Checking in....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Checking in....

Bike
    f4 mod / VFR800

Checking in....

I have lurked this place for a spell, just thought I would say hia.

This time of the year I am always jonesin a bit.

Looking for ride ideas WA, OR, NCali.
    Found lots here.

Hell, doesn't matter either way, get on and go. Those roads always find me.

Tim in Kelowna.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Bike
    K1300R
    Sup dude. Happy riding.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by 4.5 View Post
    Looking for ride ideas WA, OR, NCali.
    Found lots here.
    Tim in Kelowna.
    you're blessed up there Tim. so close to the Kootenays! so close to northeastern WA and Idaho! weekend range to the John Day country. cool roads in the Okanagan and Shuswap! gosh...
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    f4 mod / VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    you're blessed up there Tim. so close to the Kootenays! so close to northeastern WA and Idaho! weekend range to the John Day country. cool roads in the Okanagan and Shuswap! gosh...
    No shortage of amazing roads for sure. A great spot to be here in the Okanagan.
    I have been poring over three new DeLORME Atlas/ Gazetteers (WA-OR-CA). The NE part of OR looks amazing. (as you say the John Day area)
    I have ridden through and around OR a few times and have not explored this part. That is going to change real soon.
    BTW....the detail and scale on these atlases is outstanding. Great trip planning tool. The downside though is that these things are not light weight.....but they are
    coming along anyway!

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Bike
    f4 mod / VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBird View Post
    Good tip, thanks CanadianBird.
    I have stolen a few ideas from their website, had a look at two of the books (not maps yet), but could not bring myself to spend the 60 bucks ea. A cheap bastard are I.
    I will eventually buy a set I suppose. I do see the value for sure.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    I have been poring over three new DeLORME Atlas/ Gazetteers (WA-OR-CA). The NE part of OR looks amazing. (as you say the John Day area)
    I have ridden through and around OR a few times and have not explored this part. That is going to change real soon.
    I use the Benchmark atlases - about equivalent, I think. Online works for route planning, but atlases give you an overview that can't be matched.
    I take mine along too. I cut a chunk of heavy cardboard 4" core for printer paper, and just roll the atlas up in it. Well protected...

You will not be disappointed by the John day country. It's quite fabulous. The number #1 highlight for most people is Shaniko to Fossil, which is off the charts good. However, the deeper you get into exploring the area, the more you uncover. My favorite is the Middle Fork of the John Day River, ridden east to west, from Hwy 26/7 to US395. Absolutely no one around, and it just gets tighter and more scenic the further you go, slowing dropping out of the forested plateau into a deep, grassy valley.

Check out these maps:
    http://www.comeridewithus.net/Home_Page.php
    They are available in all the tourist and motorcycle spots when you get to the area; I don't think you can order them online or anything, and they don't give much detail ( you can view PDFs online), but they definitely point you towards the right roads!

p.s. Dooley Mountain between Unity and Baker City is also off the chart...
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    f4 mod / VFR800
    All great tips. Looked them up and made some notes, thanks doser.

For this general area, can you or someone else recommend a central town/motel/cold beer/campground (with showers) a person could day ride out of?
    It looks like plenty to explore for at least a coupla days before moving on.
    Sometimes it is nice to leave some some gear in 'camp' for a lighter day rip.... and cold ones to come home to.

I think the only reason I might have avoided this area in the past is the Deliverance Factor.

With this new Atlas...you can't throw a dart without seeing another potential 10 Twisty.
    I love it that the Americans seem to pave even the most remote roads.
    God Bless America.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Good tip, thanks CanadianBird.
    I have stolen a few ideas from their website, had a look at two of the books (not maps yet), but could not bring myself to spend the 60 bucks ea. A cheap bastard are I.
    I will eventually buy a set I suppose. I do see the value for sure.
    Just buy the maps. I never bring the books with me and hardly read the books any more. Mnt St Helens, I think.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    For this general area, can you or someone else recommend a central town/motel/cold beer/campground (with showers) a person could day ride out of?
    for central northeast Oregon, John Day is the 'major' town (altho it has population of under 2000!). I've stayed at Dreamer's Lodge http://www.dreamerslodge.com/ a couple times. basic but clean, inexpensive (maybe $60 per nite). food and drink can be had across the alley on the main street at the Outpost.

the other towns in this area are smaller, so accommodation choices are quite limited. there are a couple motels in Fossil; there are a couple places in Spray, which has a lovely location on the river. there's not even gas in Shaniko any more. you've gotta get out to Baker City to find a 'real' city...
    Dwight Eisenhower

Registered User Array filterwrench's Avatar
    Bike
    r1200gsw
    Hi Tim......I have been using Westbank for my base for rides in the summer and also intrested in rides south of the border...been some good group rides posted on the ride thread last year which I missed due to work but hope to get one in this year....keep tabs on the ride thread and you may get some experienced company along for the ride.....

Dan in Langley

Bike
    f4 mod / VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by filterwrench View Post
    Hi Tim......I have been using Westbank for my base for rides in the summer and also intrested in rides south of the border...been some good group rides posted on the ride thread last year which I missed due to work but hope to get one in this year....keep tabs on the ride thread and you may get some experienced company along for the ride.....

Dan in Langley
    I was keeping that in mind Dan. I will watch for anybody heading the same way around the same time I am able to go.

Bike
    f4 mod / VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    for central northeast Oregon, John Day is the 'major' town (altho it has population of under 2000!). I've stayed at Dreamer's Lodge http://www.dreamerslodge.com/ a couple times. basic but clean, inexpensive (maybe $60 per nite). food and drink can be had across the alley on the main street at the Outpost.

the other towns in this area are smaller, so accommodation choices are quite limited. there are a couple motels in Fossil; there are a couple places in Spray, which has a lovely location on the river. there's not even gas in Shaniko any more. you've gotta get out to Baker City to find a 'real' city...
    Even more excellent information. Thanks CB!
    I like the look of the DH map. I have done that Mt. St. Helens run. It's a Peach.

It was quite a while ago, the tarmac was virgin and the weather was 10 I recall. I also remember it was the first time hearing a Speed Triple at full twat. I was stopped admiring the view and listened to this guy tearing up that road. I met him at the top of the hill. Nothing sounds like a triple. Like music.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    king of the hill, in my own mind. almost there. don't forget to smell the flowers great road as those who have been there know. Very comfy on a tubby BlackBird. I loved that little road trip.

Bike
    f4 mod / VFR800
    Ha! Familiar imagery.
    Are those Top Box Panniers on your Bird?
    Never seen that before. Very clever. Lots of dry storage.

Did the Blackbird come with a fork brace?
    You bike is beautifully equipped. Lucky lad.

Met a guy on the road a couple of years ago that had a BB....he loved it. Could not stop ranting. LOL.
    (I think his was black or really dark blue)