BCTF strike / lockout - again - Page 4
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 19 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 484

Thread: BCTF strike / lockout - again

  1. #46
    Registered User Array Cuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chilliwack
    Bike
    2006 ZX14, 1981 Brat Bike, 1981 Goldwing.
    My wife has been a teacher for 23 years now, all in BC. I can't say where she works or what job she has but lets just say it's with "special" children. The hardest of the hard to teach. She is not full time but usually puts in about twice the time she is paid for. In return she does not gain a dime in pay but because she loves her job and the kids she teaches the JOICE to put in more time is hers and hers alone. She accepts this but does see some of her counterparts just punching a clock, this does not change her attitude towards her job or the effort put forth.

    She is not happy about this issue especially since it seems to be a constant "look for trouble" attitude put forth by her union and in response the government. No matter what party is in play. If it's the NDP the union bleeds them dry by calling in the markers they've donated to the party. If it's the Liberals her union ramps up the hate and puts children in the cross fire as well as make parents chose sides.

    She also see's school boards filled with over paid so called administrators that neither administer or manage their areas but in stead make sure their empires are taken care of.

    The last strike the teachers had she voted. She filled in her ballot and handed it in. The ballot was opened in front of her by her union rep, read and THEN put in the ballot box. The look she got was not one of joy by the rep but that of disgust. Her union dollars are not well spent in her mind but neither is the tax payers dollars with top heavy business practises and services to the schools that cost far more than they should. (example: she needed a desk for her special class. Found one at Ikea for $400. She was shown two catalogues and told to pick one out of those. The cheapest she could buy was over $2500. Pure waste.)

    Now for those thinking class size isn't about money they might want to re-think that. Smaller class size means more teachers. More teachers means more salaries. More teachers means more union paying members. That's money the tax payer must burden.

    Now the government does not get a pass with her either. They appear to be more interested in dealing with only teachers in a public fight but not interested in dealing with the problems of our school system in depth. Fixing the issues that are faces by the school system would take years and cost votes. None of what is needed would be popular by any side of the coin and therefore the death of that party politically. After all, voters have kids who they love more than life itself and if you mess with that they will get involved and vote. Unfortunately fixing the school system means streamlining and taking away perceived entitlements parents come to expect. But in return they would see the return of kids learning and not experiencing school.

    Not to be seen as an archaic Neanderthal but education needs to rethink class make up or suffer the dumbing down of education to the lowest common denominator. It also needs performance objectives for teachers but this can only be done if they're not spending 80% of their time with little Jonny and Jimmy. Principals require more training in leadership and adult learning principals. They can not just be the best mechanic of the shop any more. They can not also be paper shufflers that just want the $140k/year. Teachers as well should not receive an automatic raise of $10k just for choosing to get their masters unless they want extra work to earn that raise.

    So, will this get fixed, not bloody likely. Both sides are fighting for their political live and the only ones who lose are the kids. Make no mistake though. Neither side is actually thinking of the children.
    "Every time Catherine would rev up the microwave I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for fifteen minutes" - Cousin Eddie

  2. #47
    Fookin Prawn Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
    The last strike the teachers had she voted. She filled in her ballot and handed it in. The ballot was opened in front of her by her union rep, read and THEN put in the ballot box. The look she got was not one of joy by the rep but that of disgust. Her union dollars are not well spent in her mind but neither is the tax payers dollars with top heavy business practises and services to the schools that cost far more than they should. (example: she needed a desk for her special class. Found one at Ikea for $400. She was shown two catalogues and told to pick one out of those. The cheapest she could buy was over $2500. Pure waste.)
    That's really fucked up about the vote. And having worked in public sector before, I'm not really surprised. The processes are so incredible stupid and wasteful. I remember a co-worker getting bitched out because he was using a $8 ream of paper as a monitor stand. He was told to order a proper monitor stand for $100. That's just the petty shit. My department of 100 staff, had over a million dollars in our server room. They spent every dime of that budget every year whether they needed it or not. They always used the argument of "use it or lose it"....but if you don't fucking need it all, why continue to waste it year after year.

    That is completely an administration problem though, but in this case the teachers are the ones in the spotlight. And we all know who really suffers here.
    Last edited by xxxx; 05-22-2014 at 09:33 PM.

  3. #48
    Registered User Array Steve G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Down here
    Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyF View Post
    You can't base it by "days worked" when one job is more hours than a standard work day, that's my point.

    Using your logic someone with a regular schedule, 40hrs a week x 50 weeks (250 days, 2000 hrs) some how works less than someone who does 4 hours shifts every day of the year. (365 days, 1460 hours).

    So your 180 day argument means diddly squat unless you're comparing it to a job with the same amount of hours, not days.
    How many hours a day do you think the "average" school teacher puts in each day?

  4. #49
    Fookin Prawn Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    How many hours a day do you think the "average" school teacher puts in each day?
    I would say 10. I don't know any teacher than showed up at 8:30 on the dot and left at 3:30 on the dot. I would say most are at the school for 8-9 hours, plus marking etc at home.

  5. #50
    Registered User Array Squint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    East Van
    Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    I just shake my head when the finger gets pointed at the current government, or the bctf, as the culprit. I was in grade 4 in this province, early 80's, teachers went on strike. Three years later it was work-to-rule. It is as it ever has been.

    This current iteration, BCTF has to settle for progress but never does, always wanting every demand met. But where's the money? Well, contract forced on you... Again. If I was a teacher I'd be looking for better representation. BCTF has been around for what, 20+ years? And only one contract signed in that time with... wait for it...the current governing party.

    As a parent I'm just sick of the whole thing. A plague on both their houses.

  6. #51
    Registered User Array swampdonkey25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    kamloops
    Bike
    92 gsxr750w/ 06 honda 919
    Quote Originally Posted by moeracing View Post
    I would challenge any of you willing to going into a grade 4 class with 30 students....5 of them special needs, some physical some learning some mentally. How does one teacher teach math to so many....they will all be at various level of apptitude. The special needs kids often suffer from behavioural issues and thus disrupt the class and the other kids. I am not a teacher but my wife was/is...she is currently a stay at home mother while our kids are young....this strike is about class sizes and composition. Money is a minor issue imo.
    holy shit, someone who knows what they are talking about and not spouting uneducated bullshit.

  7. #52
    just having fun Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    bc
    Bike
    not red
    Quote Originally Posted by moeracing View Post
    I would challenge any of you willing to going into a grade 4 class with 30 students....5 of them special needs, some physical some learning some mentally. How does one teacher teach math to so many....
    yes it is amazing, a job that i would not want to do no matter how much it paid. having said that, when/where i went to school the normal class size was 30 with an actual size regularly running 33-35. there were no special treatments for anyone. no 'one on one' or other. you either learned or you didn't and if you didn't your mom, dad, brother, sister, friend or whoever would sit with you and make you learn/practice till you got it. some got it right away, some took time but everyone had to do it eventually or they got to spend more time in the same level. despite this, i can tell you we got better education than what these kids here are getting.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdyno View Post
    And since these job complaints have been going on forever, it's not like any teacher working now days didn't know what they were getting into when they filled out their applications for teacher's college.
    another 'bingo'!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuff View Post
    She filled in her ballot and handed it in. The ballot was opened in front of her by her union rep, read and THEN put in the ballot box. The look she got was not one of joy by the rep but that of disgust.
    that's just terrible.

    btw there are certain professions (in my opinion) i.e. nurses, doctors, teachers, to name few, for which you have to have special devotion and a heart. not everyone can and should do them. by the sounds of it your wife, cuff, is someone that is meant for the 'job' and ppl like that are very appreciated by many of us and those are the ppl that should be rewarded accordingly.
    don't click here

  8. #53
    Registered Luser Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Rock
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    this one line;

    says (to me at least) that you really have no understanding of the job, it's requirements or it's importance.

    and so you're aware, i actually agree with some of the points you and Steve brought up. however, your completely one sided view of the issue pretty much discounts the merit of those thoughts.
    ahh. so you have no facts to refute. I see you went to the Canadian school of logical argument. my one sided view is ______ therefore it discounts the merit of my thoughts. see ur missing the middle bit.

    you are aware that many countries outperform us badly in math and sciences right?

  9. #54
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Williams Lake B.C.
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    I would like the teachers and the government to come to a fair agreement that both can live with. If this agreement takes us into the new school year?Then I guess the teachers will end up getting fall or winters off.

    There are a great number of teachers who are under paid, I would like them to be properly paid for their work and dedication.

    There are a few duds out there who should be sent packing. (or give them a short bus to drive)

    (I do find it hard to feel sorry for a"union" that used "We are not a union, we are a professional association'' as an excuse to cross every other unions picket lines.)
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

    Ride safe folks.

  10. #55
    Registered User Array Cuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chilliwack
    Bike
    2006 ZX14, 1981 Brat Bike, 1981 Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sushigrl View Post


    that's just terrible.

    btw there are certain professions (in my opinion) i.e. nurses, doctors, teachers, to name few, for which you have to have special devotion and a heart. not everyone can and should do them. by the sounds of it your wife, cuff, is someone that is meant for the 'job' and ppl like that are very appreciated by many of us and those are the ppl that should be rewarded accordingly.
    And she thanks you for thinking so. It's not a job for her but a love of teaching. She also doesn't take for granted the tax dollars paid to her.

    As for her local doing what they did, well, they were never her favorite but an evil tolerated.
    "Every time Catherine would rev up the microwave I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for fifteen minutes" - Cousin Eddie

  11. #56
    lover of twins Array syncro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    white privilege
    Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    ahh. so you have no facts to refute. I see you went to the Canadian school of logical argument. my one sided view is ______ therefore it discounts the merit of my thoughts. see ur missing the middle bit.

    you are aware that many countries outperform us badly in math and sciences right?
    i chose not to bother, didn't see the point. things like your assumption that all teachers only work the school hours of 8:30-3:30 says your argument is biased. your closing statement that i quoted previously confirms that. my experience tells me that in such situations even when presented with facts and figures people presenting this type of argument seldom change their point of view or are willing to consider the other side of the debate. it's not a discussion when one part is not willing to take in info from the other side and consider it's merits. this may not necessarily be you, but it's the vibe i got from the original post (and steve's as well)

    and yes i am aware that some countries outperform us in math and science, but why do you include that statement? do you think that is purely the fault of the teachers?
    *** every move should be calculated ***

    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

  12. #57
    Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kits Beach
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyF View Post
    I would say 10. I don't know any teacher than showed up at 8:30 on the dot and left at 3:30 on the dot. I would say most are at the school for 8-9 hours, plus marking etc at home.
    I used to arrive at 7:00 a.m. daily and tried to leave by 4-4:30 pm. I began at 4:00 a.m. at home and always worked one day per weekend. Many field trips to Barkerville, the theatre, even musicals. I kept up tech wise, kept a blog, tech in my classroom. I phoned parents from home and met them at their convenience before or after school. I'm trying to stay out of this squabble because there's too much hate and ignorance about the profession. Of course there's enough "dead wood" in the system. Cark has been trying to break the union since day one. Teacher's are a dedicated and hard working group of professionals. I paid my own advanced degrees bc it made me a better teacher. No one becomes a teacher for summers off. If you don't love the kids, don't bother. Now that I'm retired I still miss the kids and none of the politics in and out of the school system. I attend grad every June bc I like to see the kids and I have the 8's and 9's to send off yet. I'm going to do all I can to stay out of this war bc it doesn't suit my health. I'm just expressing my 25 years in the trenches. Both sides can do a lot better that's for sure.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

  13. #58
    Fookin Prawn Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    I used to arrive at 7:00 a.m. daily and tried to leave by 4-4:30 pm. I began at 4:00 a.m. at home and always worked one day per weekend. Many field trips to Barkerville, the theatre, even musicals. I kept up tech wise, kept a blog, tech in my classroom. I phoned parents from home and met them at their convenience before or after school. I'm trying to stay out of this squabble because there's too much hate and ignorance about the profession. Of course there's enough "dead wood" in the system. Cark has been trying to break the union since day one. Teacher's are a dedicated and hard working group of professionals. I paid my own advanced degrees bc it made me a better teacher. No one becomes a teacher for summers off. If you don't love the kids, don't bother. Now that I'm retired I still miss the kids and none of the politics in and out of the school system. I attend grad every June bc I like to see the kids and I have the 8's and 9's to send off yet. I'm going to do all I can to stay out of this war bc it doesn't suit my health. I'm just expressing my 25 years in the trenches. Both sides can do a lot better that's for sure.
    Thanks for clarifying. I said 10 to be conservative so Steve G. wouldn't jump all over me, but I assumed it was more than that. But don't worry according to him it's only 180 days of that a year.

  14. #59
    Registered User Array Steve G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Down here
    Bike
    ummm
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyF View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I said 10 to be conservative so Steve G. wouldn't jump all over me, but I assumed it was more than that. But don't worry according to him it's only 180 days of that a year.
    That 180 day figure I got off the 6pm news tonite, it's not a made up thing by me.

  15. #60
    Registered User Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Burnaby
    Bike
    95 KTM 620, bike number 17...
    "A plague on both their houses. "

    This argument was politisized long ago and hasn't stopped, both parties mouthing the words "for the children" while at the same time holding the students and their parents hostage in order to get their demands met.

    It's F***king disgusting.

    I've known quite a few teachers and watched the teachers as my boys went through school. Some of these folks went into teaching because they really believed in teaching and work their asses off, others clearly because they wanted 2 months off in the summer and don't want to get their hands dirty. Just like any other profession.

    In this case if you look at who they have representing them as union officials, maybe the "want to have 2 months off in the summer" are the majority, because the message they put forward and the overreaching demands come off negatively... (to at least me) And get a freaking haircut! These representatives have always looked like freaking hippies.... they would do better dealing with the public if they were never shown in a photo, let alone TV. Fire the union leadership... the union members would be better off IMO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •