Every Monday: Gelato / Squambucks Ride (New Rider Friendly) - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Every Monday: Gelato / Squambucks Ride (New Rider Friendly)

Bike
    04 SV650
    Monday, May 2nd, Ride is ON!
    Be at the church by 5:50, 2 groups leaving from 6pm
    Your own pace group leaves 1st, New rider friendly (with leader and sweeper) leaves shortly after

All riders are welcome -

Please wear protective gear. It's for your own safety. This is especially strongly suggested for the riders in the new riders group.

St. Davidís United Church:
    1525 Taylor Way, West Vancouver

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/St....95a3b67b?hl=en

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 SV650
    Monday, May 9th, Ride is ON!
    Your own pace group leaves 1st, New rider friendly (with leader and sweeper) leaves shortly after

All riders are welcome -

Please wear protective gear. It's for your own safety. This is especially strongly suggested for the riders in the new riders group.

Bike
    04 SV650
    Monday, May 16th, Ride is ON! - Looks like rain will hold off (if you trust various weather forecasts)

All riders are welcome -

We will go to 2 Lions pub after for some food. It is in North Van, right of Westview exit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    04 SV650
    Monday, May 23rd, Ride is ON! - Looks like cloudy but warmish day
    Be at the church by 1:50, 2 groups leaving from 2pm - NOTE the time. Due to long weekend, we will go early so that we are not caught in the traffic back home

All riders are welcome -

We will go to 2 Lions pub after for some food. It is in North Van, right of Westview exit.

Bike
    04 SV650
    Monday, May 30th, Ride is ON! -

All riders are welcome -

Bike
    Custom zx10r
    Watch out around furry creek ... They're out waiting to poach the
    Group ride today.

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES
    Quote Originally Posted by SmgZX10R View Post
    Watch out around furry creek ... They're out waiting to poach the
    Group ride today.
    aaaand no one listened to you. lol

Bike
    04 SV650
    We did, no one got in trouble on the way there. I was pulled over with another rider as a "random" license and registration check. Officer was nice and we had a short chat. He mentioned if you are caught going 160+ it is automatic roar racing charge along with usual impound and all other fun things. Said Residents are complaining so they have to do more enforcing now. According to him some kid rhubarbed last week there as he went onto shoulder into dirt and gravel (which officer pointed out) and lost it. Once we had our chat he said, when you are ready to go let me know and we'll stop traffic so that you can merge safely. Sure enough they did, and off I went.

Unfortunately on the way back, they crossed the road and nabbed someone at the top of the hill before it goes from 60 to 90 after Brittania mine (after the S curves there that everyone flies through) They had a guy with radar at the bottom of the hill hiding in the bushes and he radioed in to the top of the hill who to pull over.
    Last edited by cvrle1; 05-31-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES
    I heard it was four, not one, that ended up on the flatbed.

... but I'm sure they weren't part of the Gelato group ride.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2009 GSX-R 750
    it always hurts that the sh!tty riders ruin it for the rest of us. I'm sure that kid that went into the shoulder wasn't going 160km and probably not even speeding much. Seen too many riders from this gelato ride barely make it to bucks. That's why I stopped riding with this group. One kid almost took out a pack of us a few years back. He made his way up but lost a mirror and foot peg while at it if I recall correctly lol.

Bike
    04 SV650
    Truth be told I know who 1 was, but in all honesty I didnt know there were 3 more, or who they are. As far as the ride goes, it has grown astronomically over the years, and went rom new rider group to new rider group + 50 more random riders from various groups, and friends of friends. There is no way to control this really, as it is public roads. I cant say to people you cant ride on public roads (like certain someone did to me lol) We told people as loud as we could, residents complained, stop doing stupid things and give us more bad press, there are cops reported, they are waiting for us, slow the eff down. What riders decided to do after I cant really control unfortunately. We can control new rider group and that is what we do. Every one of them comes up and back safe and sound going normal speeds.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    Truth be told I know who 1 was, but in all honesty I didnt know there were 3 more, or who they are. As far as the ride goes, it has grown astronomically over the years, and went rom new rider group to new rider group + 50 more random riders from various groups, and friends of friends. There is no way to control this really, as it is public roads. I cant say to people you cant ride on public roads (like certain someone did to me lol) We told people as loud as we could, residents complained, stop doing stupid things and give us more bad press, there are cops reported, they are waiting for us, slow the eff down. What riders decided to do after I cant really control unfortunately. We can control new rider group and that is what we do. Every one of them comes up and back safe and sound going normal speeds.
    This ride is LEGENDARY.

I loved hearing all about it today from the perspective of my coworker who lives in Squamish and was going home while the "Squambucks TT"
    was on last night.

Sounds like there's a few folks without bikes for the upcoming nice weather weekend.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Bike
    04 SV650
    Everyone knows about enforcement on S2Shitshow. It should be no surprise that police are there and that they are there every week, almost every day. They are at same spot usually as well, and if you get nabbed, not much anyone can do about it. Live and learn i suppose.

I am sure what your coworker told you didnt sound good as usual, which sucks as usual.

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Quote Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
    Everyone knows about enforcement on S2Shitshow.
    Oh I don't know about that. I went on one of these rides, end of the season last year, and was left behind before Horseshoe Bay because I don't do more than 10-15+ on that road.

Not intending to hack on the new rider intent, as there were only one or two new riders and they left well before I. But the idea that everyone knows the S2S is a heat score is proven false time and again.

Kinda sounds like it's become a victim of its own success... is it time to relocate? Nice trip down spanish banks and UBC? I think noob rides are great but this one seems like it's become a monster. Maybe a more pedestrian route will discourage the hooligans from tagging along.
    Last edited by Squint; 05-31-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Bike
    2003 fz-1
    I've been out with the new riders some Mondays and leaving after the rest of the group we run along with the flow of traffic with very little drama. Some cars/trucks get annoyed with me for blocking in the left lane to allow the 4-6 bikes to merge at the end of a 2 lane stretch to keep the cars out of the group of bikes. The new riders sometimes are quite nervous and a cars merging into the bikes is un-settling as many cars cut-in tailgating aggressivly and the new riders lose thier view of the road ahead.

The new rider group is usually 4 to 6 bikes of the 60 to 100 bikes at Squamish with many people that don't start at the church, meet at various spots, ride with various people and so there is a broad cross section of riders representing with a equally broad range of attitudes. Most are reasonable but some are definitely reckless/ inexperienced/ no concept of the consequences of their actions.

Participation is voluntary, we encourage all new riders if they feel the new rider group is to slow, to signal and leave the group. We don't tell people anything other than group ride basic procedure to follow to be safe around others.

I don't mind people passing the group as it shows the new riders that although they may feel they are going so fast, in reality the bikes are capable of much greater speed and it's just a skill to be learned and their perception of speed is more their perspective as a new rider.

I realize schools cannot ride with students for 600 km but this is about the distance many people seem to need to get relaxed at riding on the highway and learn to judge corners for entry line and speed. 4 or 6 times up and down and most people meet other riders at their same level and break off and ride with their new friends. The new rider group stays small and we can have a positive impact.

I don't mind people getting impounded as I can tell new riders about the laws but seeing someone's bike going away on a deck-truck somehow has more of a impact. Also the reality of the 2000 dollar cost for tow, impound,fines, dangerous driver surcharge for 3 years, street racing fine for some, makes a Mission or Pitt-Meadows track day new rider experience very cost efficient. For experienced riders who gamble it's like going to Vegas, your going to lose eventually, big deal.
    Last edited by FZrrr; 06-01-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    What you are We once were---What we are You will be, Voices of the dead.