North East Oregon trip tips needed.

Thread: North East Oregon trip tips needed.

Bike
    BMW R1150 GS

North East Oregon trip tips needed.

I am heading out on Aug 25th to Northeast Oregon (John Day, the Dalles type area).

Looking for any favourite roads, restaurants, motels, bars etc.

I have looked up many fantastic rides reports here and found lots of info.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    It's an excellent area, you'll really enjoy it and as you said there's lots if good info here on that area.

A lot of the roads are great for your GS.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Read the ride reports section here: https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/fo...4-Ride-Reports

Or "Moregon" thread covers pretty much everything you are looking for: https://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...1-MOregon-2015
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    I'm just back from 4 days last week touring thru the area. Sounds like you've done your research, and you can't go wrong anywhere down there. I've done four trips down there now (or is it 5?) in the past 6 or 7 years, and I think most people would agree if I suggested that Antelope to Fossil is the finest ride in the area. My vote for number two is Dooley Mtn, SW of Baker City. And my 'personal favorite' is the Middle Fork of John Day, from 395 (just north of Long Creek) east to the 7/26 junction. I love the flow of the road and the way the surrounding terrain evolves... but be aware the surface is not perfect, there are some cattleguards in corners (not limited to just this road, btw), and there can be livestock about.

The other factor to keep in mind is that there are BIG fires burning right now, including one SW of Baker City, and a couple west of Madras. Road closures are a possibility. Stay in touch with the Oregon Dept of Transportation site: https://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp#
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    Shaniko --> Fossil. Repeat.

Bike
    BMW R1150 GS
    thanks for the info doser, as long as the smoke is bearable I will head that direction. I might bas myself in The Dalles or something like that and ride loops or maybe not. There is no real plan other than the general area.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    for The Dalles, depending on your taste and budget, I stayed in the Oregon Motor Motel, right downtown. older and no pool, but clean and comfy with good wifi. $60 plus tax. the other downtown motel is The Dalles Inn ( with pool) - I price checked them, and a single is $99 per nite, but they should offer you $89. both are within walking distance of the downtown eateries. Clocktower Brews is right around the corner. Mama Janes (for bkfst) is about 5 blocks away.

there's some good but ignored riding right outside The Dalles. Sevenmile Hill Rd crosses the heights west of town and is delightful. Fifteen Mile Rd and Emerson Loop Rd and their connectors are SE of town and pass thru wonderful valleys and farms.

if you base in John Day (more central), some have stayed in the Best Western, with good reports. I like Dreamers Lodge, 'local' but clean and comfy. The Outpost is a good eatery, right across the lane.

on my recent trip, I was impressed by how clean and prosperous Heppner seemed to be, compared to many of the other 'past-best-before' little towns in this corner of the state.

Baker City is the 'big city', with lots of amenities and attractions, but it's busy in the summer, so check ahead for availability if you're thinking of overniting there. I've stayed in 3 places there, and prefer the Best Western, which is reasonably priced and has a good in-house restaurant and bar.

you'll have a great trip - just can't go wrong, pretty much anywhere you ride or stay.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    We just got back from doing something similar a few weeks ago. In The Dalles, can't recommend the Baldwin Saloon enough. Great room and really good food - order the prime rib, you won't regret it!

Timid adventurer Array
    Bike
    2012 Ducati Multistrada
    Heppner to Condon was my favourite ride.