July 31, 2015 ride to Portland suggestions

Thread: July 31, 2015 ride to Portland suggestions

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2008 ZX10

Hi all. I'm planning on riding out to Portland on July 31 from Surrey with a couple friends for about three nights. I've never been there before so I'm canvassing suggestions on routes, best places to stay, places to go, etc.

Any tips or advice would be really helpful.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array CanadianBird's Avatar
    Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    Want to get there ASAP or take your time? Great beer town, great coffee town, no sales tax. I would choose riding S east of the Cascades. I wouldn't jet down the I 5. Borrow a destinationhighways map of Washington State for choice of routes.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Good route here. Here is a list of accommodations. Glad to be of service, great that you've started the planning phase so early.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2008 ZX10
    Thanks for the tips! I'm excited to go!!

Registered User Array bakwheeltango's Avatar
    Bike
    Z1000, GSXR1000
    I have made my way down there lots of times... I would highly recommend doing this route
    get up early and suck it up and ride the slab for awhile... get's you into the goods quicker.
    great place for breakfast in Enumclaw forgot the name... at the end before you get into the park.
    Avoid Mt Rainier park on weekends! it's packed. gas up in enumclaw, ashford randle and cougar.
    Stay at the bridge of gods motel sleeps 4 for a $120 if you get the big room.
    old scenic hwy is so fun!

https://goo.gl/maps/i36KT
    2018 ZX10RR

Bike
    Ducati 848 evo, DRZ400 SM
    Here's something to consider also. I've done most routes routes into N. OR, and bakwheeltango suggestion is a good one too. If you by chance decide to do two different routes coming and going, at least do bakwheeltango's going down. FS25 road is worse going North vs. South. Here is my suggestion, and it goes right by The Ridge Motor Sports (in case they are having a track day), and you want to stop and check it out.

http://goo.gl/maps/KVStC

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX
    BackWheel's route is a good one, but it is a long day in the saddle, imo. Maybe for a senior, I've done that route a couple of years ago.
    Full Yoshi SS, Galfer wave rotors, Goodridge steel lines, Hel oil lines, Corbin GFL, Penske rear, RaceTech front, Hids, Givi hard bags with full lighting kit, Dyna Coils, K&N, Samco rad hoses, 9500ix/iQ, Pazzo, some bling, some CF.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTank View Post
    Here's something to consider also. I've done most routes routes into N. OR, and bakwheeltango suggestion is a good one too. If you by chance decide to do two different routes coming and going, at least do bakwheeltango's going down. FS25 road is worse going North vs. South. Here is my suggestion, and it goes right by The Ridge Motor Sports (in case they are having a track day), and you want to stop and check it out.

http://goo.gl/maps/KVStC
    That's similar to the route I took last year, but we crossed at Peace Arch and got off the I5 ASAP, took Chuckanut which was nice but we were somewhat early. Going back north I was on it much later in the day, too many caravans.
    Then Oak Harbour and ferry to Port Townsend.
    And we cut across on Highway 30 just after crossing the bridge at Astoria, that was ass. On the way back I rode up to Longview and took Hwy 4 back west on the north side of the river, much nicer.
    I was really wanting to do a more eastern route back, to the east end of highway 20 and cross back west there, but it was far too long.

In Portland, what you want? I've stayed at the Palms which gives good access to the Mississippi area, great food and drinks. But I've also stayed AirBNB in the SE quadrant and there was good food and drink there too. It's a beer lover's heaven.

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by bakwheeltango View Post
    I have made my way down there lots of times... I would highly recommend doing this route
    get up early and suck it up and ride the slab for awhile... get's you into the goods quicker.
    great place for breakfast in Enumclaw forgot the name... at the end before you get into the park.
    Avoid Mt Rainier park on weekends! it's packed. gas up in enumclaw, ashford randle and cougar.
    Stay at the bridge of gods motel sleeps 4 for a $120 if you get the big room.
    old scenic hwy is so fun!

https://goo.gl/maps/i36KT

that route around rainer can't be right as it puts you on gravel roads. i think you mean to be on FSR 90?
    speaking of which, it is currently in the junk category (literally) according to a trip report from stever88ca last year.

https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...34#post2167634

so that said i would suggest something like the following. it's a longer rider but there are some stellar sections in there. if you wanted to make the day shorter i would suggest crossing the border the night before and then spend the night in a hotel in seattle or somewhere close by. this would also allow you to include an out and back on yakima canyon road - the 821

https://goo.gl/maps/oIBGO

on the way back do something different as suggested by datank.
    Last edited by syncro; 02-25-2015 at 10:22 PM.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2008 ZX10
    Thanks again for all the info. It is going to prove very useful indeed!!

Bike
    2016 CBR1000RR-SP
    If you like beer and can change your dates, go the week before.
    http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/ July 22-26.
    ---------------------------
    Now... bring me that horizon.

Insert User Title Here. Array TripleTime's Avatar
    Bike
    Yes.
    take a look at the Klikitat Canyon. Heads north out of The Dalles Oregon, then cuts East over towards St. Helens. Hotter than one of Made Man's Jeeps, but if you can get at it first thing, it's amazing riding.

Also, the section around the EAST side of Rainier is pretty fun too, if you're looking for options through there. Any of the forest roads around Mt. St. Helens are fun too.

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    take a look at the Klikitat Canyon. Heads north out of The Dalles Oregon, then cuts East over towards St. Helens. Hotter than one of Made Man's Jeeps, but if you can get at it first thing, it's amazing riding.

Also, the section around the EAST side of Rainier is pretty fun too, if you're looking for options through there. Any of the forest roads around Mt. St. Helens are fun too.

check out the map i posted.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    If you are going through St. Helen's area as most of the routes show, you will want to go down NF-99 aka "Windy Ridge". You will see on the map shown where the road switches back and Spirit Lake is shown. That is where NF-99/Windy Ridge starts. It takes you as close to the epicenter of St. Helen's. It is a must do.

Bike
    2002 CBR1100XX

But check with Washington State Highways because that road is not winter maintained and is often closed, opens late and can be in rough shape. this is leaving Randle South. A Destinationhighways map will be helpful here. One year I made it but I turned around the next year I did the whole route. On the way from Ranier on the way to Mnt St Helens.
    Last edited by CanadianBird; 03-03-2015 at 03:22 PM.