Tar snakes
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tar snakes

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 ninja1000sex

Tar snakes

Tar snakes are a nick name for the tar lines in the road used to patch cracked roads. They look black and a very slippery.

To my point: We practice safety skills like thresh hold breaking, looking into the corners, one or more fingers on the clutch/ brake levers all the time ect..... I suggest riding on the tar snakes.

For safety reasons, I practice riding on the tar snakes to become accustomed to the feel of it. Sounds dangerous eh? So is threshold brakeing in traffic.

What I suggest is try riding on a short tar snake at a time, to further minimize the danger, try it at 50 km, on a quite road, in a straight line. ( I suggest Renfrew st. from 1 st. ave all the way down to mc gill st. cause it's wide and can be few cars)

Why would I risk this your thinking? Have you ever accidently rode over one? Are you so paranoid of them in a corner that you freeze up when you see them?

Then you know they upset the bike a far amount, I suggest you practice getting use to them in a controlled situation.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Riding instructor! I've got 13 years riding experience only. Don't attempt this if you are not comfortable or competent on your machine pls ride safe!

Finally If you have any constructive feedback I'd be happy to hear it.
    Smile, you'll live longer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Vicious Little Tree Rat Array squirly's Avatar
    Bike
    I'd go and step on one first just to feel what they're like underfoot, especially on a hot day. That way you'll be prepared when your tire steps out.

I stepped on one crossing the street once and I almost kissed pavement. They're like goo!

KNOW THY ENEMY!!!
    Good Luck and Godspeed!

Litre-Eater
    Hit the throttle while on one...lots of fun.

Balgony, not Bologna! Array TonyBalgony's Avatar
    Bike
    zip
    They can be slicker than goose shit. Nasty in the corners.
    Stop Rappin' Man,
    this is the REAL thing.
    (trevor-TPB)

Registered User Array Good old Pete's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 ninja1000sex
    Tony... what a good reason to test them out eh?

AGaIn everyone... be safe!
    Smile, you'll live longer.

Bike
    2016 CBR1000RR-SP
    They're extra slippery right now 'cause of the summer heat.
    Not a motorcycle friendly way to patch up roadways.
    ---------------------------
    Now... bring me that horizon.

Bike
    Former ZX-6R Rider
    shjt when i had a bike turning on them was pretty freaky
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke-

Bike
    2K9 ZX-6R
    i have had a few rear wheel step outs but the odd one or two won't knock you off so long as you are prepared.

good topic Pete... now get back to studying!
    Your Anguish Sustains Me

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    while you are on the subject of getting used to shit
    next time it rains make sure to ride everywhere throttle wide open.
    no

MidniteMan
    westminster hwy westbound between shell and garden city...around there. right lane, position 1............nice LOOOOOOOONG ones there.

not good for newbies .....like me!

Bike
    05 Gixxer 1000 LE Supermoto: 07 DRZ400SM Dirt: 09 Kawasaki KX450F Monster Ed. 07 Custom Chopper
    I hate these fucking piece O shit tar snake thingys! I hit one on the way to Joeys, sure gave me the pucker factor REALLY quick!
    Mayor Of "Poserville"

<----- Current Avatart Is *NWS*

Kawi=Junk™, Honda=Boring™, Suzuki=Wannabes™, Yamaha=Posers™, Ducati=Overrated™, Aprilia=Insecure™, BMW=Compensation™, Harley Davidson=Garbage™, Buell=See Harley™

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    Just watch out for some of the roads with as much tar snake as pavement or more. I know of a couple like this that you really DO need to pick your path or you'll be on so many snakes for so long that it's possible to go down.

The Duffy lake road a couple of years back was also patched by a runaway tar snake nutbar. Something like a half dozen bikes, a car and one police cruiser ended up in the rather large ditch bordering a certain large patch of this goo over the course of a month or so. The highway department was sued succesfully and replaced all the bikes.

But yeah, normally it's good to try a few so you don't freeze up like an iron bar.... or worse..... think you can't turn on them and run off the road for a lack of trying. Good topic
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Bike
    NONE--soon maybe
    i hit one last year coming back from whistler..the big downhill left hander before squamish, it was hot, i was going a little over the indicated speed limit ;-) and the bike slid like 1-2 ft sideways while i was leaning..freaked teh shiat out of me... but it was strangely fun too...!!
    R.I.P. Dan and Cody

Forever in my mind, forever in my thoughts, forever in my heart

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Good post Pete. I've been practicing my turns on gravel corners on the Port Mellon road.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

....Holy snappin arseholes batman,Who was the idiot that came up with those friggin plastic/rubber train crossings?? they are like ice when the're wet