BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Martin, also heavily involved in the 40 km over impounds

8K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  adamantium 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I've taken the opening and closing lines of the article. and posted them below. It's so awesome that BCCOM is not only championing the loud pipes and beanie brigade, they have also shouldered the task of defending drunk drivers. Wow, what a wonderful organization that represents common sense and fairplay.

Thanks for enlightening me on this subject in that way that only BCCOM can do.

It’s great that fewer people are dying on our roads, but I think that is due to increased enforcement, better cars, ever improving emergency care and weather patterns — not because police are sending impaired motorists to face an adjudicator rather than a judge.There is no argument that we need to focus on changing that cultural bad habit. But milking and severely punishing drivers who make an error in judgment is the wrong way to do it and the costs of that strategy are mounting

Less people dying because of changing weather, better nurses and 5 star safety ratings? How refreshing.

#8 ·
I am afraid you have missed the point entirely, this has nothing to do with drunk driving it has to do with heavy handed laws that do not stand up in court and are unconstitutional. At one point you need to look at things without bias against BCCOM and realize that the laws in this province have some serious issues. Sometimes David when you are too close to the law you think they can do no wrong which in itself ends up being a problem.

#51 ·
You showing up as the antagonist to almost every thread BCCOM post leads me to believe there must be some underlying issue. What I find even more disturbing is your very obvious lack of respect for the constitution that us as Canadians rely on for a transparent and fair process in which to be prosecuted. Especially since you are an RCMP officer! IMO "you people" look to hard at society through the blinders provided by your organization. Being a Sheppard of the sheeple does not make your opinion any more validated then another's.

#6 ·
"Milking and severely punishing drivers who makes an error in judgement" is not how I would catagorize an impaired driver or someone who chooses to speed way above the speed limits. Driving while impaired is not a judgement error. Driving at least 50 k above the limit on public roads is not an error in judgement, it is a deliberate choice. Backing up 2 inches too far and scraping a post is a judgement error. The immediate roadside apprehension for both of these broken laws IS having an effect. Basic criminology theory has proved that the heightened risk of apprehension is motivating factor that works best in preventing future crime. The fact that the drivers are out of the cars and the vehicles seized also prevents continuation of the offence. I can't understand why anyone would support a lack of enforcement on impaired drivers and excessive speeders on the streets we drive?

#7 ·
I can't understand why anyone would support a lack of enforcement on impaired drivers and excessive speeders on the streets we drive?
because they're worried they'll get pinched?

now granted there are things about these new laws that i either don't like myself or as has been shown, the police/gvo't side of the equation is prone to errors as well. so i think that some of the outcry comes from the perception that the police and gov't can be trusted to do their jobs with impunity. if there was greater trust by the public in the police and gov't then there would most likely be less of an outcry.

be that as it may though ignorance of the law is not really an excuse and if one is willing to risk dancing on edge of the law then one should realistically be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions if they should be "unfortunate" enough to get caught.

#11 ·
They're still both badly written laws, akin to giving a starving man a chocolate bar instead of teaching him to fish.

It gave the political hacks another cynical press conference. And then the appeals start. Once they pinch the wrong person with enough bucks to take it to the hoop convictions will start to be overturned.

If they wanted to deal with speed they should address the current low limits, increase enforcement in the school and construction zones and give the kids an outlet like a take it to the track program.

For the drunks more road checks and more people in the court system to move the cases through along a concentrated effort to debunk the "I drank after the accident" defense.

#12 ·
Passing sentence without proper judicial process is un constitutional period. I don't give a fuck if you cops think that these laws work or not, you are not a judge and therefore should not have the power to decide who is guilty right there on the spot. You are not trained to make such decisions and MOST of you have a very skewed view on society as a whole because you tend to deal with the rif raf 99% of the time. If you think for one second that you are saving the world one speeding ticket, impound at a time. You sir are dilusional and really changing nothing.

#19 ·
Years ago when I was a Long Haul Truck driver,
I got stopped in Ohio, for ...not sure if it was oversize or overweight, not speeding for sure,
anyways, I had to deal with the fine before I could leave, I had to go to traffic court before I could move the truck again.
Traffic court was open 24/7

#21 ·
http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=8131447

This is the problem, and the total disconnect our laws have with natural justice.
Carol berner, drunken negligent cunt, KILLS a kid and 4 years of bullshit appeals later gets 2 years in jail.
You, 3 beer queer you are, harms no one and has ur actual useful life in upheaval due to our new roadside justice.

How bout drive drunk all you want, get a ticket or something.
Hurt someone driving drunk, be publicly flogged.
Kill someone, life, execution. Etc.

#23 ·
Steve Martin - Government Senior Staffer, Banjo Player, Comedian, Anti-Christ.

Thus speaks the dues collecting secret society who has zero fiscal transparency and used to claim to be the motorcycle lobbyist. :laughing

I am pretty sure the Government has google search running on BCCOM, if I worked for the government and say how BCCOM rips the civil servants a new one whenever possible any BCCOM issue would be round filed as soon as the last Tim Bit was eaten.

The Court of Appeal, and if necessary, the SCC can deal with Constitutional issues.

Why don't you just share with us the questionnaire you are sending out to the people running in the next provincial election. I am sure that all of us would like to see what BCCOM is doing with the dues you are collecting.

I've taken the opening and closing lines of the article. and posted them below. It's so awesome that BCCOM is not only championing the loud pipes and beanie brigade, they have also shouldered the task of defending drunk drivers. Wow, what a wonderful organization that represents common sense and fairplay.

Thanks for enlightening me on this subject in that way that only BCCOM can do.

It’s great that fewer people are dying on our roads, but I think that is due to increased enforcement, better cars, ever improving emergency care and weather patterns — not because police are sending impaired motorists to face an adjudicator rather than a judge.There is no argument that we need to focus on changing that cultural bad habit. But milking and severely punishing drivers who make an error in judgment is the wrong way to do it and the costs of that strategy are mounting

Less people dying because of changing weather, better nurses and 5 star safety ratings? How refreshing.
BCCOM has a special way with words. I always find the spelling and grammar mistakes in their posted letters and emails to be especially endearing.

"Milking and severely punishing drivers who makes an error in judgement" is not how I would catagorize an impaired driver or someone who chooses to speed way above the speed limits. Driving while impaired is not a judgement error. Driving at least 50 k above the limit on public roads is not an error in judgement, it is a deliberate choice. Backing up 2 inches too far and scraping a post is a judgement error. The immediate roadside apprehension for both of these broken laws IS having an effect. Basic criminology theory has proved that the heightened risk of apprehension is motivating factor that works best in preventing future crime. The fact that the drivers are out of the cars and the vehicles seized also prevents continuation of the offence. I can't understand why anyone would support a lack of enforcement on impaired drivers and excessive speeders on the streets we drive?
Stop using logic, stop it right now. Really, I mean it

#24 · (Edited)
Formuliac and mechanical thinking, and heavy-handed laws, can only result in a repressive society.

The original road-side suspension laws were, on many (charter/constitutional) levels, at par with the quality and accuracy of that shed-building project that DNA has posted in another thread (build to fail).

Only right-headed (NOT right-brained!) and clear thinking, can result in an open and progressive world.

And it appears that, again, the BCSB battle-lines are drawn.

#28 ·
Only right-headed (NOT right-brained!) and clear thinking, can result in an open and progressive world.

And it appears that, again, the BCSB battle-lines are drawn.
No surprises for who is on what side of the debate. Another day on BCSB.

But I always get a kick out of passive-aggressive textbook liberal remarks like your first line quoted above, attempting to state that people of that point of view having the moral high ground.

#25 ·
I personally have no problem with laws concerning speeding or drinking and driving. I do have an issue with an officer handing out a ticket that I am unable to dispute. As we have all seen or experienced some officers can over do it, get overly enthusiastic and make mistakes when conducting themselves much like anyone else. Saying "we have impounded XXXX vehicles due to speed and or drinking and driving" is a farce because there is no way to prove if the laws were truly broken given the recipient of the ticket has no way to defend them selves just the offers say so and they never make mistakes right?
We have BCCOM and they do a lot of good for motorcycles and if you disagree then get off your ass and do something about it get involved.

#34 ·
Talking to a tow truck driver this morning, he told me they impounded a guy 3 weekends in a row for drunk driving. Now is that considered an effective law?

The alcoholics will continue to drive drunk, even if you take their licenses away or put breathalyzers in their car. I also know a couple people with interlocks on their car, and yes, they get other people to blow into it :laughing

#50 ·
Is it just me,or does anyone else find it confusing that, while this thread is about giving judge like powers to the police is seriously fucked up. BCCOM is being accused of being in favor of driving drunk and excessive speed.

I love DNAs little ditty at the bottom of every post. It may sound like something someone said at starbucks last week, but the quote is over 100 years old.( please correct me if I am wrong DNA, I looked it up a while ago)

I have no Idea why she even bothers to post here,with all the shit she must endure almost every time, but I am sure glad she does.

#68 ·
Yes. It's been a ten year undercover operation. My plan is now coming to fruition!

(Cue evil music and Vincent Price laugh) BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! (Please read the Baha in a deep voice)

#72 ·
I wonder if support for the roadside justice would change if the police officer received a one week suspension (from driving) and had to pay the impound charges personally, if overturned by a REAL judge? Not sure how that would go over, but you would see a lot more thought going into it.

Look at the bright side folks! When the NDP gets back in, and shuts down big business again, photo radar will take the heat off 40+impounds.

#73 ·
I really don't understand the point of this thread.
So the prick at the helm of this misguided ship is being reassigned?
Next month he will probably be in charge of some other department he knows nothing about ,make a mess of that and move on.
So what the damage is done and other than spreading the news about this travesty of justice BCCOM has done Absolutely nothing to fight against this.
Posting troll threads and trying to get people wound up about this issue is not exactly a strategic battle plan and serves no purpose.
Talk-Action=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.