SUV Advice - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV Advice

Fookin Prawn Array
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    Because this is a HUGE feature that most all soccer moms demand! LOL
    After the off-road experience using their RRs one of the instructors asked me if I'll be doing some serious off roading with mine now...I said wtf for, nope. Sure it's capable, but why on earth would you want to? I don't think anyone actually buys an RR with the intention of doing some serious off-roading all day. Land Rover has a model for that, it's called the Defender. Land Rovers have been in my family for more than 20 years and I love them...but you gotta use the right model for the job. Same way a Defender as a daily driver would suck balls.

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyF View Post
    After the off-road experience using their RRs one of the instructors asked me if I'll be doing some serious off roading with mine now...I said wtf for, nope. Sure it's capable, but why on earth would you want to? I don't think anyone actually buys an RR with the intention of doing some serious off-roading all day. Land Rover has a model for that, it's called the Defender. Land Rovers have been in my family for more than 20 years and I love them...but you gotta use the right model for the job. Same way a Defender as a daily driver would suck balls.
    Half the people with luxury SUV's in this city can barely navigate the parking lot of T&T Supermarket, much less worry about "off road". LMAO.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Fookin Prawn Array
    Half the people with luxury SUV's in this city can barely navigate the parking lot of T&T Supermarket, much less worry about "off road". LMAO.
    Ya...this is how I park every day.

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyF View Post
    Ya...this is how I park every day.

I drove Land Rovers in impossible conditions in the 60's and 70's in the British army that no other army's vehicles even came close to emulating. Even the much-vaunted Jeeps paled in comparison.
    Fast forward to the mid-1990's when I was the Service Manager at Land Rover Richmond. Again, after being trained on and driving the newest RR's and Defenders at Land Rover's test facility in Ontario, their off-road performance has to be experienced to be believed.
    However, there was a reason why BMW (who owned Land Rover at the time) called them "The English Patient".

license to chill Array frontside5's Avatar
    Bike
    R6, F4 stunter
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
    However, there was a reason why BMW (who owned Land Rover at the time) called them "The English Patient".
    I looked at a Rover a while back and thought maybe I could manage it's "quirkiness" but you eventually reach the point where the stories you read are just too horrific. My takeaway: if it carries fluid it will leak.

I didn't look at the Discovery but nonetheless: http://landroverhell.com/

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton
    You go across the border into WA, and seems every 4th car in a Subaru, there's everywhere! Not so much here.
    Something dependable to transport all that PNW weed
    Buying something on Amazon, use my affiliate links to support my motorcycle racing. Every little bit counts. WMRC 250 Class FTW - #702, MUCHO GRACIAS!

WTB: PW50 Bike for my kids

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    I drove Land Rovers in impossible conditions in the 60's and 70's in the British army that no other army's vehicles even came close to emulating. Even the much-vaunted Jeeps paled in comparison.
    Fast forward to the mid-1990's when I was the Service Manager at Land Rover Richmond. Again, after being trained on and driving the newest RR's and Defenders at Land Rover's test facility in Ontario, their off-road performance has to be experienced to be believed.
    what about Gwagen (proper one) and Unimog?

"Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

West Koots, I'm here.... Array flyfishinwoman's Avatar
    Bike
    a few toys
    You go across the border into WA, and seems every 4th car in a Subaru, there's everywhere! Not so much here.
    Maybe not in the LM, but in the Nelson area they are very numerous, one of the favourite vehicles. I did see a lot of Subaru's on my trip to Spokane recently.
    Back in BC, yay!!!
    2010 Yamaha Vstar 950
    250 Saga Dual-sport
    AC quad
    BCSB #712
    WMRC #747 (2005)

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2005 Yamaha R6
    Yep....have a look at the all-new 2014 Subaru Forester. They start at $25,995 for the base with 2.5 litre motor 6-speed manual trans. The CVT model has the new X-mode which gives superior hill-climbing and descent control. This car made the competition look pathetic at a hill climb and descent demonstration that I attended in Phoenix earlier this year.
    Thought about this one but again the interior for Subaru is boring to me. Also I have sat in one for the past 6 years and know that they are great car until they break :/

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by SChemist View Post
    Thought about this one but again the interior for Subaru is boring to me. Also I have sat in one for the past 6 years and know that they are great car until they break :/
    Ya, was seriously going to buy one 3 years ago, but the interiors were truly dated, cheap, and spartan. Hard plastics, strange colours.....maybe better now?
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by frontside5 View Post
    I looked at a Rover a while back and thought maybe I could manage it's "quirkiness" but you eventually reach the point where the stories you read are just too horrific. My takeaway: if it carries fluid it will leak.

They are an "interesting" brand but I could never bring myself to buy one. The Defenders are extremely cool but too pricey for what you get, in my eyes.

Like the classic Jaguars, they have very attractive styling. But as for the newer vehicles in the RR line up? Anything that depreciates faster than used chewing gum is nothing I could ever see myself spending money on. May as well buy a brand new 7-Series BMW as well in order to show the world your investment intelligence.
    Last edited by Sikorsky; 11-14-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any agency.

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by frontside5 View Post

The Discovery was a dreadful vehicle. BMW instituted "Operation Pride" to rectify many of the basic issues with the vehicle which improved it somewhat, but it was a band aid effort at best. When driving it, you always felt like it should have a rudder, not a steering wheel. Not kidding about that.

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Quote Originally Posted by SChemist View Post
    As I've mentioned in other topics, I agree with you that the interiors of Subaru's were badly in need of a revision. They went for the "bland, Teutonic" look for too many years. Subaru has revised several models' interiors with more soft touch materials and more user-friendly designs. The new 2014 Forester is a great step in the right direction, imo. I'm driving one now and I like it a lot. It's a bit of a choppy ride after the Legacy, but it's nimble and very, very easy to drive.
    What broke on the one you sat in for 6 years?

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Because this is a HUGE feature that most all soccer moms demand! LOL
    Yeah, and I live in Richmond. You can yuck it up even more at so many levels.

Bike
    2015 FZ07
    Ya, was seriously going to buy one 3 years ago, but the interiors were truly dated, cheap, and spartan. Hard plastics, strange colours.....maybe better now?
    See my response to SChemist above.....In my opinion, the interiors are much better now. Subaru overreacted to the complaints about the "futuristic" interior of the SVX (which I loved...) and went in the opposite direction. Subaru's interiors were as good as anything Honda, Toyota and Nissan had in the mid-90's, but went spartan around 2000. I'm getting a Tribeca next, which is really quite a nice vehicle, both inside and out. Killer deals on Tribeca's right now, btw.