Riding Alone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riding Alone

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Riding Alone

nice article out of Road Runner magazine, which discusses the pros and cons of riding with others vs riding alone. as an oft-solo tourer, I found the author's points relevant and resonant.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2015/12...eid=3c12e58d6d

p.s. Road Runner is a mag I subscribe to, mainly to glean travel destination information. it's low key, 'family' rooted, and non technical, and over the years it has stimulated quite a few trip ideas for me... some of which I've done solo!
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    Duc Panigale 1299s
    That was a good article. I have taken many single day solo trips and enjoyed myself.

Bike
    KTM 1290 Super Duke
    Good read Doser..... Many items I agree on in regards to riding alone.

Thanks for the share.

Cheers,
    LAH

WMRC #715

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    CBR600RR
    The best motorcycle trips I have ever taken have been alone.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Posing with conviction Array heisenberg9's Avatar
    Bike
    anyone I can lean against
    Yes, excellent and brief article. He has hit on all the important points, as far as I can tell.

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    The best motorcycle trips I have ever taken have been alone.
    You just crushed the hearts of many.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Lots of aggravation with group rides. Even two.

Nothing better than the open road on your own. Is it summer yet?

Bike
    2006 K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by doser View Post
    nice article out of Road Runner magazine, which discusses the pros and cons of riding with others vs riding alone. as an oft-solo tourer, I found the author's points relevant and resonant.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2015/12...eid=3c12e58d6d

p.s. Road Runner is a mag I subscribe to, mainly to glean travel destination information. it's low key, 'family' rooted, and non technical, and over the years it has stimulated quite a few trip ideas for me... some of which I've done solo!
    Is a sporty solo ride though the mountain twisties called a 'fasterbation'?
    I define Hell as having to ride back and forth from Blaine to Tijuana on I - 5 in perpetuity.

Registered User Array SuperSlab's Avatar
    Bike
    2006 GSX-R750
    Certainly resonates with me. In 45-plus years of riding I have probably ridden alone more than 90% of the time/distance. In that respect I believe that many sportbike riders share many of the character traits generally ascribed to (selfish, arrogant, self centered) fighter pilots.

And when I say "alone" I mean one bike, not necessarily just one person. While >90% of my riding has been one bike, I would think that the majority of that riding has been two up with my wife. And even that is selfish: that means I don't have to share the company of the best person in the whole world with anybody else: it is just the two of us.

And if you think that sounds sappy: well tough on you: I really do not give a sh... I mean I do not care.

See: I am selfish and self centered after all.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    We all know, when riding, that we are supposed to 'ride our own ride'.

I don't try to keep up with riders, riding above my comfort zone, and I do not follow riders going too slow for my taste.

When riding with a group it as more important to have set meeting places than it is to stick together on the road.

Riding is solo, even in a group.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post
    We all know, when riding, that we are supposed to 'ride our own ride'.

I don't try to keep up with riders, riding above my comfort zone, and I do not follow riders going too slow for my taste.

When riding with a group it as more important to have set meeting places than it is to stick together on the road.

Riding is solo, even in a group.
    this is all true! and yet... and yet...

we all get out on the road and we just HAVE to follow whoever is setting the pace out front, eh? ( well, we DON'T, but it's hard to resist.) that can end up very badly, but it can also be totally glorious - who can deny the pleasure of following a fast rider thru a twisty road, ducking and weaving, throwing the bike from turn to turn, feeling a combination of fear and exhilaration, having a bike on the road in front setting the pace but focusing on the road, not the bike, just 'carrying' it in our peripheral vision and a corner of our mind... at its best, following can get to be like a real-world video game, unworldly, detached from reality... flowing, swooping, gassing, braking, judging, doing... awesome!

I ride alone a lot, and I love it.

I follow a lot, and I love it.

( I don't lead very much, but from the occasions I've done so, I'd say that's a REALLY hard skill to master. I've only encountered I think maybe two riders who I think have it together enough to ride fast but to simultaneously 'see' what's happening to the group behind them and to adjust to that. that turns "all riding solo" into a true group ride... rare indeed!)
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Registered User Array filterwrench's Avatar
    Bike
    r1200gsw
    I find there are 2 types of group rides.....one that sets meet up points and everyone rides at their own pace or have fun chasing the lead bike.....and ...... the traditional group ride with a designated leader and a sweep with the group focus on riding in a group pattern......the latter being a little boring for me...

Bike
    N/A
    I love riding alone...it's a great way to get lost and "find" yourself. Long hard rides let you know what you're made of.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    The more I read the article, the more I really see why riding solo on trips really works for me. Granted there are other joys that come from group trips.. I think that you get something else out of those types of excursions. It's the comraderie in those instances.

A very good point about being aware when you are alone. I've been riding through California and thought to myself... the great equalizer is realizing that if you go off the road and down the ravine, nobody will find you for a long, long time...
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSXR1000, 2012 KTM SMT990, 2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC SE, 2014 BMW HP4 Carbon Competition, 2006 Honda VT1100, 2010 KTM 300 XC-W, 2016 Honda CRF50F, 2015 Honda CRF230F, A320 when on the line...
    Interesting read. I rarely ride solo other than for short trips such as up and down Baker or for running errands. I did a solo day trip last summer and enjoyed it but still find the best situation is one or two very select riding partners to go with. Generally riders that are around your same skill set and pace and you enjoy having as company. Nothing beats carving some corners and then having a buddy to talk about how much fun it was with over lunch. I used to do a lot of group rides and met some great friends via this site but more often of late it turned into shit shows with either incompetent riders crashing or just chaos trying to keep people together and organized with some real asshats showing up. .
    Mach tuck?!