BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Rider Down Memorial Service May 5th, 2013

10K views 93 replies 20 participants last post by  miraclejoe 
#1 · (Edited)
It is with great pleasure that I announce the first "Rider Down Memorial Service" Sunday May 5th at 11 AM. It will be located at the Bonsor Cenotaph, corner of Imperial and Nelson in Burnaby

The B.C. Coalition of Motorcyclists along with the Canadian Army Vetrans (CAV) will be hosting this service to honor our friends, family and loved ones who have been lost while riding. The Padre from the CAV will be performing the service.

It is also a salute to and a perfect way to bring in May is Motorcycle Awareness Month and the proclamation from governemnt will be read. Please do your best to attend and let's make this an event to rival the Toy Run! It will NOT be a parade but a destination with Jubilee Ave. being closed for motorcycle parking. Stay tuned for more details.

#52 ·
A common theme I seeing here is that some, perhaps many, do not even know what this event is/was, to a degree, myself included.

A "service" done by a Padre, hosted by Canadian Army Veterans, does not sound like it speaks to anyone in the sportbike community,
in in fairness, any bike community. No disrespect intended, just personally do not understand the parallels between our riding
community, and the above?

There's mention within this thread of a 30mins service, yet the event details do not really tell anyone how long, what structure, or
frankly much of anything about an event many, if any of us have heard of before. If it's a first annul event, there's a responsibility
of the organizers to spell things out in great detail, if they are going to complain afterwards, that the event was poorly attended
by a certain group, ie many of the riders on this site.

Perhaps this event was discussed on other sites, or between other circles in greater detail and clarity, but to me, I see a very vague
description, and have no real feel for what exactly it was trying to represent or accomplish.......you gotta spell it out for people, and
sometimes a bit of a back-story or details as to what led up to the event and why it's being hosted go a long way in getting people to
buy-in and support it.

All that said, like a few others have suggested, the weather, being so perfect, was also a big contributor to getting many people on
this site in particular, out on the road, not standing in a a parking lot mid morning. Also, starting to get a bit of a feel for what this
event was now, I suspect attendance from the average sportbiker will be about the same in the future, just callin a spade a spade.

#53 ·
To be honest, because of the amount of deaths of family, friends and loved ones in the sport bike community I thought it would be looked at as something to attend. Perhaps there was not enough information, will work on that for next year but it was fairly straight forward. The weather is a funny thing, it can work for you or against you :)

#58 ·
I was discussing this with someone yesterday and although I didn't attend (working) I had a couple thoughts on the subject. First off, hosted by the 3rd CAV or not, a motorcycle memorial should not take place at a cenotaph; those are reserved for Canada's war dead, not traffic fatalities. For that reason alone, I wouldn't have attended, had I been able to.

But more importantly, the derision in this thread confirms my suspicions: this wasn't a memorial event at all. With all the comments regarding attendance, and people not showing up to support the "motorcycle cause," let's call it what it was: a rally. Because if the primary motivation here had been to allow motorcyclists to recall their dead comrades, no one would care how many or how few people showed up.

Instead, people are griping that only 50 people showed up, which means it was really a thinly veiled attempt to follow in the Canadian political tradition of trotting out "the memory of the innocent victims" in order to pander to the media and curry political favour. And although there are plenty of groups that love to join their political causes and rallies with "memories of the victims," I for one don't support that style of politics, be it from the anti-gun lobby or BCCOM. I don't like it.

I for one would rather see a speed-limit ride up the S2S protesting the impound laws rather than this sort of emo-political buffoonery, and I dare say there'd be one hell of a good turnout for an event like that, compared the uphill battle you have trying to advance events like this. Hell, if BCCOM doesn't organize that ride, I will... if just to prove that it can be done!

#60 ·
I was discussing this with someone yesterday and although I didn't attend (working) I had a couple thoughts on the subject. First off, hosted by the 3rd CAV or not, a motorcycle memorial should not take place at a cenotaph; those are reserved for Canada's war dead, not traffic fatalities. For that reason alone, I wouldn't have attended, had I been able to.

But more importantly, the derision in this thread confirms my suspicions: this wasn't a memorial event at all. With all the comments regarding attendance, and people not showing up to support the "motorcycle cause," let's call it what it was: a rally. Because if the primary motivation here had been to allow motorcyclists to recall their dead comrades, no one would care how many or how few people showed up.

Instead, people are griping that only 50 people showed up, which means it was really a thinly veiled attempt to follow in the Canadian political tradition of trotting out "the memory of the innocent victims" in order to pander to the media and curry political favour. And although there are plenty of groups that love to join their political causes and rallies with "memories of the victims," I for one don't support that style of politics, be it from the anti-gun lobby or BCCOM. I don't like it.

I for one would rather see a speed-limit ride up the S2S protesting the impound laws rather than this sort of emo-political buffoonery, and I dare say there'd be one hell of a good turnout for an event like that, compared the uphill battle you have trying to advance events like this. Hell, if BCCOM doesn't organize that ride, I will... if just to prove that it can be done!
I organized one last year, turn out was about 40ish,
From 200 st to Squamish
it was a good ride up to Squamish with a few impatient riders that couldn't remain with the pace.
We only passed one vehicle that was driven by an elderly man.
We weren't blocking the traffic, stayed in the right lane most of the time.
The police was parked at the Port Mann and followed us for a while and took off at Hastings.
It was an experience,
Did not make the news or raised awareness about anything.
Drivers just thought we were a bunch of assholes which did not improve the motorcyclist cause in any way.

#63 ·
Ok I will rephrase and come at this a little more politely.

BCCOM I may not have a clue what you do, but as a lobbyist is that not entirely your job. If I, someone who rides a motorbike and is very active in the community does not understand what you are doing how can I expect you to have the ear of politicians.

#73 ·
Perhaps an open mind would help? I'm someone who rides a motorbike and is very active in the community. I understand completely what is going on. If you'd like to meet up some time I'd be happy to tell you what I have learned.

#67 ·
while recording all the people speeding and passing not safely, then reporting to the cops asking if it is ok for some car drivers to report speeding bikes and result in helicopters being up in the air... where is the same response when tables are turned? make sure it goes to the local papers/tv stations as well.

#80 ·
I know plenty of "real live war veterans" that would have a big problem with strolling past their local cenotaph and finding BCCOM poster leaned up against one side of the cenotaph while a couple of bikers from the 3rd CAV, who themselves don't have to be actual veterans to join that particular club, sit on it.

#83 ·
Well we have two sides of crazy here. If you didn't fight in ww1 or ww2 and call yourself a veteran you are a stretching things.

You chose to be there. It's a job that carries no more credibility than a cop or a Wal Mart greeter.

You did it for personal reasons.

Now I come from a military family and the thought of using a cenotaph for anything other than a military memorial is sickening. Go on a pilgrimage to roadside memorials but please don't use someone else's headstone. That's how I view those cenotaphs.

#85 ·
What about Korea, the Balkans, Afghanistan, and all the peacekeeping duties? Also, anyone who went to war for Canada in ww2 was a volunteer.

As modern day veterans are want to say, "We wrote a cheque to the government for an amount up to and including our lives. How the government chose sto cash that cheque was not up to us" (I paraphrased of course).

You'd also be surprised at the percentage of support troops. Apparently, (a US statistic) only 9% of soldiers during ww2 actually saw combat. You'd be hard pressed to find a combat veteran that would dis a support troop as you have.

#87 ·
For a bunch of guys with a reputation for "fuck everything" you got sensitive pretty fast.

If you are that dedicated to remembrance, come join me on May 26 @ 2:00 in North Van. The War Memorial Cenotaph has been updated and there will be rededication service. Victoria Park @ Keith Rd and Lonsdale. A reception will follow at the Fell Armouries.

Come say hi and I'll buy you a beer. We can talk about how real veterans feel about these topics. There will be lots there. Expect to see lots of sport bikes there too.

#90 ·
Stonecold, you are a sad case. Not worthy of anyone's sympathy. Shouldn't you be off somewhere committing a terrorist act or something?

If there ever was a good reason for banning someone, your lack of humanity would certainly qualify.

Good riddance.

#91 ·
Lack of humanity? Because I lack respect for the military? Don't worry, you guys make me as sick as I do you.

There are plenty of people in out country that could use out help before people in others deserve it.

I don't respect terrorists any more than I respect the military. Both are equally draconian and unintelligent.

#92 ·
I am extremely accomodating and helpful to anyone who needs my help. I love motorcycles and the social scene associated with it.

However this forum is crazy conservative, which is something I don't understand, just like you guys don't understand me. Keep it respectful and I will, locksmith I am not demanding your banning for supporting Another view. So what's your issue with me?

#93 ·
This forum is conservative because most of granola munchers dont use IC engines or cant afford to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.