Race Tires Reviews
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Race Tires Reviews

Team No Team Array
    Bike
    CRF450X

Race Tires Reviews

Kinda like the tire review with the sticky, but this thread is strictly for race / track-day only tires. I'm going to jack Bruce's format, hope he doesn't mind, cause it worked purdy good...

Here's the format...
    --------------------------------------
    Maker-
    Model-
    Size- Front- Rear- (if you only bougt one fill in one)
    Installed on- (your bike description)
    Ridden for________ Kms
    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-__
    Comments-

I saw a lot of Pirelli Supercorsa's out there, but just wondering what everyone has used in the past, and characteristics especially, like how long to warm up, turn in, profile, slides controllably, etc. etc.

Thanks!

Oh and pics of the tread would be super as well!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Canon 1ds3 1d4
    Maker-pirelli
    Model-super corsa
    Size- Front- Rear- 120/60 180/55
    Installed on- 00 r6
    Ridden for 30km
    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1
    Comments- these tires are a treat. profiled to fall into the corners fast. they provide a huge amount of grip leaned over and upright. I was able to do things on these tires i didnt think myself capable of doing. and they held without question. Under braking they felt planted (though my brakes wernt exactly up to par) They warm up fast, and stay warm for a long time. But you really want to ride them hard to get em to a propper temp. Never made them slide, yet. need to play some more on them.
    no

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,

Re: Race Tires Reviews

Maker-Metzler
    Model- Rennsport Race
    Size- Front- 120/70-17 Rear- 160/60-17
    Installed on- Bad ass Honda 600F2 with suspension mods
    Ridden for 4 track days at Spokane
    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-_1_
    Comments- The bike setup for suspension in terms of mods should be included.

Soft rear and supersoft front. A popular combination.

Racetech fork springs and 15W oil. Honda F3 rear shock with stock spring. The tires are better than me. I'm currently running the bike harder than I did with the street D207's but I have more capability in the tires yet to explore. No slides at all that I've noticed but so far I'm only running something like 10% harder than I ever ran on the street rubber

PS: I should also add that at my present pace and after these 4 days of Spokane and a very short timed T&T at Mission the tires are wearing very little. If the heat cycle demon doesn't become an issue I figure I've got another good 4 to 6 solid Spokane style track days in these tires. That'll easily take me through the end of the season in fine style and means that I'm running at about $80 to $65 a day. However I'll replace them for next season regardless of how many or few days I do this year. Don't want to start on age hardened tires next year. I certainly wouldn't expect this life out of them in the hands of a solid performing racer but at my fun level the life is excellent and performace solid and confidence inspiring.
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Maker-Metzler
    Model- Rennsport
    Size- Front 120/70 - Rear- 190/50
    Installed on- Suzuki TL1000R
    Ridden for 2 track days at Spokane
    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1
    Comments-

Awesome tire, i'm running hard/street compound on both front and rear. Stuck like a fly on poo. Heat up super fast, and also very light tires. I'm also running these on the street, hence the reason for the hard/street compound. I'm not expecting these to last long on the street though. I picked up a nail in the pits of spokane in my rear, so now i've switched to a supercorsa rear *read below post*
    BCSB- Moderator

Bike
    Maker-Pirelli
    Model- Supercorsa
    Size- Rear- 180/55
    Ridden for 1 track day at Mission
    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1.5
    Comments-

Again, another sticky tire. I'm again running hard/street compound. From what i've been told, this is the exact same compound and design as the Metzler Rennsport, the only difference being the tread design. I went down 1 tire size to see the difference it made in handling, the tire turns in quicker than the 190/50, but doesn't feel quite right. It doesn't feel as stable as the larger tire, thus i have less confidence on the smaller size. Maybe it has to do with stretching the smaller tire onto a larger rim than it was not intended for, i dunno. I'll be switching back to a 190/50 Supercorsa hard/street compound after this one, i'd rather muscle the bike in the corners and control it myself instead of letting the bike fall over with ease and ride itself. I'm running the 120/70 Rennsport on the front tire at the same time. I gave it a 0.5 reading worse than the rennsport only cause of the 180/55 tire size that i didn't like, but it's pretty much the exact same tire.
    BCSB- Moderator

Team No Team Array
    Bike
    CRF450X
    So far all Pirella Supercorsas / Metzeler Rennsports!! Sounds like the definitive choice. Stykman runs 'em as well.

Chancellor of Horsepower Array
    Bike
    FYI (for those who didn't know), Rennsport Race and Supercorsas are the exact same tire but for tread design (i.e. same carcass, same compound). Both tires are made by the same people. I have used both Rennsport Race and Supercorasa and have not been able to distinguish performance characteristics between the two.

Bike
    04 Ducati Multistrada
    Maker-Pirelli
    Model-SC1 and SC2 race
    Size- Front- 120/70-17 Rear- 180/55-17
    Installed on- Duc. 900SS and SV650
    Ridden for ??? Who has a speedometer??
    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible-_1_
    Comments- I've been running Pirelli's for 4 years now, and every year they seem to get better. I would recomend the SC1 for the front and SC2 for the rear.

The rear will last you about one race weekend if you are hard on it and the front doesn't seem to wear!!! Don't buy old stock, Pirelli is constantly upgrading these tires and you want the most current compound that they have. I recomend buying them only from the track vendors as they get the freshest tires. Expect to pay US$350 for a pair or just under $600 CAN.

Bike
    Zx6 07, Crf 450r, Yz250f
    Maker- Dunlop
    Model- 208gp Soft
    Size- Front- 120/70-17 Rear- 180/55-17
    Installed on- 00 R6 front springs .95 with race tech kit. Revalved rear shock, stock spring 25mm race sag. Rider 200 lb with gear.
    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 2

I ran these all last year, I had no beef, they worked well and lasted quite a bit longer than the Pirelli's, The one thing that I did notice between the Dunnys and the Pirelli SC, were the very radical profile of the dunnys, it would allow the bike to fall in to the turn much faster than the Pirelli's.

I have run both brands, but I am still having a tough time with the performances of both tyres. I don't have enough experience with the pirreli's to make a choice yet. One thing that I keep thinking about is $$$, the Dunlops do last longer and because I am in this just for fun, I favour the Dunlops, but who know, that may all change.

VPR
    Maker-DUNLOP
    Model.-slicks.....rain/medium/soft
    what ever i can get for RS125 Honda.....haha

these have always been used since 1988..... BRAND that is ...haha

I find them very predictable and exact for conditions and grip.

.... dunlop also has an excellent support is the races. they support the top 5 in the race wins and pay out so you can go back and get more new tires.

....not only do I like them but they pay me to use them.

either way I will use Dunlop as I have many years of good feelings using all different types of Dunlops.

........now if I could get a job from them I would have more work and a great connection for fellow racers.....

Bike
    04 Kawi Z1000,
    With all the intrest in track schools and doing track days I think this is a very worthwhile thread to keep around. I'm putting a sticky on it for now and perhaps later it'll go to the articles area.

Good topic pick lowprofile.....
    A backyard mechanic without a service manual is just like a hooker without a lamp pole.... they are both in the dark.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    09 ZX10R
    I have used both Pirelli supercorsas, and Dunlop's GP 208's, I have also and am currently using Michelin Pilot race 2. I have put in alot of laps at Mission on all these tyres, and for me on my RC 51 the Michelin's have performed the best, they have stuck so well, and have lasted, they turn in with confidense, and hold the line really really well, I can't say enough about them. Their Brillliant

on my bike i have ridden only supercorsas or rennsports and my comments are the same as above

but i have ridden bikes with 208gps, and Pilot Races, the main difference i noted is the same as jumby, the profile is very radical compared to the scs or renns

the bike will fall into corners alot faster but with the profile, they are also a little stabler at full lean, i didnt really notice a difference in breaking like i would expect with the narrow profile, but thats prob cause i dont break that hard compared to alot of people

but i like the way the SC profile is more nuetral, suits my laid back riding style more

Bike
    Maker-Metzler
    Model- Rennsport sc2
    Size- Rear- 190/55
    Ridden for 2 track days at Spokane
    Rating- 1/Excellent to 5/Terrible- 1.0++
    Comments-

Like the above reviews, sticks awesome. I went with this tire cause of the 55 profile but a 190 contact patch, and let me say, this profile is the CATS ass! turns likes a 180/55, but friggin unbelievably stable at full lean compared to the 180/55, I felt so much confidence on this tire compared to the 180/55, that i was able to give her much more gas and much more eariler on in the corners.... I'm gonna be sticking with this profile for now.... it's a shame nobody makes this profile in street tires, cause it's waYYY better than the 190/50 for cornering and better than stretching a 180/55 onto a 6" rim which changes the profile and makes it not as stable.

Here's a comparo pic of the profiles

Back View

Top View
    BCSB- Moderator

Track Day Wh0re Array eg_hybrid's Avatar
    Bike
    All the kings horses
    Michelin Pilot Sport Race's (soft/soft) NOS
    !WARM THESE UP!
    Lost the back end big time going on the entry into turn 2 at SPR (3rd gear 120kmh + i think).

Need at least 3 hot laps to before you can go full tilt.
    Otherwise these things are the cats ass. Have amazing stick when they're in the reccomended op temp.