Yamaha MWT-9 - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 96

Thread: Yamaha MWT-9

  1. #16
    Registered Luser Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Rock
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    I love it. There's all kinds of tilter configurations that work (or kinda work). There's even nomenclature - 2F3T, etc.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilting_three-wheeler
    These things have obvious advantages when traction runs out. No reason they can't be just as quick or quicker than sport bikes.
    I like that they steer like motorcycles instead of snowmobiles a la the spyder.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User Array BugMagnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Delta BC
    Bike
    2014 Suzuki DL1000A
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    I like that they steer like motorcycles instead of snowmobiles a la the spyder.
    There will be a limitation on this, there can be only so much lean angle with two wheels up front. What happens when the corner exceeds this? I guess you crash.

    Maybe it's fine, or maybe it's like riding a Harley, when you get to that maximum lean angle, it just doesn't go any further.

  4. #18
    Formerly kanelupis Array CanaganD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Bike
    K1300R
    Sounds like it would be a good commuter bike, in the rain.

    These Piaggios are actually quite popular, so I could understand a market that would want a more powerful version of that:


  5. #19
    Registered User Array filterwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    langley
    Bike
    r1200gsw
    Quote Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
    There will be a limitation on this, there can be only so much lean angle with two wheels up front. What happens when the corner exceeds this? I guess you crash.

    Maybe it's fine, or maybe it's like riding a Harley, when you get to that maximum lean angle, it just doesn't go any further.
    I know nothing about Piaggios but some people on other forums are claiming that once you learn to ride them they out corner conventional motorcycles....I will take that with a grain of forum salt for sure but Yamaha is claiming maximum lean angle with the forks only on the outside......?If this thing goes into production the first review will be interesting

  6. #20
    Moderator Array CHIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New West
    Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by filterwrench View Post
    If this thing goes into production the first review will be interesting
    Huge *IF*.......I see little to no market for this bike today......Honda DN-01 type success, yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!
    .

    ** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **


  7. #21
    Registered Luser Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Rock
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by BugMagnet View Post
    There will be a limitation on this, there can be only so much lean angle with two wheels up front. What happens when the corner exceeds this? I guess you crash.

    Maybe it's fine, or maybe it's like riding a Harley, when you get to that maximum lean angle, it just doesn't go any further.
    In theory, theres almost no limit to lean angle on these. In practice you just limit it to the edge of the tire. There's no traction after that anyway. When I say they steer like a motorcye one of the things I mean is that just like a motorcycle a given lean angle will describe a different arc depending on speed. If you find yourself overcooking a corner at max lean you just slow down - something easier said than done on a two wheeler.
    You could still lock the fronts and under steer right off the road. You could also theoretically high side the thing. The only thing you really couldn't do is tuck the front. So lots of ways to crash still. Although I imagine a stability control implementation to eliminate some of the risks would be relatively easy on one of these compared to a two wheeler.

  8. #22
    Registered Luser Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Rock
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by filterwrench View Post
    I know nothing about Piaggios but some people on other forums are claiming that once you learn to ride them they out corner conventional motorcycles....I will take that with a grain of forum salt for sure but Yamaha is claiming maximum lean angle with the forks only on the outside......?If this thing goes into production the first review will be interesting
    I think one of the limiting factors on lean angle with these things is the bunching of components between the front wheels as it leans over, hence forks on the outside.

  9. #23
    Registered User Array filterwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    langley
    Bike
    r1200gsw
    This one has found max lean....I think Yamaha is going to improve on this....
    Attached Images  

  10. #24
    Registered Luser Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Rock
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    ^great pic. I stand corrected. You could tuck the front on one. Looks like it would take some doing though.

  11. #25
    Registered User Array scubaphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Downtown
    Bike
    99 R6
    I've ridden the mp3 which my friend owns. The fact you don't need to shift, cornering and riding marine drive was a breeze.
    The only issue is this, what demographics are you trying to hit?

    Can-Am = ride with your wife to interior for a good rip.
    MP3 = more comfy day to day. I mean, if you want to go for a picnic, it's perfect. Take your gf for a 1 hr ride, mp3 is the way to go.
    this one... Full rider will always get a 2 wheel, this is too much of a hybrid and doesn't hit any niche market.
    If jack helped you off a horse would you help jack off a horse??

    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

  12. #26
    Moderator Array CHIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New West
    Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by filterwrench View Post
    This one has found max lean....I think Yamaha is going to improve on this....
    And at that point, what benefit does it have when the outside wheel is off the ground, it's limited to 2 wheels again.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!
    .

    ** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **


  13. #27
    Registered Luser Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    White Rock
    Bike
    2008 fat kaw
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    And at that point, what benefit does it have when the outside wheel is off the ground, it's limited to 2 wheels again.
    yep, but i'm guessing it's a much more forgiving situation than a can am with the inside wheel off the ground.

    check out yamaha's tilting 4 wheeler testbed they just released video of
    http://www.gizmag.com/yamaha-or2t-prototype/40229/

    the niche question is a good point. maybe the tilter just kills the can am. all the stability and confidence with none of the weird handling.

  14. #28
    Moderator Array CHIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New West
    Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    yep, but i'm guessing it's a much more forgiving situation than a can am with the inside wheel off the ground.

    check out yamaha's tilting 4 wheeler testbed they just released video of
    http://www.gizmag.com/yamaha-or2t-prototype/40229/

    the niche question is a good point. maybe the tilter just kills the can am. all the stability and confidence with none of the weird handling.
    My feeling is the 3 wheeler is just a unique motorcycle, and the CanAm is a ski-doo on wheels.

    One offers a different take on a bike, and the other simply gets you in the open air, with very little motorcycle properties/fundamentals.

    That's not to say one is better or worse, and frankly, the CanAm is the one that probably attracts the new customers, the 3 wheeler is
    less of a departure and is probably more attractive to riders who had traditional roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!
    .

    ** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **


  15. #29
    Registered User Array filterwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    langley
    Bike
    r1200gsw
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    And at that point, what benefit does it have when the outside wheel is off the ground, it's limited to 2 wheels again.
    At that point you go back to the drawing board and come up with a diffrent front end......

  16. #30
    Registered User Array Mechannibalism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    east van
    Bike
    '87 GPZ 400 '87 GSXR 400
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    And at that point, what benefit does it have when the outside wheel is off the ground, it's limited to 2 wheels again.
    At that point you go back to the drawing board and come up with a diffrent front end......
    and...wouldn't each front wheel have to be at different lean angles because they are at different radius in a corner?
    You're just a crackpot till you hit the jackpot - Wernher von Braun

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •