BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Questions for the candidates in the upcoming election.

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  elevation 
#1 · (Edited)
The questions are on the BCCOM website, will put the responses up in a couple of weeks once we gather them. Be sure to check out the candidates in your constituency!

And yes I know you some of you hate the site but it is being worked on :)

Adele

#4 · (Edited)
I would like to see the base rate for minimal insurance with ICBC drop by 80%. Why does it costs me 900 bucks for essentially nothing.

Charge the people that chronically crash 80% more to balance things out. If they stop driving, the roads will be safer.

Get ride of the 12% tax on used vehicles. That is double taxation. It will promote more buying/selling and help local businesses.

A controversial topic.. Find a way to charge taxes on everything declared at the border. How about a CC reader. You tell the agent what you bought, he plugs in the number, you swipe your card and off you go. Nobody would seriously complain. Use the money collected to give us lower ICBC rates, or maybe to pay for road and bridge construction, but NOT for Translink...

#6 ·
Here are the BCCOM Questions, as copied from their website.

The questions seem to be constructed in such a fashion that they can be answered with a simple yes or no. The statistical BS that can be pulled from this survey is fantastic. Why would any candidate answer this questionnaire ?

One has to wonder who wrote these questions I especially like question 4 and its' reference to "Carnage on the Roads"

It would be nice if BCCOM could share with us their previous pre-election questions asked, the responses given ,and the response rate.

FROM BCCOM WEBSITE

The letter below is in the process of being sent to every candidate in the upcoming election. We will post the responses after they are gathered.

Dear Candidate,

The members of the B.C. Coalition of Motorcyclists (BCCOM) are extremely interested in your views and stance on motorcycling in this province. With over 260,000 motorcycle license holders in B.C. that are spread across this province your opinion matters to these voters. We have put together a quick eight questions that have been sent to every candidate in the upcoming election. Your response or lack of response will be posted up on our website www.bccom-bc.com to enable the motorcyclists of B.C. to make an informed decision on the general feelings by a candidate about a sport and lifestyle they hold dear.
The Coalition is not interested in getting a one voice policy from your party. With hundreds, possibly thousands of motorcyclists living in your constituency please take the time to answer these few questions.

1. Would you be in favour of Transferrable Plates for motorcycles?

2. Will you support a lane filtering proposal for motorcycles similar to California?

3. Will you support mandatory training for new riders and would you support lower insurance rates for riders who have taken training courses?

4. In order to reduce carnage on the roads would you support an awareness campaign to make auto drivers more aware of motorcyclists?

5. Do you support police powers that allow for the levy of fines and the seizure of property without judicial process?

6. Do you feel that lane filtering, tax breaks, revised insurance programs and increased motorcycle parking in urban areas is an effective method to decreasing fuel consumption, congestion, and emissions?

7. Will you work towards a standardized provincial noise testing policy to insure all cities and municipalities have consistent and fair regulations for all motor vehicles?

8. Would you be in favour of a comprehensive reporting system within the Insurance Corporation of B.C. in conjunction with police to enable an accurate compilation of factors surrounding motorcycle accidents i.e. make, model, length of time riding, training courses?

#7 ·
Yeah, carnage seems a little over the top..

car·nage (kärnj)
n.
1. Massive slaughter, as in war; a massacre.
2. Corpses, especially of those killed in battle.
[French, from Old French, from Old Italian carnaggio, from Medieval Latin carnticum, meat, from Latin car, carn-, flesh; see sker-1 in Indo-European roots.]

#9 ·
Thanks for the update on carnage. Many of us have had to manage those accident scenes and that is why many of us are of the ATGATT ilk.

Now back to the question of the day.

Where are the responses from the candidates and how many candidates responded?

#10 ·
This is nice but instead of asking "4. In order to reduce carnage on the roads would you support an awareness campaign to make auto drivers more aware of motorcyclists?"
I would ask when are you going to start yanking licenses an fining and jailing the shit out of drivers that kill and maim people with there cars due to total incompetence or better yet when are you going to stop handing out licenses with so little training and adequate testing. Or when are you going to start enforcing the laws that cause most of the "carnage" on our roads.

#11 · (Edited)
The responses we have received from candidates are up on the BCCOM website listed by party. If you are not sure of your candidate go to Elections B.C. and put in your postal code. I am afraid we are getting a one party response from the NDP which is disappointing as people would like to know their candidates personal stance.

This is the standard response I am recieving from all the NDP Candidates:

Thank you for your email.

The BC NDP recognizes your organization is a leading advocate for motorcyclists in BC. You have raised some important questions facing motorcyclists in your survey, however motorcycling has not been covered in our platform.
If the NDP forms the next government, we would look forward to meeting with you to discuss ways in which we can work together to make the road safer for motorcyclists and ensure that motorcyclists are treated fairly in our insurance system.
Please feel free to contact me for any further information you may need on any of these questions.

#12 ·
The BC NDP recognizes your organization is a leading advocate for motorcyclists in BC. You have raised some important questions facing motorcyclists in your survey, however motorcycling has not been covered in our platform.
If the NDP forms the next government, we would look forward to meeting with you to discuss ways in which we can work together to make the road safer for motorcyclists and ensure that motorcyclists are treated fairly in our insurance system.
Please feel free to contact me for any further information you may need on any of these questions.
translation: vote for us then we might talk

#13 ·
some interesting responses on the bccom site, and a couple that were so disgustingly lazy and thoughtless that I wouldn't vote for them based on that alone.

#14 · (Edited)
It takes extra work for me to post in a BCCOM thread :laughing

However since this extensive survey was done with the input of so many BCSB members it is too bad that there was no analysis provided.

Some Simple stats

19 Parties are running a total of 376 Candidates

There were 19 responses or 5%

Actual Responses by Candidates by Party

NDP ( one party response) and one rebel who wrote their own response ( Counts as 2)

Liberals (2)
Conservative (3)
Green (10)
Excalibur Party (1)
Independent (Ian T) (1)

No response from the following parties

B.C. Vision
BC First Party
BC Libertarian Party
BC Social Credit Party
Communist Party of BC
Helping Hand Party
Platnium Party of Employers Who Think and Act to Increase Awareness
Unparty: The Consensus-Building Party
Work Less Party

Burning Question

Why there is no Loud Pipe Party in BC ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.