DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post
    You can't pass anything on a 300 IMHO
    Well you can but you need some planning and momentum. I'd cringe at the idea of having to pass 3 or 4 consecutive rv's over a broken yellow somewhere... that could be sketchy.
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Registered User Array Commuter Boy's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Bandit
    That's horseshit. A 300 - 400cc bike will have no problems on the road, and will do just fine on tighter layout track days.

I went down in size a couple times. From a big 1000cc BMW sport touring K100RS down to a Honda V4 400 to a Ninja 250.

Family financial pressure and all, and only able to afford having one bike in the house. A couple points:

A smaller bike makes you a sharper rider. You can't rely on horsepower to make up for your inability to corner. If you want to keep up you have to learn how to ride better.

Lighter bikes are easier to flick around, if you spend some extra money to make sure the suspension is suited to your weight and riding style.

Not that much change in fuel economy, but the insurance will certainly be less.

The engines are more highly stressed and won't last as long as a bigger bike. Don't plan on keeping the engine going past 60,000km on a single or 100,000 km on a twin, it'll be completely worn out by then.

It won't have a lot of get up and go with a passenger, but you'll only be down to standard car speeds and acceleration. Not the end of the world.

I had no issues taking the 250 up to Yellowknife, down to San Francisco, over to Yellowstone, and all over the PNW, with soft bags and a huge Givi Maxia tail trunk. Would happily run at 140km/hr for hours at a time..

It's probably more important to make sure you like the bike. I was happy to have the 250 at the time. I could afford to run it, it met my needs, and I wasn't one of those poor bastards who gave up riding altogether blaming their wife and kids. It was the right bike for the time and I really enjoyed it for what it was.

Registered User Array m_grewal52's Avatar
    Bike
    Yamaha YZF-R3
    ha! maybe if you weigh 400 lbs

300s perform satisfactory as 1 up touring bikes I would say, climbing the canyons up to lillooet I had my r3 WFOT probably 75% of the time and topping out at 180 km/hr, they make fun track bikes doe!

Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    I'd cringe at the idea of having to pass 3 or 4 consecutive rv's over a broken yellow somewhere... that could be sketchy.
    Name:  cover256x256-adb5b94f4a6a4017a4933d9c63e696b3.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  24.2 KB

must have more bacon Array gxr jo's Avatar
    Bike
    a few pretties
    the new r3 is a sweet looking bike
    listen to me or i will eat you're bacon

wmrc #9

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by m_grewal52 View Post
    ha! maybe if you weigh 400 lbs

300s perform satisfactory as 1 up touring bikes I would say, climbing the canyons up to lillooet I had my r3 WFOT probably 75% of the time and topping out at 180 km/hr, they make fun track bikes doe!

Name:  cover256x256-adb5b94f4a6a4017a4933d9c63e696b3.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  24.2 KB
    uh.. that sounds like they're under powered.

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Challenge accepted CDG, see you at the next trackday

In all seriousness though... It's not for everyone but hunting big sport bikes on twisties with a 300 is a gratifying experience. If you pass them you may break some egos, if you don't well you are only on a 300 so win win. If you need to go over 200kph then the 300's aren't for you either (if you have no desire to go fast then you really should be riding something other than a sport bike imho)

Of course I will admit that I am in a privileged position and have had the opportunity to ride many different bikes. The rush of accelerating a real sport bike off of a corner cannot be matched by a small cc motorcycle. Matching the corner speed of the small bike is hard for most riders aboard real sport bikes as well.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    You CAN ride pretty much ANY motorcycle for touring around at speed limits. Heck, a 30 year old shitter can do that providing it's in reliable nick.

As long as the bike ticks the boxes for you personally, then really that is all that matters. You just have to realize that at it's core, it's a low output motorcycle...
    and you'll need to spend another 20% of the purchase price straight up for suspension to get it to handle reasonably well.. and at that, you still won't have
    adjustable front suspension without opening them up and changing the setup.

Great value bikes. I think they are awesome... but they are not for me for street riding. To me one of the most important aspects of sport motorcycles are
    the power/weight performance they have. And I'm coming from the current perspective of what I consider a low output motorcycle, a 600cc inline 4 Honda CBR RR.
    There are times when I think, man this thing is gutless.

Bike
    CBR600RR
    For someone looking for a 250, this just came up on Craigslist and in my view it's a REALLY good deal.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/mcy/5476030532.html

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Any idea what a trade-in value of a '09 Ninja 250 with super low KM (I think 3-4k) with some minor cosmetic damage (cracked right fairing) might be? I'm sure I can sell it for $2k, but if trade-in value is at least $1500, I'd rather just save my time and trade-in for the bike. Bike is lowered for "height-challenged" people
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Any idea what a trade-in value of a '09 Ninja 250 with super low KM (I think 3-4k) with some minor cosmetic damage (cracked right fairing) might be? I'm sure I can sell it for $2k, but if trade-in value is at least $1500, I'd rather just save my time and trade-in for the bike. Bike is lowered for "height-challenged" people
    Save your time? I'll bet if you put that bike for sale at $2000, it will be sold in less than 2 weeks. Dealers take bikes in on trade to make money, not give you market value for them. In fact,
    I think that bikes worth more than $2 grand.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    '08 GSXR
    But the CBR500R is on the top of my list if I downsize (it looks a lot better than my SV, especially the 2016 with the LED headlights)
    Bought a CBR500R last year for my wife. I get to ride it around once in a while.

Here is what I think:
    On highways, I didn't get blown around and had no problems with overtaking and such.
    ABS is good, I would definitely get that, its worth the extra $500, maybe psychological but worth it for me.
    Comfortable riding position (even after shaving an inch off the seat), it is good enough for cruising around back roads and commuting.
    It is fun to be on your own, on back-roads, has enough to keep you entertained and is a bit more forgiving.

It is a different kind of fun, being a smaller bike, it is more flick able, forgiving and has some some oomph once the rpm climbs above 6000.

If I ever have to go to DT, or know I would get stuck in traffic/commute, I prefer to take the Honda. We also started doing all 2up riding on the Honda.

Things I did not like:
    - Lack of a gear indicator
    - Foot-pegs (touring pants can get stuck on the peg, it has a weird lip)
    - Horn is barely audible
    - They interchanged the horn and indicator switches, this is very annoying.
    - Pulling the panels off is a bit of work, especially for oil filter changes.
    First three are easily fixed with aftermarket parts, takes 10mts each.

The newer (2016) ones do look better.

Bike
    2016 CBR1000RR-SP
    So my wife is giving up riding, so I thought it'd be a opportunity to trade in both our bikes and get a new bike. Life has been busy for me last few years, so I only get to take it out on weekends now. Was thinking of maybe downsizing to a 300cc-500c bike.. I know I only have a SV650, but it's still a night/day difference compared to the 250. Anybody else downgrade their bikes and have any regrets? Also, any recommendation for a sporty 300cc-500cc bike with a more neutral riding position? I like the Yamaha R3, but no-ABS is a dealbreaker for me. Or should I just go full out and get a Triumph Daytona 675, which was my original dream bike haha!
    I think you're going about this the wrong way, you should upsize to a bigger bike.
    Since your wife isn't riding anymore you can take her 2-up on it.
    I've ridden my girlfriend around a couple times on her CBR250 (that's been lowered), two of us in full gear probably had too much weight on it, but it still was fun. However not nearly as easy to do as on a larger bike.
    I could get you a good deal on a 2009ZX10r...
    ---------------------------
    Now... bring me that horizon.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    Save your time? I'll bet if you put that bike for sale at $2000, it will be sold in less than 2 weeks. Dealers take bikes in on trade to make money, not give you market value for them. In fact,
    I think that bikes worth more than $2 grand.
    Thanks Bandito. I will post up an ad shortly and see how it goes. The problem is I own a small business and I work 6 days/week (60 hours/week). So any time I have off is valuable, don't have time to show bike to multiple people. I'm going to give a couple dealerships a call to gauge what the trade-in value for the bike might be.
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Quote Originally Posted by ar79 View Post
    Bought a CBR500R last year for my wife. I get to ride it around once in a while.

Here is what I think:
    On highways, I didn't get blown around and had no problems with overtaking and such.
    ABS is good, I would definitely get that, its worth the extra $500, maybe psychological but worth it for me.
    Comfortable riding position (even after shaving an inch off the seat), it is good enough for cruising around back roads and commuting.
    It is fun to be on your own, on back-roads, has enough to keep you entertained and is a bit more forgiving.

It is a different kind of fun, being a smaller bike, it is more flick able, forgiving and has some some oomph once the rpm climbs above 6000.

If I ever have to go to DT, or know I would get stuck in traffic/commute, I prefer to take the Honda. We also started doing all 2up riding on the Honda.

Things I did not like:
    - Lack of a gear indicator
    - Foot-pegs (touring pants can get stuck on the peg, it has a weird lip)
    - Horn is barely audible
    - They interchanged the horn and indicator switches, this is very annoying.
    - Pulling the panels off is a bit of work, especially for oil filter changes.
    First three are easily fixed with aftermarket parts, takes 10mts each.

The newer (2016) ones do look better.
    Thanks for the review. The horn/indicator switch might some getting used to...
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA