BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

2014 Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club racing season

13K views 74 replies 24 participants last post by  Jaybo 
#1 · (Edited)
The 2014 Racing season starts next weekend! Make a trip out to check out the action!
If you have any interested in helping, we're always looking for volunteers to work in the corners.
For more information check out our website www.WMRC.CA

Want to see what our track is like? bring your bike and ride it in some racer controlled laps duing the lunch break on our Taste of Racing program! http://www.wmrc.ca/2013-taste-of-racing

Licensed racers go here to register: https://trackintel.com/ti/wmrc

Lets go racing!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
all shown "motorcycle racing" ones will work. the difference between the three is -flex is a leased transponder, classic is a portable purchased transponder and the dp is exactly that, a hardwired transponder.

Blair at SV Racing parts also has one for sale
also have one and one only Extra of the AMB MyLaps New Rechargeable Systems Available. Email me Directly at info@svracingparts.com Complete with both AC and Auto Charger, Holster and ready to go New Series AMB MyLaps, good for anything and anywhere you want to use it on AMB

Everyday carry Technology Tool Electronic device Camera

#6 · (Edited)
Here's our WCC schedule for the first two rounds.
View attachment 2014 RACEDAY SCHEDULE NEWEST (2).pdf

A call for vounteers for the 2014 WMRC race season
http://www.wmrc.ca/volunteer

If you have any interest in corner working this year please read this. It's not required to ask if we need help -We always need help!

I'm hoping to get an early start at rounding up some people who might be interested in coming out to do some corner marshalling during our 2014 race dates!

The first 2 race rounds will be held on May 10/11 and these rounds will also be the first rounds of the Western Canadian Championship. We can always use as many volunteers as possible to help make the weekend a success -rain or shine.
We will be providing all the information and instruction necessary and we'll also be providing lunch, as well as water and snacks in all corners to help keep everyone hydrated and as comfortable as possible throughout the day.

Please feel free to contact me through a PM if you have any questions or require any additional information.

I hope to see as many of you come out and enjoy the best seats in the house and assist in helping make a great weekend of WMRC racing possible!

Some notes and extra information:

Please DO NOT wear any RED, YELLOW OR GREEN clothing as it can be a distraction when you are in the corners.
The orientation meeting starts promptly at 8:00 AM at the tech area.
I'd recommend wearing a long sleeve shirt, bring a hat, a pair of work gloves and maybe bring bug spray in case the mosquitoes are out.
Please, NO SHORTS, SANDALS, OR FLIP FLOPS! If you have to run and pick up a freshly crashed bike they have a tendancy to be hot and can leave nasty burns/scars

#9 ·
Debbie! We miss you too.!!
I might just have to go race at Castrol for WCC since you'll be there!
My friend and racing sponsor Patrik from OPP Racing is thinking about riding at Castrol. If it happens we would have room to haul a bunch of bikes plus a few riders....stay tuned.

#8 ·
Thanks Deb, you've help lots. I'd say you did a great job helping me, but I don't remember.:hopmad

#12 ·
Hi everyone thanks for such a great weekend. Please note there will be no general meeting tonight. The next meeting will be on June 9th

#13 ·
Reminder we will be having our WMRC General Meeting at 7pm on June 9th at the Ricky's in Walnut Grove.
Everybody welcome.

Map Line Intersection Text Infrastructure

#15 ·
We will be having our WMRC General Meeting at 7pm on July 14th at the Ricky's in Walnut Grove.
Everybody is welcome.

and for your enjoyment, one my latest offroading adventures

#16 ·
The online WMRC registration is open. Please go and Pre-register for the next rounds, as this will save us all a lot of time in the morning.

https://trackintel.com/ti/wmrc

The WMRC is also proud to host at lunch on Sunday, July 27th Bernie Ryan's Track Walk for the children of the BC Children's Hospital. All Kids and parents are welcome to attend a special walk around the track hosted by Bernie Ryan. Bernie will telling some of his thrilling racing stories and giving his keen insights into the intricacies of racing at Mission Raceway. You will also be on track as the club's #1 plate holder Spero Benias rides by. The pits are always open for the kids to come and see the racers and their bikes.
https://www.facebook.com/events/315461111953648/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

#18 ·
We try to do both, but I think the track walk wins. Kids with cancer are way more important to take care of. Please come on Saturday for the full taste of racing.

I will say though, that the track walk is VERY cool! Everyone who goes on it, raves about it. Seriously.

#19 ·
For anyone thinking of coming out to be a Corner Marshal by all means please come out and do it! You don't have to have previous experience and get to wave flags, communicate on the radio, possibly pick up crashed bikes and have all the racers' sincere gratitude. There simply wouldn't be any racing or trackdays without Corner Marshals!

I learned so much when I Corner Marshaled watching all the different riding styles, lines through corners, downshifting techniques, getting back on the throttle out of corners, etc from so close to the track.

#21 ·
IT'S RACEDAY!!

If anyone wants to come out to Corner Marshal for the just the afternoon today that would help out a lot. Just tell the gate attendant you are going to be Corner Marshaling so the $10 admission is waved then go find Pam Black the Corner Marshal Coordinator to get set up.

#22 ·
We made it through another race weekend! It’s important that we take a moment to thank everyone who travelled near and far for attending another great Westwood Motorcycle Racing Club event. Everything went quite well -even the weather cooperated!

First and foremost putting on these weekends is a lot of work and we can’t thank enough the volunteers that came out to help us race. We were very lucky to get just enough people to put on this event; These people took time out of their days to brave the hot sun to help us race. We couldn’t have done this event without the help of people like Pam, Sharon, Jacalyn, Nathan, Ron, Austin, Jayson, Andrew, Joseph, John & Keith. They really deserve a big thank you from every single racer! We always need more help -if you know someone that can help please bring them out.

We are very lucky to have had to an excellent announcing team in Ted Shannon (from the tower) and Paul Ludwig (from the track side). These guys really know their stuff and it shows.

At lunch on Sunday the selfless Bernie Ryan completed his always enjoyable track walk which of course was a huge hit with the kids.

The racing action right from the novice class up to the Formula Ultra class was tight and intense, yet safe, with only minimal incidents and delays. The always popular Mark “Kramer” Kruger came out to race with us again and he, Jay Tait, & Dave Vu showed everyone just how fast a 250 Gold Cup bike can really go. Spero Benias, Dean Drolet, James Nadonly and Scott Borthwick all had great rides as well and topped their races.

Also of note was Kyle De Viet graduating from novice to graduated novice, Jeff Pinkster graduating to expert and Quentin Cyre, a new expert racer who had a great weekend and posted some very impressive times.

We'd also like to thank the new racers who came out to race with us this past weekend. The club can't grow without new racers joining the ranks and it was great to see some new faces!

The final rounds of the 2014 WMRC season will be held on September 27th & 28th. As an extra incentive to come and race, double points will be awarded for these rounds. Once again we STRONGLY encourage everyone to use the new system and pre-register as this will help things move more quickly in the morning.

We hope to see all of you there!

On a more personal note. I had an awesome weekend learning my new bike. 250 racing is everything they always said it was. Slow and filled with shit eating grins and giggles.

#23 ·
Could only make it our for part of Saturday but had a great time none-the-less. Tower & field announcer(s) system worked well. The instant interview of the two riders who crashed in turn one added greatly to the spectator experience (both riders were most diplomatic about not placing blame). Taste of racing was a blast. Thanks to the truck crew that came out on their lunch break to p/u the bike and rider who low sided on turn 3. I noticed later that one of the rider crews was busy fixing his bike so it would be ride-able to go home. Class act all around. All and all the day at the track is a real bargain. Attendance on Saturday was low, maybe everyone was waiting for Sunday for the track walk?

Come out for the races. Try taste of racing. Take the Mission back roads home., I can't see any rider being disappointed with a day like that!

#24 ·
Thanks for coming out! Is there anything that could've made your experience any more enjoyable?

#29 ·
Can-Z said:
Jason , Welcome to the 250 fun! The salute wasn't for me? GMR should be fun on the 24th ! See ya then!
No, not for you Doug. Not.. yet. :laughing

See you guys at GMR!

Things I learned, by J.Hanson.
Second gear? We don't need no second gear.
I haven't owned a Kawasaki in something like 6 years, apparently they use (or at least the 250 does) a thing called a positive neutral finder. What this means that after you change the gearing after midnight no matter what you do while the bike is on the stand you can't make the bike shift into second, in fact it'll seem like the fucking thing is broken. When this happens, resist the urge to burn everything down around you.. it's normal. Have a beer and go to sleep.

Welcome to Carbville.
There's always perils when buying a used bike. More so when it's used race bike. Even more so when you just bought it and you need to use it the next week and like the most intelligent of us, you bought it sight unseen. Like leaky fork seals, meh. Now, I tend to do things backwards. I took it apart and then tried to see if it would run. I mean I fired it up for about ten seconds before I loaded it in the truck in Auburn, Wa. sure.. But Then I took it home and took it apart. Now like a smrt individual I also did fire it up a bit and ran it up and down the street before loading it to take to the track.. but here's where it gets sticky. I've got my helmet on & i'm ready to go first sesssion of the day at the WCSS day on friday, the bike is warm and idling. oh..what's this? It's just died. And won't restart. When it's restarts it won't take the throttle. The thing has been sitting for who knows how long and the gas isn't as good as it used to be and the carbs aren't happy, great -lets take it apart again and fuck with it until it runs right again. Thank you jeebus it learned who's boss and got over this shit without making me take the carbs apart in the paddock.

Make changes.
I normally move slow on suspension changes. I pretty much assume the limiting factor is the rider not the bike or it's equipment. The first sesssion I only got a few laps but I was like damn, this front end feels funny and i'm running wide wfo. I felt like I was getting groceries out there. Me, I need to have a good feel for what the front is doing to go fast, and I didn't feel it. I was scratching my head turning in circles when a friend who knows more than I ever will, came by and said drop the front a whole 10mm. I've done a similar change like this on every bike i've owned. but, I'm like nah, i'll figure it out.. and mostly lazy. I don't want to take it apart again. He's says do it. So we did it. I also took the those highrise clip-ons and dropped them low as well. Guess what. it turned and it felt like a race bike. so.. what's the point in learning something that doesn't feel right anyways, only to change it later.. no point. make changes.

Going slow, never feels fast.
I knew the 250 was going to be slow. But good grief, there really is no power. This was also highlighted by my first race where I started from Pole against 600cc bikes. From first place to last by turn 1. Oh, the shame. This bike is slow, no arguement. You can't ride it point and shoot. You might as well take the front brake off because you don't wan't to use it, at all. it's not a 250 GP bike -but you might as well ride it like that.. high corner speeds, making a good rhythm as it's the only way. By the end of the weekend I was zooming around the outside of riders in turn 2, doing it the hard way and making it work.

That was Mission. Up next is GMR and it's going to be whole other learning experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.