Picked up my custom plugs today
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my custom plugs today

Bike
    04 SV650

Picked up my custom plugs today

After 3 weeks of wait for them to be made, I went today to pick them up. I ordered them from Hearsmart Solutions during the bike show. Hearing that some people had problems with them when they put helmet on (being pushed in due to the helmet) I asked them to be as low profile as possible, and they wrote it down and said no worries.

Having never owned ones before, i was curious to see how this would work out. Went in today and brought my helmet with me to try it all out. Lady that works these showed me how to properly insert them, and I tried several times just so that i know what I am doing. They were very snug and a perfect fit. Felt a bit strange at 1st, but after few minutes they felt good. Put the helmet on, wore for few minutes, moved my head and jaw around, and no movement of any sort with plugs. They stayed in place and blocked sound the same way.

Came home, put them in and just did my work while they were in for about 10-15 min. All good, no pain, comfortable all the time. Will take about 10 times of using them for ears to completely get used to them from what they said, but so far, better then I thought it would be. $80 well spent.

Anyone else picked theirs up (got them shipped)? Thoughts or impressions so far?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array MrDsylexia's Avatar
    Bike
    89 GPZ1000 RX
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    Anyone else picked theirs up (got them shipped)? Thoughts or impressions so far?
    Much want. I was going to pick up a set but I blew the money I set aside for plugs on the pre bike show ride and lunch and so on... derp.

Will probably go on in sometime in the near future and get a set since I rather like being able to hear things.

Ridin hard n dirty Array Mr.Sushi ya ha's Avatar
    Bike
    bunch "o" bikes
    Never thought of asking for low profile ones?? Used to get them every year through work but never liked them. Found them too hard and the pressure of the foam pushing them deeper into my ears ended up hurting after a while...Also didnt like the "clicking" when I moved my jaw...In the end I bought a box of foam ear plugs for my work and riding...My trick is to cut them in half so they dont stick out of my ear so much.
    Remembering Bill Mclean.
    Having had a colonoscopy......I have now seen where the sun don't shine......(Me)
    Cancer Sucks!!!

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    yeah i'm sticking with foamys for now, i've got enough of the damn things stocked up...
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Registered User Array crazyshannon's Avatar
    Bike
    04 R1, 11 FE570, 92 EX250, 98 YZ125, 07 TM85, 05 VStrom 1000
    i admire people like you. i cant get through a ride without losing at least one earplug, i usually lose a couple pairs.

Bike
    2009 buell xb12Ss
    i have them. i love them they work great for me as foam plugs give me a headache from the pressure in my ears and Hearsmart is one of the hells gate candy run sponsors
    The cost of living has now gotten so bad that my wife is having sex with me because she can't afford batteries!

Bike
    ummm
    I admire anyone who wants to protect their ears. My early years on a dirt bike and street bike didn't include ear protection, and tinnitus is now my constant "should have".

Couple buddies have the custom made ear plugs, who lost weight, and now they are too loose, so,,,,,don't lose weight.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    I had them make me a custom set with dual drivers in them. Worked with them a lot on how to improve their design to suit a full face helmet. They were very receptive, and we changed their design to have the speaker wire exit the bottom of the plug, tie a knot in the cable inside the mold, and shrink wrap the wires down to the wire.

Highly recommend. Much better noise protection than my custom protect ear ones, and better fidelity
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyshannon View Post
    i admire people like you. i cant get through a ride without losing at least one earplug, i usually lose a couple pairs.
    lol, I never said I didn't lose any, usually take two sets with me,

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Absolute waste of money. You will misplace them, I guarantee you that.

You can get bags full of them at safety supply stores for dirt cheap... and my experience is the foam ones are best. If you want to listen to music, that's not gonna work... but listening to tunes while cruising around is lame if you ask me.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post

You can get bags full of them at safety supply stores for dirt cheap... and my experience is the foam ones are best. If you want to listen to music, that's not gonna work... but listening to tunes while cruising around is lame if you ask me.

Yeah,,,,gotta agree. Not my money so whatever.

Got a box of 200 Howard Leight Laser Lite. 32 db reduction @ 2500htz.

Bike
    04 SV650
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post

Tried plenty of foam ones, didnt work. My ear canals are small and no matter what I tired it didnt work. So far I havent lost any of the silicone ones I used before, so I will take my chances with these ones. At least I know they fit properly and will do their job. If i lose them, so be it. I'll get a new pair. I would rather pay for something that fits and wear it all the time, then pay for crap that doesnt work for me and not use it. We pay a lot of money for the rest of riding gear that fits and protects us well, why not this? And if the foamie ones work for you, awesome. You saved more money then me and can use it on something else.

And before someone post videos on how to use and insert foam ones, dont bother. I have seen them all and tried every way. They just dont work for me, and I know I am not the only one. Plenty of others have said the same thing. Unfortunately it was either spend $80 on something that works and protects my hearing, or spend $5 on box of foam plugs that will sit unused in the cupboard. To me choice was clear.
    Last edited by cvrle1; 02-14-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Bike
    RSV4
    i got the hearsmart with dual drivers .. they came to my house for the fitting
    mucho good .. just waiting for them to be shipped

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    Tried plenty of foam ones, didnt work. My ear canals are small and no matter what I tired it didnt work. So far I havent lost any of the silicone ones I used before, so I will take my chances with these ones. At least I know they fit properly and will do their job. If i lose them, so be it. I'll get a new pair. I would rather pay for something that fits and wear it all the time, then pay for crap that doesnt work for me and not use it. We pay a lot of money for the rest of riding gear that fits and protects us well, why not this? And if the foamie ones work for you, awesome. You saved more money then me and can use it on something else.

And before someone post videos on how to use and insert foam ones, dont bother. I have seen them all and tried every way. They just dont work for me, and I know I am not the only one. Plenty of others have said the same thing. Unfortunately it was either spend $80 on something that works and protects my hearing, or spend $5 on box of foam plugs that will sit unused in the cupboard. To me choice was clear.
    My wife has the little foamys for sleeping, they are like kid sized. I have those silicone injected ones like you guys just got, low profile for inside the lid. But...they don't last long, till they fail. I got a year out of the last ones. Then they start to get firm and lose flexibility. You open your mouth or your helmet pushes on your ear and you can hear everything again.

I too found the big plugs started to hurt my ears after 4 hrs, foam pressing outward inside your ears. So I tried the wifes smaller ear plugs. They are a smaller diameter so they don't have to expand very far to seal up the hole, less pressure. They work good.

I know there are a ton of douchebags out there, for some reason think it's 'cool' to go deaf, you're an idiot and you'll look like a retarded idiot when you're going WHAT.....WHAT.....and everyone is wonder who the asshole is yelling WHAT all the time.

Listening to music on a bike is still one of my pet peeves. I love music, in the car, cause I can still hear sirens, what's going on etc. I find you need the ear buds up so fucking loud to drowned the wind noise you just go even more deaf, and you now cant hear anything BUT MUSIC. Not for me. I wanna hear the bike, hear the hazzards and I want to focus on my attention on RIDING (new concept for BCSBers I know).
    Everyone I've ridden with who had music, was slow and dangerous. You pull up to talk directions or point out a hazzard and get the 'one sec' as they fumble looking for the mute button. Idiots.

Bike
    04 SV650
    To each their own, but I will never listen to music while riding. Too distracting at times and as you said i would rather hear what is going on around me and focus on riding then listening to music. Only time phone is out is if I need a quick GPS check, and back in the jacket it goes. Not sure whoch custom ones you got but Hearsmart has 3 year warranty, so if they start going stiff like you said, they will replace them (hoping I wont have to try that out)

Per their website: 3-Year Earmold Manufacturer Warranty: We will repair or remake an earmold within 3 years at no additional charge if it breaks due to manufacturing defects, or material failure. The following are not covered under the 3-Year Earmold Manufacturer Warranty: Style changes, colour changes, lost Earmolds, fit issues, cords or anchors, and cables.

i would say what you mentioned could be considered material failure. But again I am hoping I wont need to see if they honor their warranty.