BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Meeting today on Transferable Plates and Lane Filtering.

5K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  4wheelsLESS 
#1 ·
First off let me say that Minister Polak loved my red patent leather heels which started the meeting off well, you know women and their shoes :)

I had an extremely positive meeting with Minister Polak, her Ministerial assistant Kiel Giddens, Assistant Deputy Minister Dave Duncan and Blair Lekstrom. Probably one of the best meetings I have had in my 22 years with BCCOM. On the table for discussion was Lane Filtering and Transferable Plates and it is my distinct feeling that the door is open on both or perhaps a better way to put it is that it is not shut.
Legislation would have to be changed which is huge and I need to do some work in several areas. Nothing will happen before the election but I will be busy following some roads to further this effort.

In the discussion around Transferable Plates I think everyone was in agreement that it is the way to go for all vehicles but as we are smaller in numbers we would make the perfect test case. I believe Minister Polak has a great vision for making driving in BC better and perhaps moving it forward to be a better system in general.

I know you will all be disappointed it was not a slam dunk but these things take years to make happen. I am just glad there was not a no. Blair and I had a meeting afterwards and he gave me some significant input as to what is needed now. The best thing that could have happened for us was California recognizing it formally.

See less See more
#4 ·
I like how they always say it will depend on the election, cause that is the sort of "hey, if you vote for us, we might make it happen", well, that is the way I see it.
Which is exactly why I don't like government, if you want the job, then do something, and do it now! Prove to all of us, that your not just hot air, like mostly all the rest of government, useless and clueless.

I would like to say though, that I do like all the hard work you are doing, having to deal with all the dickly licker talk all the time can be a very large mental burden to endure.
Thank you.

#9 ·
In the discussion around Transferable Plates I think everyone was in agreement that it is the way to go for all vehicles but as we are smaller in numbers we would make the perfect test case. I believe Minister Polak has a great vision for making driving in BC better and perhaps moving it forward to be a better system in general.

this is all i wanted to hear,! and THANK YOU!! :D :coffee

#10 ·
I know you will all be disappointed it was not a slam dunk but these things take years to make happen.
:rockon for the efforts.

:( on the potential timeline.

Keep up the pressure. I'm sure a few letters directed to the Minister from all of us out here who'd be buying 2nd and 3rd bikes (and paying tax on said bikes) to put on those transferable plates should be in order. Perhaps Adele you could give us a quick direction on that (who to send to, what to say etc...)

#14 ·
Farmers in BC have transferable plates

and

Multiple collector vehicles in BC can have transferable plates

If I have two or more collector vehicles,
may I use one plate for all of them?
Yes. If you have approved collector’s status on two
or more vehicles, you can apply for a Collector Multi-
Vehicle Licence and Certifi cate of Insurance. Just take
your collector approval forms for each of your vehicles
to an Autoplan broker. They can advise whether this
option is suitable for your needs.

#22 ·
Thanks Adele. This is the reason why I keep renewing my BCCOM membership.

#23 ·
Vote for the BC Liberal Party and we guarantee and your dreams will come true and your hearts desires will be fulfilled.

Disclaimer. Not a a guarantee. Your dreams and hearts desires may differ from the BC Liberal Party. The BC Liberal Party is not responsible for broken dreams, unfulfilled desires or other promises that not realized. Re-Election will only realize the hopes and dreams of the Premier, the Cabinet Ministers, and other MLAs.

#32 ·
The guidelines were finally written and were written by CHP which is huge. Enforcement is a very important component to this. Funny I wrote the proposal on October of 2011 and the new guidelines CHP wrote are identical, think they used mine? Before you all go crazed on me I am just kidding.

#33 ·
Adele: *THANKS*

I'm glad Blair L. is still involved - he strikes me as a fella with his head screwed on right.

#39 ·
First off, I see no reason why any of us would not spend a "reasonable" premium to have this
feature, so there's an opportunity for increased revenue. There's also the fact that no 2 vehicles
could be operated at the same time, so no, it's not like having 2 bikes insured at the same time.

The point is, they are not insured at the same time, they are insured as required, based on the plate.

#38 ·
Your not confused.I have said it before,ICBC is a cash cow for the goverment.Obviously Transferable plate should be considerably less cost to an individual on the insurance side,But we will have to wait and see.The basic third party liability rates may not change and they may make the savings on the collision side of things,which most of us do not purchase anyways.Tough to remian optimistic when a goverment change is about to happen.

#40 ·
Yes Chia, but depending on how 'lost revenue' is considered having a premium on a transferable plate would not equal the money made right now on having 2 bikes insured. If they use that basis than even a premium to have a transferable plate would be lost revenue.

#42 ·
I don't think I'm going out on a limb here to say that MANY people refuse to insure two bikes due to the cost, so there would be no loss of revenue because many will opt to not insure two bikes right now. Once we have transferable plates, many will opt to pay slightly higher premiums to have multiple bikes. Believe when I say that I'm one of them, as I used to insure 3 street bikes and have dropped it down to 1 plated bike.

#48 ·
I was in Marseille last summer.
I thought it was weird, but when a vehicle is pulling a trailer (not commercial), the trailer must have a duplicate plate of the pulling vehicle.
So we go to his friend's house to borrow his trailer, he pulls the plate off an slaps his on.
You can go and get as many plates made up as you need at a local authorized dealer

I even got one made for my Derbi duplicating my BC plate number :)

Attachments

#49 ·
Realistically, plate transfer will happen before lane filtering because it looks like win-win for additional revenue based on "volume" business plan, rather than "high margin" that depend on the few rich people that can afford multiple insured vehicles at the same time. Now, only if they can see the light that when lane filtering is allowed with multiple plates, more revenue spinned-off from the people that finds the appeal in the 2-wheeled lane filtering to get through metro traffic. Show/convince them lane filtering will only help the snowball effect of revenue generation.

For the naysayers that comes up with negative-risks involving lane filtering, then there are more revenue from acreditation/traning/etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.