Private insurance vs ICBC - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Private insurance vs ICBC

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by vancitymike View Post
    I got 2 gixxers under my name an 09 + 10, and I pay more for the 09. Go figure. ICBC just makes up insurance rates.
    ICBC doesn't just make insurance rates up... that statement is just ridiculous.

Why don't you go scan up your insurance policies so we can look at them and show YOU why there is a difference... since you haven't figured it out and think
    they just spin a fucking bottle to come up with it.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Fookin Prawn Array
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post

Why don't you go scan up your insurance policies so we can look at them and show YOU why there is a difference... since you haven't figured it out and think
    Yup or the declared value is different.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyF View Post
    Yup or the declared value is different.
    Or maybe the timing of the second policy, and the fact he had a further vehicle insured meant a greater discount on the next vehicle... thus making the 2010 less than the 2009 policy.

There is always an explanation to the person who gives it some thought and research. Suggesting they just make rates up... tells me you haven't looked to see why, or fair enough... don't understand how insurance works... in which case you should call them and ask, rather than just pecking the keys and saying they are just making shit up.

Captain Charisma Array Office Buelly's Avatar
    Bike
    1125R
    I know for instance that the 1125R is cheaper to insure then the 1125CR although they are for all intents and purposes the exact same bike. The reasoning, the CR has had more claims filed then the R. I know someone that bought a newer version of the same bike and insurance was cheaper for a similar reason, old model had lots of claims made while the new one hadn't...yet.
    Responsible for the creation of sections 115,116 and 117 of the Workers Compensation Act.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Office Buelly View Post
    I know for instance that the 1125R is cheaper to insure then the 1125CR although they are for all intents and purposes the exact same bike. The reasoning, the CR has had more claims filed then the R. I know someone that bought a newer version of the same bike and insurance was cheaper for a similar reason, old model had lots of claims made while the new one hadn't...yet.
    Assuming that everything is equal in terms of geographical location, CRS, etc... then what part of the insurance was more expensive?

The BASIC insurance, if those things are all equal, will be the same. It's location, displacement, CRS discount.

Bike
    Gixxer k9

They don't spin the bottle. They darts at numbers on the wall. Hehehehe

Oh yeah, jay, I did ask. And they said that their stats show that more claims have been done on the 09' models then the 10'. Whatever, it's just 2$ more a month.

Fookin Prawn Array
    They don't spin the bottle. They darts at numbers on the wall. Hehehehe

Oh yeah, jay, I did ask. And they said that their stats show that more claims have been done on the 09' models then the 10'. Whatever, it's just 2$ more a month.
    So they gave you a logical reason yet you pretended that it was made up?

Captain Charisma Array Office Buelly's Avatar
    Bike
    1125R
    I believe most of the difference is found in the collision and specified perils, would have to compare quotes from the same rider side by side to see if there would be any difference on the basic side of things. I know in my case the difference was ~$40/yr between the R and CR. Not huge but interesting none the less.
    Responsible for the creation of sections 115,116 and 117 of the Workers Compensation Act.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Office Buelly View Post
    I believe most of the difference is found in the collision and specified perils, would have to compare quotes from the same rider side by side to see if there would be any difference on the basic side of things. I know in my case the difference was ~$40/yr between the R and CR. Not huge but interesting none the less.
    It wouldn't be in the basic, because the basic premium on a $30,000 Ducati Panigale and a $2000 1200cc Bandit would be the same. You are paying for liability insurance.

Bike
    Gixxer k9
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyF View Post
    So they gave you a logical reason yet you pretended that it was made up?
    Ok.. so you find it logical that I paid less collision with ICBC on my bikes 4 years ago than I do today with a higher discount rate. Meanwhile Beacon lowers my rates every year?

Exact same bikes and the older bike by one year, pays more on collision? Yet beacon has them at the same rate.?

You expect me to believe ICBC's bullshit about their stupid stats? Doesn't Beacon come out with their own stats?

C'mom guys, the writing is on the wall. ICBC dreams of these, numbers and they blur it out. There's no way i'll be convinced otherwise. Sorry.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Ok.. so you find it logical that I paid less collision with ICBC on my bikes 4 years ago than I do today with a higher discount rate. Meanwhile Beacon lowers my rates every year?

Exact same bikes and the older bike by one year, pays more on collision? Yet beacon has them at the same rate.?

You expect me to believe ICBC's bullshit about their stupid stats? Doesn't Beacon come out with their own stats?

C'mom guys, the writing is on the wall. ICBC dreams of these, numbers and they blur it out. There's no way i'll be convinced otherwise. Sorry.
    It's not possible to convince people that believe they are right.

See what happens to the private insurance rate if you have a few claims and then get back to me.

The rates don't go up, they just tell you they won't insure you anymore.

That's how they are able to control costs - they can insure who they want, when they want.. or tell you to fly a kite.

ICBC can't, they insure everyone. And with that said, it's a MASSIVE BENEFIT to the sportbike community. Young men on sportbikes wouldn't have the same luxuries here in this province that they do, if we were dealing with private insurers across the board.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    BTW............I'm going to the River's Reach with CHIA tonight to get shittified.....
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Self-proclaimed VIP Array digirat's Avatar
    Bike
    2011 ZX1000G
    i had insurance on my bike through beacon before. now i switched to federation because beacon wanted to charge me an extra $150 / year.
    the gf's with beacon because hers comes out cheaper through them as opposed to federation

just get quotes from all the places and see which one is cheapest for you
    and full collision + theft through any private insurer is cheaper than just theft from icbc

Bike
    Gixxer k9
    It's not possible to convince people that believe they are right.

See what happens to the private insurance rate if you have a few claims and then get back to me.

The rates don't go up, they just tell you they won't insure you anymore.

That's how they are able to control costs - they can insure who they want, when they want.. or tell you to fly a kite.

ICBC can't, they insure everyone. And with that said, it's a MASSIVE BENEFIT to the sportbike community. Young men on sportbikes wouldn't have the same luxuries here in this province that they do, if we were dealing with private insurers across the board.
    No doubt you're right on this...

Much better then in Quebec for sure.

Next track days i'll bring both papers and you can show me why my 09 costs 2$ more a month that my 10. That's my only beef with ICBC.

Btw.. I'm glad you're back here.

Bike
    Honda
    If you can get private insurance then its a no brainer.......... Although ICBC or Beacon, it comes out to about the same for me since i only ride 3 months a year max.

But good thing about beacon, its based on a declared value, so no haggling with icbc and they are just easier to deal with from what i have heard.
    Also since youre covered for the whole year with beacon, you can just slap on a day pass from icbc anytime and you're to good go.
    Last edited by BROSKI; 05-23-2014 at 09:05 PM.