Advertisements

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    I hope its lighter, even 25lbs would be a big improvement
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    ZX14
    Doubt it will be any lighter, nice small updates. Sure been happy with mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    Any bike can be made lighter, but, it is always a trade off. What would be lost? What would it cost?

@ $10 per pound, how much weight would the average customer be willing to lose? (lighter battery?)

@ $20?

@ $50?

The FJR is what it is.

An fjr that weighed 25% less would, no doubt, cost double.
    Last edited by Pea Souper; 12-02-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    looks like it will do amazing in the twisties

Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post

An fjr that weighed 25% less would, no doubt, cost double.
    i seriously doubt that... manufacturer's stick with little changes as cost of upgrading machinery, materials is too great compared to a tried and true method, keep pumping the same shit year in, year out
    is how you keep costs down... but this does not mean you would double the cost on every bike by making 'em lighter, better materials used, mass centralization and all that jazz; at least i certainly hope
    not. i think at a certain point manufacturers leave things as is on heavier bike simply by thinking 'well its no sport-bike so it must be heavy', ship it as is

i'm sure its just cheaper, more cost effective to design new bikes the buying public will love instead ofputting $$ onto an older model just cause fans think they're too heavy..

the onis will always fall on the owner to make the best of a package.

straight out of this very article!!

Most of the big Japanese and European manufacturers have shifted their focus to the adventure market, and have either chosen not to update their sport-touring line, or have eliminated it all together.
    Last edited by bacchus40; 12-06-2015 at 01:02 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    looks like it will do amazing in the twisties

i seriously doubt that... manufacturer's stick with little changes as cost of upgrading machinery, materials is too great compared to a tried and true method, keep pumping the same shit year in, year out
    is how you keep costs down... but this does not mean you would double the cost on every bike by making 'em lighter, better materials used, mass centralization and all that jazz; at least i certainly hope
    not. i think at a certain point manufacturers leave things as is on heavier bike simply by thinking 'well its no sport-bike so it must be heavy', ship it as is

i'm sure its just cheaper, more cost effective to design new bikes the buying public will love instead ofputting $$ onto an older model just cause fans think they're too heavy..

the onis will always fall on the owner to make the best of a package.

straight out of this very article!!

Most of the big Japanese and European manufacturers have shifted their focus to the adventure market, and have either chosen not to update their sport-touring line, or have eliminated it all together.
    I see your point(s).

I just ran out to my FJR with a magnet, not much it sticks to but the bolts and exhaust. I doubt 25%could be shaved off the bike without losing structural integrity and reliability.

Time will tell.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post
    I see your point(s).

I just ran out to my FJR with a magnet, not much it sticks to but the bolts and exhaust.
    ahhh!! the magnet test!! very good, but yeah i'm with you at least in thinking 25% is a lot of weight to drop

without harping too much on the zx14 my buddy just got, its LIGHTER than the FJR by a hundred lbs!, has a lot more gadgets in the electronics department... and its also CHEAPER!

i'm pretty sure it passes the magnet test as well.. my only point being Economics is a funny rule to toss at any specific motorcycle as an excuse to not improve said package.

as you have so pointedly said, time will tell... what if riding interests change with time? roads improve along with speed limits and relaxed policing on roadways?

the market will respond to these changes and i bet you in 5 years something like an FJR will in fact weigh (at least 10% less) and cost a hell of a lot less than we think it should...
    Last edited by bacchus40; 12-06-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    ahhh!! the magnet test!! very good, but yeah i'm with you at least in thinking 25% is a lot of weight to drop

without harping too much on the zx14 my buddy just got, its LIGHTER than the FJR by a hundred lbs!, has a lot more gadgets in the electronics department... and its also CHEAPER!

i'm pretty sure it passes the magnet test as well.. my only point being Economics is a funny rule to toss at any specific motorcycle as an excuse to not improve said package.

as you have so pointedly said, time will tell... what if riding interests change with time? roads improve along with speed limits and relaxed policing on roadways?

the market will respond to these changes and i bet you in 5 years something like an FJR will in fact weigh (at least 10% less) and cost a hell of a lot less than we think it should...
    So true.

For years it has been said "Their is not a piece of metal (or plastic) on a modern car, where the technology for that metal is over 5 years old"

It will be exciting to watch.

Ride safe folks.

Bike
    ZX14
    without harping too much on the zx14 my buddy just got, its LIGHTER than the FJR by a hundred lbs!, has a lot more gadgets in the electronics department.
    NO shaft drive (added weight), no factory luggage (added weight), no heavier duty subframe (added weight), no larger fairings and powered windscreen (added weight), larger tank ( added weight).

I'm probably missing more, but am no expoert, just pointing out the obvious stuff.

I think the new FJR has pretty much all the gadgets and some, no?

Anyway, who cares, the ZX14 is not even comparable, it's a fat supersport, not a skinny sport touring bike. Until you have ALL the creature comforts and benefits, including ergos, range, 2-up comfort,
    weather protection, etc, there's no point comparing.

Yes, you can added high bars, racks, basic luggage, a taller windscreen, lower pegs, Connie seat, heated grips, and a few other weight inducing, and tour friendly items to the ZX14, but it will
    not be a Connie or an FJR, it will be a heavier and slightly more comfy ZX14, with extra benefits to some people, but not enough for most.

If you want to compare, look at the FJR vs the Connie, that's at least apples to apples.

You wanna compare the ZX14 to anything, it's called Hayabusa, another fat supersport. Nothing against either, they are well respected high performance bikes.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post
    You wanna compare the ZX14 to anything, it's called Hayabusa, another fat supersport. Nothing against either, they are well respected high performance bikes.
    i figured that is how the post would come across.. and it may not be the greatest comparison but then it wasnt meant to be one...

i'm looking at it from the perspective that for most everything you would want a bike for there are bigger bikes which do not weigh as much which can easily achieve 75% of the capabilities of an dedicated "sport tourer"..

some people really dont sit there and beat upon a dead horse just to prove to themselves the worth of this or other bike... its a motorcycle which has gotten long on the tooth,

but its got a following so Yamaha is happy to ride the wave as long as its humanly possible until they're forced to upgrade... and yes i expected you to to mention the stock saddlebags, thanks for not disappointing

i guess i just dont have enough time to take an absurdly fvcking long arse trip which would actually necessitate such a bike... for me the sport touring segment does in fact begin with the Hayabusa and ZX14R..

and this is where i get seriously confused, big bikes like the zx14 do have all the comforts of long range, comfortable riding, two up, wind protection etc... again it really comes down to where the fvck you think you're going to ride to? if you expect snow and hail and cold wet miserable weather you should probably just stay the fvck home as no bike will be good enough to keep you happy... at least that does not sound like an enjoyable ride to me, i personally try to avoid monsoons when touring; i just wont be bothered to freak out about an extra inch or two of parings aka protection here and there,..

hell you may as well start bragging about heated grips, i'm completely lost as is
    Last edited by bacchus40; 12-06-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    I see the discussion circling around a segment tat doesn't exist yet, which I wish it would, which is the 600lb Super Sport Touring class. The Connie is 700lbs, the FJR 650lbs, the Ninja 1000 500lbs. There is no middle ground bike.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    I see the discussion circling around a segment tat doesn't exist yet, which I wish it would, which is the 600lb Super Sport Touring class. The Connie is 700lbs, the FJR 650lbs, the Ninja 1000 500lbs. There is no middle ground bike.
    On the flip side, there's never been an instance where I have said to myself or others, "I wish my bike was 100lbs lighter so I could....." Or "If my bike was only lighter, I could.....".

The weight has not personally limited me or been a compromise in any situation, so much that I wished for a big change. Perhaps more fatiguing on a long day of super tight roads n NorCal, but hey, first world problems.

That all said, absolutely love to see that weight gone, but it is what it is, so no choice but to love it or leave it, debate is pointless.

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **

Bike
    RC
    I think the heavier the bike the less it's affected when you strap your touring gear on. So a bike like the FJR will ride consistently laden or not.

When I push my VFR around the shed it feels like a whale but when riding it feels as nimble as any bike, bags on or not.

A light tourer loaded up the same as you're used to will be way more likely to feel blah compared to bareback.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    I see the discussion circling around a segment tat doesn't exist yet, which I wish it would, which is the 600lb Super Sport Touring class. The Connie is 700lbs, the FJR 650lbs, the Ninja 1000 500lbs.
    my thoughts exactly!! this is pretty much the main thing that has kept me away from a 'touring machine'... they're just too damn heavy, and at least for me I find them rather uncomfortable..

but it is what it is, so no choice but to love it or leave it, debate is pointless.
    yup.. pretty much where i ended up, once i start considering what actually touring with such a machine would allow, you start pushing the scales pretty damn quickly and at least for me 2-3 weeks out of the year where i can take advantage of it is just not enough of a lure to make me want to purchase one... alas you're right 1st world problems really, so many choices; so little time.

to be honest the only thing that had me scratching my head from your post above is it sounds like you prefer a shaft drive rather than chain? I wasnt even looking at those comparisons but since you bring it up, i've never personally owned a shaft driven bike, what are the benefits? I'm aware of the cons but then i'm coming from a world of super-sport bikes and dirt/trial bikes
    Last edited by bacchus40; 12-07-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    On the flip side, there's never been an instance where I have said to myself or others, "I wish my bike was 100lbs lighter so I could....." Or "If my bike was only lighter, I could.....".

The weight has not personally limited me or been a compromise in any situation, so much that I wished for a big change. Perhaps more fatiguing on a long day of super tight roads n NorCal, but hey, first world problems.

That all said, absolutely love to see that weight gone, but it is what it is, so no choice but to love it or leave it, debate is pointless.
    Careful CHIA, slightly dismissive.

Ride safe folks.