Downsizing bike? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Downsizing bike?

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    . The R3 would even be good for Squamish runs. Yamaha did an excellent job on the 320cc engine, it pulls far more than I thought it could.
    thats the exact bike i sat on... and! not gonna happen

dude you're tall as fvck how do you even fit on that thing...?

i felt cramped 6 ways from Sunday, and it aint even tuesday
    Last edited by bacchus40; 03-07-2016 at 08:25 PM.
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array NapoleanInRags's Avatar
    Bike
    2016 Aprilia Shiver 750
    I think the best answers to the OP's dilemma are these:

Quote Originally Posted by T-rex View Post
    For fun factor, riding position and lower insurance bracket .... You need a drz.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    I think you're going about this the wrong way, you should upsize to a bigger bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMR View Post
    Is this Parking lot in Pitt Meadows by chance?

I used to ride an SV650S. Bought a CBR250R ABS a month ago, but did not enjoy riding it on the upper levels, pinning it and getting blown around. Even though smaller bikes make better riders, to get to the twisty part of the road, it's nice to have the HP and torque.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NapoleanInRags View Post
    I used to ride an SV650S. Bought a CBR250R ABS a month ago, but did not enjoy riding it on the upper levels, pinning it and getting blown around. Even though smaller bikes make better riders, to get to the twisty part of the road, it's nice to have the HP and torque.
    thank you'!! for beejuz sakes its great to see some real world experience, even if it did cost you a few bucks...

smaller bikes make for better riders only because they are forgivEable... there is a limit to this statement, you kinda have to get in trouble b4 you actually learn something useful..
    Last edited by bacchus40; 03-10-2016 at 10:30 PM.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    1984 V65 Magna, 2006 FJR 1300
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    thank you'!! for beejuz sakes its great to see some real world experience, even if it did cost you a few bucks...

smaller bikes make for better riders only because they are forgivable... there is a limit to this statement, you kinda have to get in trouble b4 you actually learn something useful..
    You need to get in trouble before you learn something useful?

WOW!!

I've never tossed my leg over an sv650 ,but, that bike has a huge following and fan base. There must be a reason for that.

Having more power, brakes, or ballz, is not always what the goal is.

I kinda try not to get into trouble.
    There are old riders and there are bold riders. There aren't any old, bold riders.

Ride safe folks.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post

Having more power, brakes, or ballz, is not always what the goal is.

I kinda try not to get into trouble.
    Let me see if I can interpret B40's logic for you......

Smaller bikes are more forgivable than larger bikes
    Riders may make the same mistakes on a smaller bike, but the consequences of those mistakes would be less noticeable, or not noticeable at all.
    To learn, a rider must makes mistakes, and the consequences of those mistakes must be noticeable.
    In order for a rider to truly learn, they must ultimately ride a 1000cc Supersport.
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    RC
    Small bikes make you a better rider because they don't forgive your mistakes.

Brake too soon; run wide or tight, miss a gear shift etc. They pay you back with a loss of momentum.

Do that on a bike bike (especialy on the the street when riding at 7/10ths) and you can just give it that extra twist of gas to catch back up and try again.

On a small bike if you loose 100m on the group you stay off the back and you keep slipping off the back.

I know there's a small core of MotoGP and WSB riders on here who always are on the limit & were out riding at 110% and they missed the factory call up when it came.

This advice isn't for them; they're still out there winning the S2S every weekend. The small bike advice is for the other peeps.
    Fill the house with bees.

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post

Brake too soon; run wide or tight, miss a gear shift etc. They pay you back with a loss of momentum.

Do that on a bike bike (especialy on the the street when riding at 7/10ths) and you can just give it that extra twist of gas to catch back up and try again.

On a small bike if you loose 100m on the group you stay off the back and you keep slipping off the back.

I know there's a small core of MotoGP and WSB riders on here who always are on the limit & were out riding at 110% and they missed the factory call up when it came.

This advice isn't for them; they're still out there winning the S2S every weekend. The small bike advice is for the other peeps.
    Stop with your tirade, Tugboat.

Bike
    RC
    Never!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Pea Souper View Post

WOW!!

I've never tossed my leg over an sv650 ,but, that bike has a huge following and fan base. There must be a reason for that.
    i was not talking about the 650, yes it has a great following and apparently a great bike.. my statement was more towards the new 300cc class.
    i say shite sometimes cause it looks good in print, obviously we dont go out there looking to get in trouble.. at least not so you can learn new tricks
    in my experience playing it seemingly safe with much smaller bikes leads to false confidence... there are hundreds of riders who can claim thousands of miles of seat time
    year in and year out.. yet you ride with them in anything that is technically challenging n' they fold, going straight & twisting the throttle teaches you very little and aint that difficult to do ..

thats all i mean, we see it on the forums all the time as well, folks with a scooter or any of several 300cc bikes for 2 seasons and suddenly they think they're ready to go mach II on a decked out R1 or BMW s1krr..

i wonder if they even seen a thing above 6500rpms on their current ride, commuting; where and how you learn your skills matters
    just as much if not more so than how small the stupid bike is

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDaddyGroove View Post

Riders may make the same mistakes on a smaller bike, but the consequences of those mistakes would be less noticeable, or not noticeable at all.
    what is noticeable to you, and may teach you something based on your skill level may not even register on me, its all very relative and specific to each rider

also not entirely correct, but yes i do believe you can get away with certain stuff on smaller bikes because of their size and weight..
    you get an OH shit moment and swear to never do it again... which is where i believe smaller bikes are more forgivable... I
    fvcked up on my 1st R6 going 'round a turn too damn fast and i had to draw upon years of (experience) riding dirt to save my arse.
    It would have been much tougher to come out the other end had I been riding an R1 and green as i was to street bikes..

i've never been one to recommend a larger bike just so you can learn, in fact you can see from previous comments i've advocated the exact opposite for years

On bigger bikes, small mistakes can turn into big fvck ups and some may not have acquired the necessary skills to pull out of 'em...

in those cases it is EASIER to learn and get to be a good/great biker if you move up slowly... BUT

assuming that every single bike out there, just because its tiny its automatically gonna teach you all you need to know?
    uhmm... ever seen a 125cc blast down the tarmac for miles on end, throttle pinned n' rider doing all he can to ride straight?
    oh yeah i'm sure he's learning lots there... you'll never go fast enough to put you in a situation where you must acquire new skills
    which would turn you into a better biker.. on a super tiny bike if you give it too much throttle its very likely all you have to do is squeeze
    the brakes and you're back; you're not about to see a crowd gather on the side of the street to praise your impressive riding skills when you
    come to a stop.. sweat pouring down your face, yeh right.

the statement had been made just before my post, that you always just learn more from a smaller bike, and i think there is some limitations to that statement..
    if you've NEVER ridden a street bike, a 320cc may teach you lots about riding but its got absolutely nothing to do with being small..
    it has more to do with the fact that its only got two wheels, its inherently unstable, and you've never fvcking ridden one

of course, there are exceptions to the rule.. take it to the track n' ditch the mirrors, i'm certain a 320cc is plenty to get you into trouble n' learn a few lessons

i can agree with this statement, but not everybody is really worried about loosing momentum when you're street riding,

you're more worried about the drop on the other side of the concrete barrier

this is a lot closer to what i mean... but i wouldn't wanna let it go to their heads... the small bike advice is generally reserved for those who
    have very little to no experience.. the rest may very well be bored shitless
    Last edited by bacchus40; 03-08-2016 at 08:31 PM.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    2017 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Wow! Super wavy stoner post............
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    RC
    So is this myth busted? Small bike no good, no how, no way?

Bike
    CBR600RR
    So is this myth busted? Small bike no good, no how, no way?
    125cc thumper = masturbation
    250cc twin to 390cc thumper = handjob
    400cc twin to 650cc v twin = blowjob
    600cc inline 4 to 899 twin = intercourse with a rubber
    1000cc vtwin and larger, 1000cc inline 4 = intercourse with no rubber
    BCSB Crash Reconstruction Team Member

Registered User Array
    Bike
    95 KTM 620, bike number 17...
    Let me see if I can interpret B40's logic for you......

To learn, a rider must makes mistakes, and the consequences of those mistakes must be noticeable.
    In order for a rider to truly learn, they must ultimately ride a 1000cc Supersport.
    There! It's finally been explained! Quicker learning with 150 hp...!

Bike
    Wow! Super wavy stoner post............

HOPE is not a method. Array The Grey Man's Avatar
    Bike
    1989 CBR250R
    Delete
    Last edited by The Grey Man; 03-11-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Delete
    If everybody rode your bike, and dressed just like you it would be a very boring motorcycle world.