Looking for some idea's for places to go in SoCal

Thread: Looking for some idea's for places to go in SoCal

Bike
    2001 zx-12r 2009 drz400sm 2003 Ktm 525sx 2007 yzf-r1

Looking for some idea's for places to go in SoCal

Heading down to LA March 1st to ride for a week and I am looking for some inspiration.
    I am toying with the idea of heading from Huntinton beach over the mountains east then up To Bullhead city and on up to the lake of fire and back across to death valley then back down to LA but I need some more idea's.
    Infidels Rule!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    Have you tried a local L.A. sportbike forum?
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    Have you tried a local L.A. sportbike forum?
    No but I might have a look. Know any good ones?
    Infidels Rule!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2013 CB1100
    Try socalsportbikes.org

It's one of the biggest, I don't know about the best.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    I've ridden So Cal a couple times early season, and you don't have to go far to have a blast. However, that early, some of the higher roads will be gritty, or even still closed (thinking Angeles Crest especially). And the weather can still be unstable.

as for what to ride, from west to east:

* a bit far west, but hwy 33 north of Ojai has a great reputation for a reason!
    * there are plenty of little canyons above Malibu (including the famous Mulholland Drive), but I was not overwhelmed - they're short, super-twisty, and have plenty of residence entries. I thought Latigo Canyon was the best of those we rode.
    * all 3 roads in the hills north of Santa Clarita (Lake Elizabeth, San Francisquito, and Bouquet) are really good
    * Sand Canyon / Little Tujunga Canyon is super-twisty
    * Big Tujunga Canyon (esp the Upper section, towards Angeles Crest) is ridiculously fast, on perfect pavement; and the continuation towards Palmdale stays good
    * Angeles Crest is the classic: long, fast, demanding... but it's really high too, so might still be closed in the centre when you get there.
    * Big Pines hwy, off Angeles Crest from near Wrightwood back towards Palmdale. is good
    * San Gabriel Canyon road is best in its upper sections, where it climbs to meet Glendora Ridge Rd
    * Glendora Mtn Rd (!): ride up, ride down, ride up, ride down, repeat till exhausted...
    * Glendora Ridge Rd: narrow, technical, not perfect pavement, but in an unbelievable position. recommended.

further east, above San Bernardino:
    * CA138 from I-15 up to Crestline has a couple ridiculously entertaining sections
    * the Rim of the World from Crestline across to Big Bear Lake is a great road with an awesome view, but there's quite a bit of traffic
    * CA 38 between Mentone and Big Bear Lake is superb (probably better uphill than downhill?)

and way off in the east:
    * CA 243 from Banning to Idyllwild, and onwards via CA 74 down into Palm Desert is really really good

I've not ridden anything further south, in the hills between LA and San Diego, but the maps show lots of great looking lines...

If you wanted to go a bit further afield, all the roads in the hills north and east of Bakersfield, up to Lake Isabella, are good, even the 'not highlighted' side roads south of Woody, etc. Caliente - Bodfish; Kern River Canyon; CA 155 is one of my favorites... and I love Kernville as a stopping-off town...

buy the Butler So Cal map, and ride anything coloured up!

p.s. the desert loop would be good too - just don't expect much twistiness! but big numbers on the speedometer could readily be obtained...
    Last edited by doser; 02-27-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Bike
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a look at some of those.I have already ridden many of those roads,but some I have not.
    I'm just wondering how cold it will be up in the mountains by Big Bear Lake this time of year? Do they get much snow up there?
    Last edited by XdtesZombie; 02-27-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    Infidels Rule!

Bike
    zx14 Ninja, MV Agusta 1078 Brutale and a Kawasaki Concours

Wink SoCal

[I]
    Quote Originally Posted by XdtesZombie View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a look at some of those.I have already ridden many of those roads,but some I have not.
    I'm just wondering how cold it will be up in the mountains by Big Bear Lake this time of year? Do they get much snow up there?

I have done the Big Bear twice, on the bike, in the last 4 weeks. It is good to go! Its pretty high, hits 8000 feet, but then again its too hot in Palm Springs , over 90 today, so the coolness is appreciated. Heated gear is NOT required this time of year.
    The road was pretty clean, but you have to be careful if it has rained ( a rare event these days) a few days prior to a ride, as sand can be washed onto the road. The high desert in the mountains is cooler and also has the best roads.

I have done highway 74 ( mentioned above) out of Palm Desert every week for the past 2 months as its an awesomely fun access route to Idylwild and to many excellent rides further south around Julian, Mount Palimar and Borego Springs and other destinations.

Bike
    zx14 Ninja, MV Agusta 1078 Brutale and a Kawasaki Concours
    Sorry, just noticed you were coming down in the first week of March!!!! So my post is irrelevant!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by hank100 View Post
    Sorry, just noticed you were coming down in the first week of March!!!! So my post is irrelevant!
    Not really I will be back....soon
    Infidels Rule!

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by hank100 View Post
    not at all! posts like this are great for people looking for info on areas they've never ridden but want to explore.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1962 Honda C110 Super Sports Cub

Take the 1

Always take the 1. So scenic.