BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Rider Down Memorial Service May 5th, 2013

10K views 93 replies 20 participants last post by  miraclejoe 
#1 · (Edited)
It is with great pleasure that I announce the first "Rider Down Memorial Service" Sunday May 5th at 11 AM. It will be located at the Bonsor Cenotaph, corner of Imperial and Nelson in Burnaby

The B.C. Coalition of Motorcyclists along with the Canadian Army Vetrans (CAV) will be hosting this service to honor our friends, family and loved ones who have been lost while riding. The Padre from the CAV will be performing the service.

It is also a salute to and a perfect way to bring in May is Motorcycle Awareness Month and the proclamation from governemnt will be read. Please do your best to attend and let's make this an event to rival the Toy Run! It will NOT be a parade but a destination with Jubilee Ave. being closed for motorcycle parking. Stay tuned for more details.

#7 · (Edited)
Just got a call from MLA Blair Lekstrom's office to confirm the office address to send the Proclamation for "May is Motorcycle Awareness Month" this is great news as we have never gotten one when an election was being held. Will be proclaimed at the Rider Down Memorial Service May 5th. Thank you MLA Lekstrom!

#12 ·
This is a great opportunity to make a statement about motorcycling in BC. We hope the media will be in attendance to report on the fact that motorcyclists are using the roads too and motorists need to wake up!

May 5th @ 11:00 in Burnaby at corner of Imperial and Nelson.

#19 ·
P.A. check, generator check, bagpiper check, proclamation check, barricades check, tent check and last but not least sunshine check check check :). See you at the Rider Down Memorial Service tomorrow starting at 11 am on corner of Imperial and Nelson in Burnaby, motorcycle only parking on Jubilee access off Nelson.

#22 ·
This sportbike crowd bitches about getting shafted by out government,
but when there is an event organized that will eventually benefit all motorcyclists,
Sportbikes are nowhere to be found.

I could count on one hand the sportbikes at the rider down memorial today.

#24 ·
They were all on the S2S today, And Pemberton.

#25 ·
#26 ·
I was in my car with my wife and eldest daughter. Lots if bikes out. It is what it is. It was a worthy cause but Sunday, gorgeous weather, work for a living, riders want to ride their own plans. I think. Many on this site were on the S2S I think. Whiny bitches, maybe.

#35 ·
It was a good and meaningful effort/event, and though the attendance was somewhat anemic ... one might attribute that to this being the first really good weekend weather window, so many (if not most) motorcyclists were out there riding their wheels off (and not 'dissing' the fallen) ... not to mention the denial/avoidance aspect of human 'reality' ... I'll bet the numbers will increase in subsequent years.

Perhaps a slightly less noisy location, for next year ... :surrender

#46 · (Edited)
Some riders are very private. Namely me. I will not join any group rides. One trip to the Oyster Run for me. I'll donate, say a prayer, but I will not join a group ride. That's just me. I see dozens of heat seeks along the S2S every weekend and I want nothing to do with them and I'm sure they're fine without me. I sit along, drink and try not to listen to the BS or breath the smoke of all the boy racers at Squabucks. I talk to folks and share tables. For sure there are lads on this site I would ride with and I've even met a few. But I'm not intersted in joining any groups. Cudos to those who organize many of these rides and I'm sure most have a good time for a very good cause, it's just not me. I'm quite happy being a curmudgeon that I am. However, I see many excellent riders as well. To each his own.

#47 ·
I absolutely despise BCCOM and like others have said will do absolutely nothing associated with it in any way.

These memorial rides are priceless, what if drivers went on a drive every year to respect "the fallen". It just sounds fucking stupid.

#50 ·
Locksmith , this is and has been a season opener ride for the last 4 years . we were discussing this ride in a thread the end of January . the ride has also been held on the first Sunday
in May

EACH AND EVERY YEAR

. I was even asked to change the ride date last year by another ride that was just starting up .

AND again just for your info Locksmith is is a season opener ride (not the biggest ride of the year) and this is the 4th year so looking at the last three years ride dates it would have been safe to assume that the same weekend would have been the ride date ,but then i don't have to tell you that because your an intelligent guy right?
While i Like and Respect Adele and this is in no way directed negatively towards her .
NO ONE Phoned ,e-mailed, texted or tried to get ahold of candy run organizers to Discuss opinions about rides /meets and services so that such things could be scheduled to maximize attendance.

#51 ·
First off congratulations on what sounds like an awesome turnout!!! I knew about the ride and thought there would be attendance for both, please do not take this as criticism as that is not the case. I would never ask anyone to change their date, especially one that has been going on for 4 years :). I think the disappointment comes from people who went on their own "ride" for the day and made the choice not to attend. Anyways all is good and we will just try to build it for next year. There are 28,000 insured in Vancouver proper itself so in the lower mainland there are more than enough bikes to go around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.