BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

New (to me) Bike day!

16K views 143 replies 58 participants last post by  falco1uk 
#1 ·
After getting a tip and a link from a buddy (Newbusa), half a dozen emails, 1 phone call and 5 pictures I took a drive to Trail.

Twelve hundred kilometres, 17 hours, 2.5 tanks of fuel and one great road trip later I put a new baby in the garage.

1985 VF1000R.
Number 15 of 308 imported to Canada.
23,300 km.
Last insured in 2006.
Starts on the first crank, idles steady, pulls clean.
Super sexy gear driven cams providing a wonderful sound track.
No accidents, no missing parts, stock as a rock.
A couple of small cracks and one small scrape on the belly pan.

A wheelbase slightly shorter than a Greyhound bus and a GVW slightly higher.
Goofy 17"/16" tires.
The second model sold to the public that HRC had a hand in; the first being the CB1100R and the third being the RC-30.

The only other VF1000R I have seen was a dealer owned model that was a static display at one of the SBW gatherings in Osoyoos.

It requires some maintenance, but nothing that isn't going to be enjoyable. I foresee happy days de-stressing in the garage. I'll grab some better pictures tomorrow and then off to ICBC to do the paperwork to apply for collector plates.

To say I'm ecstatic is an understatement. A huge thanks to Johnny Gee for uncovering it for me! :cheers :coffee :thumbup :thumbup

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow that's so awesome. One of my favorite bikes ever. I had an '86. I put on a full hindle 4 into one system.. The sound was incredible. I'd love to see one in person again

#25 ·
Hells bells, she's doing 1/4 of a ton just sitting there! :laughing

That's quite the collection I'll have to show that to my wife next time she complains about my toys she'll appreciate me more lol.
The 696 is hers. She wants an F800R and I keep encouraging her to get one to keep the Monster company. :evilgrin

That is a great find, congrats and hope to follow you up Baker to see it in action.
Some suspension work and new tires and you gotta deal ....... but you'll be arcing past at the first hairpin! :surrender

This of course is a clear trend of classic and collectable bikes of the 70's,80's, and now 90's being sought out, not just because they are 'uber kewl', but this kind of bike helps justify the motorcycle hobby by having a machine that will probably be worth more if you decide to sell. Add in the fact that its' super cheap insurance, and also that this kind of machine is very useable to do what 90% of the time we end up doing off of a race track around here. This is a very good purchase.

BTW, I am very 'calmed' to note that there are garages out there that are stuffed fuller than mine with "stuff".
I agree. Bikes are relatively small, inexpensive and pretty damn cool in my eyes. This makes them pretty collectible for me.
Seeing as there is a Laverda. an RC-30 and I don't know what else in your garage, I may only have beaten you on tonnage! :flashy

Congrats! What's the honda in the background?
That's an '89 CBR600. Another barn find that a buddy picked up. Never, ever down, mint plastic, lady owned, original everything, always stored inside and 15,000 km. I just need to do putter a little bit on it and it will be running like a top. And once he's tired of it and wants to sell, I'll lowball him! What else are friends for? :devillook

#22 ·
Well done!

This of course is a clear trend of classic and collectable bikes of the 70's,80's, and now 90's being sought out, not just because they are 'uber kewl', but this kind of bike helps justify the motorcycle hobby by having a machine that will probably be worth more if you decide to sell. Add in the fact that its' super cheap insurance, and also that this kind of machine is very useable to do what 90% of the time we end up doing off of a race track around here. This is a very good purchase.

BTW, I am very 'calmed' to note that there are garages out there that are stuffed fuller than mine with "stuff".

#23 ·
I'm not sure if you know already but I remember this stumped me for a bit when I first got mine. In order to get to the battery you have to pull the whole tail/seat off. there's two bolts on either side underneath by the turn signals. also don't bother adjusting the clip ons down, they won't clear the upper.:)

#26 ·
That's a good tip about the battery. It's always fun trying to find your way into a new machine!

Those adjustable clip ons were a surprise! They look big enough to beat a water buffalo to death with!

#24 · (Edited)
I rode it for the first time last night, up and down my alley for about 10 minutes until it got nice and warm.

Cooling fan comes on, no coolant leaks, no oil leaks, all the electrical works.

Brakes? Somehow OEM rubber hoses that age are shite, what a surprise. HEL makes kits, Spiegler makes kits ...... no problem.

E-mails off to the suspension guys, researching what rubber is available, pulling off calipers for cleaning .......... the list goes on and on. Most excellent!

#27 · (Edited)
there's all kinds of stuff on there that isn't normally sold on a street bike. another one is that the front wheel is a "quck release" system. It's got a basic slipper clutch, for the life of me I could never bump start the bike. Get the suspension re-done, mine was pretty bagged and the handling suffered because of it, especially on those spindly tires.
LOL water buffalo.. the FWS1000 that the 1000r came from was nicknamed the "water whale"!
If you haven't seen it d/l the movie "Fast Freddie" about, suprisingly Freddie Spencer. Among other things it shows the Daytona that Honda brought the FWS1000 to. Spencer and Baldwin would race away from everybody else easily.. unfortunately the bike killed tires and they weren't able to win the race.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/featurefws.htm

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

#29 ·
there's all kinds of stuff on there that isn't normal sold on a street bike. another one is that the front wheel is a "quck release" system. Get the suspension re-done, mine was pretty bagged and the handling suffered because of it, especially on those spindly tires.
LOL water buffalo.. the FWS1000 that the 1000r came from was nicknamed the "water whale"!
If you haven't seen it d/l the movie "Fast Freddie" about, suprisingly Freddie Spencer. Among other things it shows the Daytona that Honda brought the FWS1000 to. Spencer and Baldwin would race away from everybody else easily.. unfortunately the bike killed tires and they weren't able to win the race.

View attachment 103148
Looking for a download on that right now.

The little trick bits are great to look at. Multi-piece aluminum Comstars, that quick change front,
the underslung and ventilated rear brake, first cast aluminum swingarm on a Honda, NACA ducts,
air adjustable suspension .......

Any idea what the flaps in the sidepanels for? There is one on each side, about 2" by 3" and are hinged.

#31 ·
I never found any information about the doors on the ducting. I always assumed it was something left over from the endurance racing teams, maybe to give the option to have more cooling for slower tracks/hotter days at the expense of some slight aerodynamics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.