BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

And so it starts.

8K views 74 replies 30 participants last post by  K-rod 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Well, I personally dislike the seriously loud straight pipe Harleys. That MUST be the source of the complaints. A HD or sport bike with a decently audible pipe on it, sure it may be slightly loud, but I'll bet it usually isn't enough to get someone to dail in a complaint.

But god fucking damn those fucking straight piped Harleys. I'm fucking sitting In my car and my ears feel like they're bleeding.

Go for it.

#11 ·
BCCOM stands behind "loud pipes risk rights". But please get over yourself to understand the implications of what they are saying. If you don't you really are missing the point of the whole thing. Try to restrain yourself from making BCCOM Adele, it is a membership I represent not myself.

#23 ·
It should be a provincial issue, standardized, measurable (WITH SPECIFIED, DEPARTMENT ISSUE EQUIPMENT FOR MEASURING) and 96 db is reasonable. The law should be applied to other vehicles that abuse our ears also. There's no reason btw to have emergency response sirens blaring at 3 am when there is virtually nobody awake.

And for people who say that the sirens are there for our "safety", touche ... that's what the "loud pipes save lives" crowd has been saying. I don't agree with that btw ... and that's the reason I say sirens have no place (with exceptions) being used at 3 am.

#15 ·
yea honestly, some of the bikes on the road are ridiculous. I could hear a sport bike a block behind me while on my own bike. Too much? I think so. Last time I was in Kelowna there was a cigarette boat that turned on at 9am outfront the hotel and as it idlied off the warf an out to the lake the windows were vibrating. Also too much? absolutely.

#17 ·
I think everyone other than the problem child agrees. So please enforce the rules already there until there can be rules that do not discriminate about motorcycles. There are much louder sounds in this society than bikes. Do not discriminate, it is wrong.

#20 ·
This is not a problem if responsible riders act collectively as individuals before we all get affected because of the asshattery of a few

All concerned motorcyclists have to do is write the Kelowna council and suggest that they follow the J2825 decibel test developed by the Society for Automotive Engineers (SAE) with funding from the motorcycle industry.

A cc to all of the other BC Mayors and Minister Polak should set the wheels in motion.

If this noise crap doesn't stop soon the choices given to Motorcyclists will be limited.

Harley sent open letter to Dealers/Owners in the US on loud pipes

Here is the owners letter

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/2006_Campaigns/noise_popup.jsp?locale=en_US

And this article is also worth reading.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_noise_problem/

The industry funded a study that resulted in J2825.

Yet somehow BCCOM seems to think that they can rally the troops to protect the asshattery who piss off everyone with their loud pipes.

Asshat pirates and their loud pipes are threatening my freedom to ride my motorcycle

Perhaps BCCOM does not represent BC motorcyclists as they just claim? It appears that they represent the desires of their membership as decided by BCCOM.

How big and who are BCCOM's membership base ?

This is unknown because BCCOM does not release audited membership numbers. One has to question whether BCCOM actually represents the position of the majority of motorcyclists.

#25 ·
For once I agree with itootill,

Emergency vehicles do not need full sirens in residential areas at 3:00 AM, loud yes, but not full volume.

And all vehicles should fall under noise regulations issued by the province with set rules on testing.

#26 ·
And all vehicles should fall under noise regulations issued by the province with set rules on testing.
How much do you want to bet that buses and trucks will fail under those regs?

As for the discussion about sirens; West Van has banned them at night ... good on them. Other munis should do likewise. 3am serves no purpose other than for emergency crews reminding everyone they are hard at work.

#30 · (Edited)
problem is the boomers are getting old and are forgetting that they are bitching about the shit they used to do themselves back in the day.

to some people a red lining inline 4 engine sounds like a sewing machine and is annoying. to some harley sounds like a vibrating dildo. to each his own. but those harley guys sure as hell aint bitching about crotch rockets going fast and stuff.

how you cannot see they are using the oldest trick in the book, divide and conquer? first the loud bikes. then the fast bikes. then the bikes.

#43 ·
problem is the boomers are getting old and are forgetting that they are bitching about the shit they used to do themselves back in the day.
I doubt it's the "boomers". I'm a "boomer" and my FZ6 sounds just fine with the Scorpion cans on it. The complainers will more than likely be families with young kids and yuppies at their pools.
I travel to Kelowna a lot, and the one thing I hate is the constant blapping of HD's all night long up and down Harvey Ave (Hwy 97). All the decent hotels are on Harvey, so there's no getting away from it. It's actually quite rare to hear a sportbike winding up at night. As soon as one does, it's quickly followed by a siren.....

#33 ·
kinda like if there were no scary guns then your trap shotgun would get less hate?

you cant honestly think that sport bikes would get less hate if they get rid of loud harleys. that is just asinine.

that line of thinking will have us all riding bloody vstroms, if that.

people who bitch about that stuff think anything more than stamp collecting or doing gardening on a sunday morning is stupid, dangerous, and should be banned.

#32 ·
I think it's really the boats that sparked this fire. Along the way motorcyles got heaped on the pile. I"m sure rig pigs and tuner cars will join the party.

The boats run up and down the lake after dinner and you can hear them from the nice neighborhoods.

After dark then the choppers come up for a trip to Joey Tomatoes etc. on the strip mall street.

The only thing that's saved our lake from more of those boats is there are no pickup bars here to go to once it gets too dark to rip around on the water. All we have open late is A&W and the country bar; if you have a 300K boat you're not going to be seen there.

By making it a municipal noise issue the can avoid issues about vehicles being a Provincial responsibility.

#38 · (Edited)
ahhh... i see... i try not to discriminate

i know i'm gonna be shot for saying this, but i like loud Harleys as well! i've been trying to get my old man to drop some Cobra pipes
on his VTX but mom complains about the noise, which ended up right by her feet previously... now with the TRike setup
there should be no issue, will see... i dont think the old man likes 'em... its too bad.. something sweet about a big arse Twin n' proper pipes..

yeh the straight pipes on some can be abit over done.. but hey... thats how they like 'em... i like my bikes fast and great handling! and loud!!
who am i to judge... i dont think people's dislike for bikes has too much to do with loud pipes.. its mostly rooted in jealousy, weather they admit
it or not... and an extreme lack of education to boot, most cannot comprehend the power to weight ratio and insist we're being dangerous and
unconcerned for other's safety out on the road... ignorance begets hatred... its an endless circle...

whats music to our ears, causes nothing but anger in others, usually among the retired community, but we all know what happened to Indy,
a few over-paid self-entitled idiots thought it was too much of an intrusion on their one weekend to put up with it... off it went... along with millions dollars..

#44 ·
Geezus. Again...... it's the straight piped HDs I'm talking about.....

For a sportbike to get that loud, they would REALLY need to rev it and floor it. But by the time it gets annoying, the bike's already in the next province. Not so with an HD. It's like a fucking fart that lingers and lingers and lingers.

#49 ·
It's like a fucking fart that lingers and lingers and lingers.
Its funny I used this exact analogy with my gf a few weeks back. She was trying to compare my bike to the loud ass HD's I was bitching about. I told her my bike is into the power band and I've upshifted by the time that loud mfer is even reaching its power band.

Here's my scoop: I have a fairly loud exhaust on my bike (Delkevic SS70). My bike came with the original muffler that was so rotten inside it had bits of metal bouncing around. It had to go. And good luck finding a stock exhaust in good shape for a bike that hasn't been made in 25 years.

I live downtown Victoria and commute to work near Sidney. I live near, and ride by the herpy that is View Towers everyday (for those that don't know, its the one highrise in Victoria that was built decades ago and looks like it was designed by the Soviet Union - and it's half filled with crack heads). Despite this, I don't make a racket at 7am because I have respect for those trying to sleep around me. I usually toe up at around 3-4k (bike doesn't start screaming until 7.5k or so). I've rode by cops (who usually camp out near said tower) and they don't bat an eye.

#46 ·
you really dont get it.

for people who are pushing for all those extra rules it doesnt matter what kind of bike. to them everything is offensive. give those turds a foot, they take a mile. as was mentioned already, Indy was the fine example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.