BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Checking in....

12K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  4.5 
#1 ·
I have lurked this place for a spell, just thought I would say hia.

This time of the year I am always jonesin a bit.

Looking for ride ideas WA, OR, NCali.
Found lots here.

Hell, doesn't matter either way, get on and go. Those roads always find me.

Tim in Kelowna.

#3 ·
Looking for ride ideas WA, OR, NCali.
Found lots here.
Tim in Kelowna.
you're blessed up there Tim. so close to the Kootenays! so close to northeastern WA and Idaho! weekend range to the John Day country. cool roads in the Okanagan and Shuswap! gosh...

#4 ·
No shortage of amazing roads for sure. A great spot to be here in the Okanagan.
I have been poring over three new DeLORME Atlas/ Gazetteers (WA-OR-CA). The NE part of OR looks amazing. (as you say the John Day area)
I have ridden through and around OR a few times and have not explored this part. That is going to change real soon.
BTW....the detail and scale on these atlases is outstanding. Great trip planning tool. The downside though is that these things are not light weight.....but they are
coming along anyway!

#6 ·
Good tip, thanks CanadianBird.
I have stolen a few ideas from their website, had a look at two of the books (not maps yet), but could not bring myself to spend the 60 bucks ea. A cheap bastard are I.
I will eventually buy a set I suppose. I do see the value for sure.

#8 ·
All great tips. Looked them up and made some notes, thanks doser.

For this general area, can you or someone else recommend a central town/motel/cold beer/campground (with showers) a person could day ride out of?
It looks like plenty to explore for at least a coupla days before moving on.
Sometimes it is nice to leave some some gear in 'camp' for a lighter day rip.... and cold ones to come home to.

I think the only reason I might have avoided this area in the past is the Deliverance Factor.

With this new Atlas...you can't throw a dart without seeing another potential 10 Twisty.
I love it that the Americans seem to pave even the most remote roads.
God Bless America.:)

#10 ·
For this general area, can you or someone else recommend a central town/motel/cold beer/campground (with showers) a person could day ride out of?
for central northeast Oregon, John Day is the 'major' town (altho it has population of under 2000!). I've stayed at Dreamer's Lodge http://www.dreamerslodge.com/ a couple times. basic but clean, inexpensive (maybe $60 per nite). food and drink can be had across the alley on the main street at the Outpost.

the other towns in this area are smaller, so accommodation choices are quite limited. there are a couple motels in Fossil; there are a couple places in Spray, which has a lovely location on the river. there's not even gas in Shaniko any more. you've gotta get out to Baker City to find a 'real' city...

#11 ·
Hi Tim......I have been using Westbank for my base for rides in the summer and also intrested in rides south of the border...been some good group rides posted on the ride thread last year which I missed due to work but hope to get one in this year....keep tabs on the ride thread and you may get some experienced company along for the ride.....

Dan in Langley

#14 ·
king of the hill, in my own mind.
almost there.
don't forget to smell the flowers
great road as those who have been there know. Very comfy on a tubby BlackBird. I loved that little road trip.

#15 ·
Ha! Familiar imagery.
Are those Top Box Panniers on your Bird?
Never seen that before. Very clever. Lots of dry storage.

Did the Blackbird come with a fork brace?
You bike is beautifully equipped. Lucky lad.

Met a guy on the road a couple of years ago that had a BB....he loved it. Could not stop ranting. LOL.
(I think his was black or really dark blue)

#16 ·
I ordered the side bags and top box when I bought the bike. Lots of room for two up or even solo. Fork brace came from Pashnit. It does work. Yes, it is a beautiful bike, 200, 990 kms?. I love it and I think it's great used bike value. Cheers

Reactions: Borgnine
#17 ·
So I am doing a little research into just exactly where there will be possible fuel stops in Eastern Oregon. I found this little tidbit this morning....

One other thing to worry about is gas down there. While Heppner seems to have the only commercially-franchised gas station in North-Central Oregon, there’s no other fuel on the road and difficult to find in much of the region. Make sure you know when your gas stops are going to be open when you go through, and I recommend calling ahead a couple weeks before you leave to be sure that the place has fuel or is even still in business. I’ve heard that a lot of mom & pop gas stations have folded this summer due to low tourism.

I am wondering if I can take advantage of the collective experience on this forum. Perhaps someone has already created such a list? ...or know where one might exist?

I may be riding this area alone the first time I go, running out of fuel in the middle of nofrickenwhere is inconvenient at best.
Fuel should not be issue, but just eliminating that stress of , "shit I hope there is a gas station in that next town...." would be nice.

I am stoked to explore this area as it is only a days ride away for me.

#20 ·
HA! You were reading my mind.
I have carried extra fuel before, but in an awkward 1 gallon jug.
I was about to slip into the interwebs to see what's new and handy......and there you go. Old school fuel bottles...perfect. I had not thought of that. The holder thing is nifty as well. Thanks filterwrench!

I might even have an old backpacking fuel bottle around here somewhere.

#19 ·
Hi there Tim, greetings from a recent transplant from Vancouver to Kelowna. However my bike it still in YVR, hoping to get it up here within the next couple weeks. I see so many bikes out now, and the weather is perfect, and I can't wait to get out and explore the Okanagan back-roads and into the Kootenays.

I was also too cheap to get the Destination books, but I eventually broke down and got the WA one with the map, and someone gave me the BC one. They have been indispensable, especially when the majority of roads are out of cell service, its like having a bit of google in your tank bag.

Be safe out there!

#21 ·
Welcome to the area Kerberos.
Good move. :)

It might look perfect out there...but it still fricken cold.
I did Kel >Westside> Salmon River road >Salmon Arm for lunch and back the same way yesterday. Cold.
And did Green Mountain Road >The Pie Store >White Lake road >Green Lake road>and home today.
Fricken cold.

Not complaining mind you, it was good riding both days, the roads are surprisingly clear of gravel but GMR has some wicked new potholes and woops. But great fun of course.:thumbup

Yes, I will have to pony up for the DH material for sure. The real shame is these guys have not yet done Oregon.

#23 ·
I may take you up on that, my bike will be here a week Thursday barring any sudden snowstorms on the passes on the Wednesday. I'm just off 33 on near Black Mountain, its going to be great to have some good riding literally on my doorstep without having to ride through traffic for an hour.

#25 ·
Sorry I missed this, I've been tied up with work travel lately. I did finally manage to get the bike here from Vancouver last Wednesday, with just a touch of snow and ball freezing over the Coquinnector. Let me know if there's any other rides planned soon, though I'm going to be traveling again until May 2nd.

#27 ·
For anyone interested. I found a 1.5 litre fuel bottle that will work for me. I just have to fab up a mount. I figure this little unit will give me 50 clicks to find more. Really what I am after is to get rid of that aggravating tension you get when you are low and doing everything you can to make it to the next fuel up.I have not figured out how to paste a url using this new tablet...this metal fuel bottle is made by Biltwell. Bought it at a hipster shop here in kelowna.... Motovita.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.