BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

What is going on out there?

8K views 57 replies 31 participants last post by  Booby 
#1 ·
Just got off an interview with News 1130 and the toll is up to 4 as someone was just killed in Chilliwack. RIP riders.

The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:07AM PDT
Last Updated Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:13AM PDT

Three motorcyclists have been killed and two injured in two separate crashes on British Columbia roads in just over 24 hours.

A couple from Sexsmith, Alta., died Sunday night in a crash near Dawson Creek, in northeastern B.C.

Dawson Creek RCMP say the 57-year-old man and his 48-year-old female passenger veered into the path of an oncoming Ford F-350 pickup truck towing a livestock trailer.

A second motorcycle skidded out of control and slid to a stop near the wreckage, but police say the man and woman on that bike are expected to recover from their injuries.

And in southeastern B.C., a motorcyclist died early Tuesday morning after losing control of his machine while riding through the City of Nelson.

Both deadly crashes remain under investigation and no names have been released.

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/3-motorcyclists-killed-in-b-c-in-just-over-24-hours-1.1408781#ixzz2bsQwDCFx

See less See more
#3 ·
Highway 1 closed near Chilliwack due to fatal motorcycle crash

By Peter Meiszner Global News

RCMP officers are releasing few details at this time, but confirm one person has been killed in a motorcycle crash. File / Global News
A portion of Highway 1 in Chilliwack is shut down while RCMP officers two separate crashes.

The highway is currently closed at Gibson Road. Traffic is already backed up over one kilometre.

The first crash occurred near Gibson Road. The second, separate crash occurred in the same area and involved a motorcyclist. The motorcyclist has died.

Traffic heading east is being detoured through Prest Road and is expected to be diverted for several hours.

#6 ·
A 2-for-1 -- which was almost a 3-in-1, and a separate unrelated incident. Hardly Province-wide voodoo, just bad luck or questionable circumstance ... no shortage of bad weather, so naturally more riders out.... now what would cause a 57 year old rider to veer into oncoming traffic? Coroner report will be of interest there.

#7 · (Edited)
#9 ·
You've got the ICBC stats, This happens every year; a spike in deaths around this time of the summer.

More riders, more drivers, greasier roads. Divers on mental vacation or rushing. Riders who've got a couple months of riding behind them and are now getting fearless.

Everyone should keep their head on a swivel for the other road users and also remember not to write cheques you can't cash.

#10 ·
crossing line? Two up = lots of weight = hard to correct for late turn-in riding style. Following rider following too close or not watching or aware of arc lead bike taking. Assuming in corner. See this riding style often, usually cruisers - have relaxed geometry and seems easy to ride close at highways speeds. They seem to like to ride in close proximity and ride with style that follows the road, not most efficient or safest thru corners, and they seem to not mind riding at edge, on or over the centerline. It always puzzles me when I see this type of riding style - especially in groups, on highways, with passengers, with inexperienced. Maybe the rider fell asleep. Very unfortunate that any telltale signals couldn't have been or have been a difference.

#13 ·
more like too late to correct for asshole in big truck pulling a trailer crossing the centre line. if you had to place bets, who would you think more likely to cross the line? i'll go with the driver crossing 9 times out of 10. happens to me at least 5 times every time i ride westside rd.

#11 ·
Lots of carnage over here on the Island as well. Reasons spanning from inexperience, to clueless left turners and road rage. Oh and one where they found the body of the rider in a field. No skids. No witnesses. Just a dent in a hydro pole serving the only clue as to what happened.

Not much we can do about the cagers. The riders need to make sure they have the best training and equipment they can afford. Not like the group I saw this morning gassing up at the Chevron. A bunch of newbs duck walking around the pumps, while repeatedly stalling. All lead by a "Road Marshall" on a cruiser.

Take a course people. If you can't afford a proper riding course then you can't afford to ride.

#27 ·
The riders need to make sure they have the best training and equipment they can afford. .

Take a course people. If you can't afford a proper riding course then you can't afford to ride.
Finally someone with the right idea!
But it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg either way.
If the government and people want to put an end to this madness?
Then its time we all did something about it!

I propose that all new riders and riders with current license's pass a competency test on a government funded road course.
Those caught speeding (40 over) have a 30 day grace period to report to said road course for instruction pertaining to handling a motorcycle at high speeds around a corner.
All motorcyclists with the advanced 2 week course are exempt from speed tickets, unless they are involved in an accident where it was deemed speed was a factor, then you get a huge ticket! That is if your still alive.

On a serious note if your still reading this?
A little training goes a long way, but only if you want to learn.

#22 ·
Hopefully not, perhaps the radio staion was just looking to be "pirate radio" for a while

it is disturbing enough that a secret society funded by unknown sources governed by a star chamber is consdiered by the local media to be the spokesperson for all motorcyclists.

#20 ·
Just got off an interview with News 1130 and the toll is up to 4 as someone was just killed in Chilliwack.
.. and this surprises you ? the ICBC statistics prove this out time after time, in the olde days this forum was losing 2 dozen friends and known riders a year. Nothing has changed.

I just read your quote on the 1130 website.

“It’s devastating,” says Edele Tompkins with BC Coalition of Motorcyclists. “This year has been just a horrible year for motorcycle deaths and severe injuries.”

“I really think that drivers, motorcyclists — anybody on the road these days — needs to start paying more attention,” she adds.

Tompkins is now calling for better education. “I would like to see a lot more driver training… when you’re learning to get your Class 5 [licence] and mandatory training for motorcycling would not be a bad thing.

She is urging everyone to be more careful in the final weeks of summer.

In respect for the dead I have refrained from further comment.

#25 ·
more like too late to correct for asshole in big truck pulling a trailer crossing the centre line. if you had to place bets, who would you think more likely to cross the line? i'll go with the driver crossing 9 times out of 10. happens to me at least 5 times every time i ride westside rd.
My money's on an unsafe pass by the bike.

#29 ·
I would do all the training they wanted me to do, plus give up my left nut, girlfriend or child to have a licence that gave me permission to speed :)

but only have my left nut to barter with currently..

#31 ·
Over 50% of my riding is 2up, so I know how little passenger movement is required to endup wide or too sharp in a turn or even cause a swerve in a straight line if you are not prepared for it. I can feel the bike want to drift everytime my pillion raises her arm to wave. I'm used to countering it without issue, but if we were leaned over in a corner in lane position 1 by the yellow line, and she suddenly spotted something interesting on the left side of the road an simultaneously raised her arm to point and turned her head in that direction (a natural reaction), it could easily send the bike over the yellow line. Just for fun, add a right to left crosswind into the equation.

My pillion is very good about minimizing her movements, we've done over 100,000kms together, but sometimes she "forgets", and if she "forgot" at the critical moment, it could be bad.

#46 ·
When we decided to start riding in Europe and decided to ride two up , we realized that we had zero , nada, two up skills. It took a while but we found a two up course in CA and rode down for the class. Money well spent, besdes when the class was over we got to ride for almost an hour on the track with Walt Fulton and one of his instructors.

Amazing how good these guys are

#33 ·
A 72-year-old Pitt Meadows man is dead after a Tuesday morning motorcycle accident on Highway No. 1.

RCMP were called out to a single vehicle accident at the Annis Road overpass, where the truck loaded with salmon had gone off the road and rolled.

The two people inside, an adult man and woman, both First Nations, got out and ran away.

While police looked for them, eastbound traffic backed up two kilometres toward Chilliwack. The man on the motorbike, a 2006 Suzuki, slammed on the brakes when he saw the stopped traffic. But he lost control, fell off and slid at high speed into a Ford SUV.

He died at the scene.

Highway No. 1 was closed down for quite some time as investigators did their job.

At this point, weather and road conditions have been ruled out as causes of the accident, leaving traffic conditions, speed, mechanical defects and driver inattention as possible culprits.

As of 2:30 p.m., the man and woman from the first accident hadn't been found.

Anyone who witnessed either accident and hasn't spoken to police is asked to call Cst. Peter Ostrom at 604-702-4039.

#35 ·
The man on the motorbike, a 2006 Suzuki, slammed on the brakes when he saw the stopped traffic. But he lost control, fell off and slid at high speed into a Ford SUV.

Rider error?

I'm a firm believer that a really bad accident is caused when a whole bunch of small things combined, follow a certain set of events.

My condolences to the family and friends of the rider, may he rest in peace.
Being native isn't a crime, even if things do go wrong, running from the scene instead of doing the right thing and trying to get things sorted out, is!

#52 ·
Truck tires need to be re-torqued after a tire change @ 150 kms from the repair.
I'm guessing the other guy didn't do it cause he was too busy.
The rider is very lucky.

#53 ·
What makes truck tires any different than car tires? Every time I change them, and I check them ~100km later... nothing ever shifts. Torque values are all the same. Excessive vibration from the heavier machinery maybe? I would have thought a higher torque spec would account for that.

Pls explain.

With regards to the motorcyclists' incidents lately... this week in particular, I have seen SO MANY people riding with zero gear and evident lack of control. Main and Terminal in Vancouver... seems like about 4 times the riders on the road this week, and all the ones coming out of the woodwork forgot their gear and skills.

Stay safe everybody.

#54 ·
What makes truck tires any different than car tires? Every time I change them, and I check them ~100km later... nothing ever shifts. Torque values are all the same. Excessive vibration from the heavier machinery maybe? I would have thought a higher torque spec would account for that.

Pls explain.

You would be surprised how many times I have had a not up to spec torque on a truck wheel after having work done!
The biggest cause is the weight the vehicle is carrying, your car or average pickup weighs say 3000 to 4000 pounds.
My truck fully loaded, weighs 137,000 pounds.
Now combine that weight on aluminum rims, even at 500 lbs. torque, the nuts still will loosen from the wheel turning, that is why they have to be re-torqued.
Once re-torqued, they are on there for good.

It is law that the wheel be re-torqued within 150 kms., a person that does not follow the law is liable.... and that fine isn't easy to swallow, worse if you kill someone.

#55 ·
Ah, I see. The numbers help put things in a bit more perspective, and I hadn't thought the aluminium rim distortion would be such a big factor. Stands to reason there's only so much torque you can put on a lug nut before the stud shears... which isn't quite sufficient to be sure of not backing off on initial application.

Cool thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.