BCTF strike / lockout - again
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 16 ... LastLast

Thread: BCTF strike / lockout - again

This space for rent Array Stiffler's Mom's Avatar
    Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6

BCTF strike / lockout - again

Because of all the recent headlines, I am recycling the 2014 version of a long standing labor dispute between gov and teachers.

Last week my wife, a teacher, took her class to the PNE (some organized science curriculum), a track meet, and Fun Day (what we used to call Sports Day). Aside from the sadness that I feel Sports Day is now Fun Day to appease the parents of fat kids, I also feel a bit conflicted that they claim to need more instructional time. I like the idea of her getting paid more to teach fewer kids but I also cheered a but when I learned of the lockout response to phase 2 strike action.

This needs a mediator, like Reddy. Election and gov change will solve nothing as teachers hope it will.
    - Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!!

Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    A good start would be for the government to accept the court ruling (several of them) and stop the appeals.

They lost the case(s) accept it an move on.

Then negotiate in good faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post

I was going to write something but I couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post

what was the topic again?

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    Would you cut a cheque to gov.bc.ca to pay for the alleged impacts of that court decision? I wouldn't.

I like traffic cones :S Array made Man's Avatar
    Bike
    rsv4r
    Bctf played politics and helped the province to be in a billion dollar hole due to hst.

Now they want more money.

Get stuffed would be a term id use.

"Honda = Boring, Suzuki = Wannabes, Yamaha = Poser, Ducati = Overated, BMW = Compensating, Aprilia = Insecure, Buell = BCIT business... go faKOffee." - PUREVIL

Bike
    2005 Warrior 1700, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850
    So you are saying the government negotiated in bad faith ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post

I was going to write something but I couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post

what was the topic again?

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    Absolutely. Gov practices in teacher negotiations have been terrible, going back to and including the NDP failures to reach agreements.

Bike
    RC
    The Government will keep pushing for a contract with significant concessions prior to their next court appearance.

The teachers are running out the clock. If they win the next case or not who knows.

The teachers had nothing to do with the HST boondoggle. That's squarely on the BC Liberal party. The 'read my lips; no new taxes lies" the botched launch, the floundering attempt to fight the issue instead of simply fixing the tax, the whole mess is on Victoria.

Oh by the way the our current Dear Leader is the person behind the Bills /contracts torn up that are now up before the courts. So the chance of any real negotiation is zero.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    ummm
    Bc teachers have a starting wage of $58,000, and go up to $88,000, they work 10 months a year, plus time off at spring, and Christmas. The have a gold plated benefit plan including the highest level defined benefit pension. There are literally thousands of unemployed teachers. School children enrolment has dropped 20% in the last 10 yrs. teachers bitch that Alberta teachers make 12% more, but they don't want to move to Alberta,,,,kind of like someone in vancouver demanding wage rates found in Ft. Mac.

Teachers can go suck rocks. And tell that idiot leader of their union to cut his stupid looking mullet off, and get a proper haircut.

"Missing a few pieces!' Array Nine-and-a-half's Avatar
    Bike
    FZR750r, Triumph Scrambler
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    Bc teachers have a starting wage of $58,000, and go up to $88,000, they work 10 months a year, plus time off at spring, and Christmas. The have a gold plated benefit plan including the highest level defined benefit pension. There are literally thousands of unemployed teachers. School children enrolment has dropped 20% in the last 10 yrs. teachers bitch that Alberta teachers make 12% more, but they don't want to move to Alberta,,,,kind of like someone in vancouver demanding wage rates found in Ft. Mac.

Teachers can go suck rocks. And tell that idiot leader of their union to cut his stupid looking mullet off, and get a proper haircut.
    Uneducated opinion.
    Well done.

Registered Luser Array
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw

winter break and spring break are 2 weeks each. plus there is a weeks worth of pro-D days. so they actually only work 8 3/4 months of the year less regular stat holidays.
    never mind that they start at 8:30 and knock off at 3:30. Surely someone can come in at this point and cry about all those extra hours they put in at home.

Also they have ZERO accountability for performance or lack thereof. you basically have to assault a student to get fired as a teacher in BC.

I don't always agree with steveG, but when I do, I say fuck ya in my head a little bit.

If there was ever a union that needed to be busted, this is the one. aren't they an 'essential service'. how can they strike without penalties?
    every one of these strikes causes untold lost revenue for our province and hardship for actual productive people in society. what good is a glorified baby sitting service if it cannot even perform the one function it succeeds at?
    Last edited by sAdam; 05-22-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Fookin Prawn Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine-and-a-half View Post
    Uneducated opinion.
    Well done.
    He does that a lot.

SOURCE?

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    winter break and spring break are 2 weeks each. plus there is a weeks worth of pro-D days. so they actually only work 8 3/4 months of the year less regular stat holidays.
    never mind that they start at 8:30 and knock off at 3:30. Surely someone can come in at this point and cry about all those extra hours they put in at home.

Also they have ZERO accountability for performance or lack thereof. you basically have to assault a student to get fired as a teacher in BC.

I don't always agree with steveG, but when I do, I say fuck ya in my head a little bit.

If there was ever a union that needed to be busted, this is the one. aren't they an 'essential service'. how can they strike without penalties?
    every one of these strikes causes untold lost revenue for our province and hardship for actual productive people in society. what good is a glorified baby sitting service if it cannot even perform the one function it succeeds at?

ok wait, let me consider these opinions seriously for a minute.

*** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    2003 Yamaha R6
    Bc teachers have a starting wage of $58,000, and go up to $88,000
    I'm seeing a provincial average range of $43,657 to $82,221. Source. Only SD #87's Category 5+ teachers have a range close to what you noted: $58K-88K. And nobody but nobody wants to work in SD #87 (Stikine). All other districts and categories are lower.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Bloo! 2000 SV650
    My dad taught for 15 years here in BC. He thought the pay was fair, but the politics were shit. His major complaints were class sizes creeping ever upwards, and having the retarded children in his classes sans helper. Very frustrating.

I think most teachers are saying they want more money in their pockets... but they might not realize that's just a bandaid. What they would actually enjoy is classes of 25 kids at most, and adequate funding for class supplies.

Fookin Prawn Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler's Mom View Post
    I'm seeing a provincial average range of $43,657 to $82,221. Source. Only SD #87's Category 5+ teachers have a range close to what you noted: $58K-88K. And nobody but nobody wants to work in SD #87 (Stikine). All other districts and categories are lower.
    No wonder the teachers are bitching. A recent study showed that $40,800/yr is the minimum livable wage in Vancouver.