BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

23/04/2014 knowlegeable Opinion Wanted...1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200sv

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Max 
#1 ·
IF you have good knowledge regarding this bike would you please give a brief review.

Is a bike that old, though seemingly in nice condition with 24000 miles, worth investing over $3000 in.

Thanks, Frank

#6 ·
I had a 600 Bandit, co worker had the 1200..Loved my 600...for brisk street rides up to Kamloops it was comfortable and handled very well. I ran nice sticky race take offs...when we traded I noticed a bit of weight especially at slow speeds the 1200 wanted to fall into the turn...as far as power it felt deceivingly slow compared to the 600 until you looked at the speedo..since the 600 had more of a hit once it came on the pipe it felt like there was more power where the 1200 just got going from a lower rpm and there wasnt as much of a hit, just more electric...They are good bikes...nice position for long rides...after having a FZ1, R6, SV, and ridden many many other bikes I think that was one of my favorites..Not once did I hesitate to jump on it and do the duffy...when I had the sport bikes I always knew after 3-4 hours my wrists would get sore and my back would not be happy...

I did do a few mods on it...Pipe, airbox, different bars, flush mount LED signals, Tires...

#9 ·
Well jeepers ... people spend over a hundred thousand bucks on cars that are 45 or 50 yrs old ...

Of course, a Bandit of that vintage has no real collector's value, so three grand is prolly a but high for true 'market value'. More like (wild guess) maybe $1900. to $2400., depending ... ???

#10 ·
Did a looksy on Craigslist to get an idea of what things are selling for.. $3k seems to be in the right range for Craigslist. However it seems most of the bandits are being listed higher than their suggested value so be wary

Here's a 2002 1200 bandit in good condition listed for $4000 (way overpriced IMO since they sold brand new in 2002 for $8500)
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/mcy/4421527150.html

But then I checked Kelly's Black Book for Motorcycles (great resource for getting an idea of values). You have to allow for the fact that everything is cheaper in the US and also the factor of CAD right now.. But it seems the 1998 1200 bandit would be about $2500 in 'excellent' condition

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/suzuki/gsf1200s-bandit-1200/1998-suzuki-gsf1200s-bandit-1200/suggestedretailvalue/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.