned them at night ... good on them. Other munis should do likewise. 3am serves no purpose other than for emergency crews reminding everyone they are hard at work.
    I'm willing to cut emergency vehicles some slack. Intersections at 3am in this town, turn the sirens on. I did overnight emergency calls to property breakins for 26 yrs in Vancouver. Intersections at 3am are a crap shoot as the drunks try to get home.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    I'm willing to cut emergency vehicles some slack. Intersections at 3am in this town, turn the sirens on. I did overnight emergency calls to property breakins for 26 yrs in Vancouver. Intersections at 3am are a crap shoot as the drunks try to get home.
    Noise is noise. I can understand cars come out of nowhere sometimes, and there is probably the odd blind person walking into an intersection without a seeing eye dog, but there is no excuse for running a 120 db siren right out of the gate and ALL the way to the call when 90% of the population is attempting to sleep and work the next day. Why do they do it? Because they've always done it. Nobody questions it because it's not in our culture to question emergency response.... it's another reason why nobody asks why fender benders on LG Bridge have been known to attract multiple firetrucks which result in lanes being shut down for longer than they should.... but I digress.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    problem is the boomers are getting old and are forgetting that they are bitching about the shit they used to do themselves back in the day.

to some people a red lining inline 4 engine sounds like a sewing machine and is annoying. to some harley sounds like a vibrating dildo. to each his own. but those harley guys sure as hell aint bitching about crotch rockets going fast and stuff.

how you cannot see they are using the oldest trick in the book, divide and conquer? first the loud bikes. then the fast bikes. then the bikes.

Last edited by made Man; 02-20-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    "Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL