BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Latest Statistics From ICBC

5K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  BCCOM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am having trouble posting them here so please go to www.bccom-bc.com to view. If anyone can get them into this post it would be appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
cool.

-so there are roughly 2.6 times the number of licenced riders as there are insured motorcycles.

-the average age of m/c licence holders is increasing.

-20% of motorcycles insured in a year are insured in winter and nearly 100% in summer

-and motorcycles pose almost zero risk of injury to anyone except their operators or passengers

soo, what r u doin with this mostly self evident info?

#5 ·
So, like 2 non motorcycle operator but could be a passenger fatalities per 100,000 bikes insured? So 0.002% of fatalities, causing death? And that 0.002%, probably a passenger. So basically, the government and media are completely skewed and possibly dishonest but certainly untrue in what they are informing the public about how any motorcyclist can harm anyone except themselves and passenger. People and gov't should mind their own f'ing business!

#22 ·
So, like 2 non motorcycle operator but could be a passenger fatalities per 100,000 bikes insured? So 0.002% of fatalities, causing death? And that 0.002%, probably a passenger. So basically, the government and media are completely skewed and possibly dishonest but certainly untrue in what they are informing the public about how any motorcyclist can harm anyone except themselves and passenger. People and gov't should mind their own f'ing business!

You have to read the notes below the statistics

Motorcycle rider includes motorcycle drivers and motorcycle passengers.
Non motorcycle rider includes drivers and passengers of other involved vehicles, and pedestrians and cyclists

#8 ·
Death and disaster sells news papers. or get people to stay tuned in till the end of the newscast..

#10 ·
Stats really say it all.

Motorcycles dramatically increased - deaths and accidents stayed fairly consistent. But the province has decided to focus on bikes and make our lives difficult, interesting that there is no statistical proof to justify their actions. In fact this data seems to argue to the contrary.

And this is why I ride almost exclusively south of the border for fun now.

#11 ·
I think another question should be type of bike?
Cruiser? or Sportbike?
Personal thought here is more sportbike riders, what is needed is more education for all riders, sure get the licence, but then get further instruction and practise at a government owned public road course. The costs of going to a track is way out of reach for some, it should be free! Paid by? All of us! They spend millions on roads and bridges, why not a road course? And here is one for you, Motorcycles only allowed! It gets that speed thing on public roads out of everyone's system, and it teaches control.

Oops, sorry wrong planet. Carry on.

#23 ·
And what does a new Vancouver art gallery cost? What fricken planet are those wack jobs from? Free track days? Would give riders a sense of what is fast and what happens. Maybe instill some respect for speed in our society. Better than finger painting.

#19 ·
Information about rider training and safety gear has significantly increased over what it was 10 years ago. We live in the information age where people research things first online before they get into something.

I can also whip out stats that show increased speed limits reduced crashes in anywhere but BC.

#21 ·
I don't have R or SPSS on this computer to do MANOVA but comparing the linear regression of insured bikes (independent) to either at fault (25% or more to blame; i.e. multiply ratio by the number of accidents) or deaths reveals:

insured bikes to at fault accidents = correlative coefficient (r value) of 0.8

insured bikes to deaths = 0.6 something. (Note that a trend has a value of > 0.975)

What exactly does this mean? Well, ICBC's Motorcycle Month campaigns are not based on objective statistics that is for sure. Statistical significance aside, there is not even an observable trend derivable from their values. Clearly something else is at play (i.e. pay outs proportionally higher for motorcyclists, avoidability of accidents, ease with which the motorcycle community can be targeted etc.)

Anyhow, nice to see some "raw" numbers for a change (rounded values aside). I wonder how much it cost to actually mine all of this data?

#24 ·
That made my brain hurt. Did you just say the that although motorcycle registration has increased the number of fatality variance is meaningless? Or is it possible that a registered motorcyclist has, in fact, no significant increased likelyhood of fatality on a bike at all?

#27 · (Edited)
So by their own statistics motorcycles are not at fault in about 2/3 of multi-vehicle crashes, about 2 people are killed by motorcyclists a year (whether the motorcyclist is at fault is not dissected) and yet the insurance rate for basic insurance, which is all third party liability, are sky high.

I know that ICBC pays out a small amount of money in "no fault" benefits primarily through reducing the cost of visits to physio etc but since it is clear that motorcycles aren't at fault most of the time, and if no one else gets hurt, why the hell does ICBC charge so much? Oh wait, nevermind, it's cause they can get away with it and we have no choice.

I've heard that the biggest component of third party claims for injuries actually comes from passengers who are riding pillion. In the UK it's actually a waiver on some policies and your rates drop significantly if you waive off pillion coverage. Doubt we would see that here, but it's something to think about when you see a girl on the back of an R1 wearing a helmet and t-shirt.

Adele, the BCCOM lobbied ICBC to base insurance rates based on actuarial data a few years back and it is obvious that it needs to be done again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.