600cc Sportbike Opinions
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 600cc Sportbike Opinions

Bike
    CBR600RR

600cc Sportbike Opinions

I'd like some opinion on 600cc sportbikes...

Of particular interest are which model years from the manufacturers to be avoided, and why.

Thanks,
    Ban-dee-doh.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array 125cbr rider's Avatar
    Bike
    2014 Honda CB500X
    all of them for me! nothing but bad news, tickets, losing license. I recommend a supermoto or a drz. close to 3 years clean of any incidents with the law. 10x times funner in the twisties.

Bike
    CBR600F4
    GSXR ~02 have shitty transmissions as I found out.

Bike
    Demon
    Budget would be helpful.
    2017 ZX-10RR Killer
    2008 FJR 1300 Bruiser
    Numerous sportbikes: ZX-10Rs, Ninja 1000, VFR, CBR, etc
    1984 XLR 350R

Quote Originally Posted by LCPeter View Post
    stopping for anyone [is] strictly optional
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    super amped up about semi-naked jello wrestling with...

Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    I'd like some opinion on 600cc sportbikes...

Of particular interest are which model years from the manufacturers to be avoided, and why.

Thanks,
    Ban-dee-doh.
    What for you need this info?
    Are you looking or is it for a friend?

If you want reliability I would probably go with Yamaha and Honda in that order.
    http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...kes/11311.html
    Infidels Rule!

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Buy an '05 GSXR1000, slap a real damper on it, a double bubble windscreen, get Marbod to bounce on it, some sticky ass rubber and you're tight.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Fookin Prawn Array
    The 09 R6 I had was pretty good, bought it for 6 sold it for 7 with 13,000 km on it. Everyone was concerned about the ergos, well my old and withered friends anyway. It was comfier than the Panigale.

Registered User Array MrDsylexia's Avatar
    Bike
    89 GPZ1000 RX
    Stay as far the fuck away from the GSX-R 600 & 750 from 2006/2007 as possible.

Suzuki put their rectifier behind the radiator and against the motor and above the headers. They burn out unless they're relocated, and even if they are, they can still fry (buddies mosfet rectifier, placed in the tail just went). The stator also likes to go at the same time as the rectifier, and will usually toast your battery, frying your ECU if it feels like it.

The Exhaust valve also can seize up if you put on any real KM's or the servo motor can die, throwing an FI code and making throttle response choppy and engine braking harsh with little to no transition (think of it like someone pressing the front brake).

There are also some documented cases where the rectifier becomes a Recti-FIRE and you get a cool flame shooting up from below the gas tank.

I also find it the most uncomfortable supersport I've sat on. This is both with OEM and corbin seats.

* ABOVE PIC IS NOT MY BIKE.

Bike
    CBR600F4
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDsylexia View Post
    Stay as far the fuck away from the GSX-R 600 & 750 from 2006/2007 as possible.

Suzuki put their rectifier behind the radiator and against the motor and above the headers. They burn out unless they're relocated, and even if they are, they can still fry (buddies mosfet rectifier, placed in the tail just went). The stator also likes to go at the same time as the rectifier, and will usually toast your battery, frying your ECU if it feels like it.

The Exhaust valve also can seize up if you put on any real KM's or the servo motor can die, throwing an FI code and making throttle response choppy and engine braking harsh with little to no transition (think of it like someone pressing the front brake).

There are also some documented cases where the rectifier becomes a Recti-FIRE and you get a cool flame shooting up from below the gas tank.

I also find it the most uncomfortable supersport I've sat on. This is both with OEM and corbin seats.

* ABOVE PIC IS NOT MY BIKE.
    I rode a 750 for about 600km straight and my knees were sore for 2 weeks. Never riding a gsxr again.

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I rode a 750 for about 600km straight and my knees were sore for 2 weeks. Never riding a gsxr again.
    pffft - rookie.

i once rode an rc51 for 1100kms straight and went to the gym the next day and squatted 400lbs.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Registered User Array MrDsylexia's Avatar
    Bike
    89 GPZ1000 RX
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I've done the duffey loop as well as several multi-hundred km trips. Though I wasn't sore the next day, I did wish I was on a v-strom within the first 75km.

Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    pffft - rookie.

i once rode an rc51 for 1100kms straight and went to the gym the next day and squatted 400lbs.
    PFFFFFT - NOOOOOOB!

I once rode 10 hours on a Ninja 250 and stayed home and did squat the next day

Fookin Prawn Array
    pffft - rookie.

He is a rookie.

Bike
    N/A
    pffft - rookie.

Yup me too...but it was 405lbs.

Bike
    Honda
    Thanks dyslexia for that info. I was seriously considering a gsxr 750. I have heard of electrical issues on the gsxr but never thought they were that bad. A buddy of mine has his rectifier on the side of his fairings but I haven't heard him complain of a failure yet.

Bike
    Latest and greatest Suzuki GSX-R 600
    To be clear the regulator/rectifier on the GSX-R is a recall, not because of where it's mounted, but because of the regulator/rectifier manufacturer had made a design flaw. It also affects other Suzuki models that are included in the recall. If the regulator/rectifier does fail the battery will drain but ECU will be safe. According to the recall "regulator/rectifiers built between July '07 and Sept '09 have an inadequate amount of adhesion between the power module and the case, which results in unit not being sufficiently cooled by it's heat sink"

I never had a regulator/rectifier problem on my '08 GSX-R and the recall wasn't announced while I owned it. Since the recall came out in 2011 most bikes should already be done.

There's also a couple problems with certain years of the R6. One is the oil sending unit that causes oil starvation ending with a blown motor. I'm not sure if there's a recall but I know that's why those model years of R6 racebikes usually have a supersport built motor. The other problem is that if the bike goes down the fuel tank is vulnerable to rupturing resulting in a fire - they make tank protectors to avoid this.

As for how comfortable any sportbike is or isn't... It is fricken crazy how many riders I see at trackdays that have never adjusted footpegs, shifters, levers, clipons, ride height, sag, etc from stock positions to fit them properly and suit their riding style.

I once had the opportunity to start racing either on a CBR 600RR, R6, GSX-R 600 or ZX-6. For me the both the 600RR and R6 felt like I was riding more on the bike rather than in it. I eventually went with the GSX-R rather than the ZX-6 simply because it was narrower around the fuel tank and made for a better riding position for me. At the time another racer had gone with the ZX-6 and I kept winning our battles on the racetrack... just sayin'!

I have owned & raced a 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, and currently a 2011 GSX-R 600 as well as a 1997 GSX-R 750.
    I also raced an R6 and CBR F4i in endurance races (6-8hrs). I also owned a few CBR's before I started racing and ridden almost every other make, model and size sportbike on the track. I think the only sportbikes I haven't ridden yet are the RC-8 and the Desmosedici.