Downsizing bike?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Downsizing bike?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA

Downsizing bike?

So my wife is giving up riding, so I thought it'd be a opportunity to trade in both our bikes and get a new bike. Life has been busy for me last few years, so I only get to take it out on weekends now. Was thinking of maybe downsizing to a 300cc-500c bike.. I know I only have a SV650, but it's still a night/day difference compared to the 250. Anybody else downgrade their bikes and have any regrets? Also, any recommendation for a sporty 300cc-500cc bike with a more neutral riding position? I like the Yamaha R3, but no-ABS is a dealbreaker for me. Or should I just go full out and get a Triumph Daytona 675, which was my original dream bike haha!
    Last edited by jermyzy; 03-03-2016 at 06:47 PM.
    '09 Candy Thunder Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R (now the wife's)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    '09 Ducati M696
    What do you hope to achieve by downgrading? You're kind of all over the map here. You mention looking for a more neutral riding position, but then talking about getting a Daytona in the next breath, which are kind of a known torture rack, and also far from a downsize from your SV.

Honestly, if you like your SV and just want it to be slightly more neutral riding positing, swap your low clip-ons for heli-bars (or riser-bars of some variety) and call it a day. The SV is a great bike, and splits the difference between your mind-split of downsizing to a 300 vs upsizing to the daytona. You've already got the right bike for yourself, it sounds like.

Moderator Array CoolDaddyGroove's Avatar
    Bike
    H2 SX
    How big are you?
    DON'T STUFF THE CAGERS!

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Sorry if I was confusing. Just to be clear, I'm not getting a Daytona 675. That's the bike I wanted when I started riding, but given my needs now, it just doesn't make sense. I'm looking for a fun bike to take on short weekend rides with a more neutral riding position. Since my wife is giving up riding, thought it'd be a good chance for me to trade in my bikes for a new one. Figured for my needs, don't need a lot of HP, so might as well downsize and save some money. I had a lot of fun with the 250 when I was learning. I'm 5'7" 135lbs soaking wet. Doing some paper research, I'm leaning towards the Honda CBR500 ABS. But otherwise, you're right, I do like my SV, just thought it'd be nice to get a new bike
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Original Pirate Material Array TMR's Avatar
    Bike
    Suzuki Burgman 250 Supersport
    CB500X. Upright, comfy, super fun to ride.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2014 CB500FA
    Or a CB500F, but I'm biased.

Bike
    04 SV650
    I am assuming your SV is S model and not N. If so, just trade your S for N and call it a day. Or hell, do a swap yourself. It takes very few parts to do the complete swap. N would give you that neutral riding position. I personally like N more, but then again I am biased :P

Bike
    you wont save any money with a 500...

just get a set of helibars..

or... if you're hell bent on downsizing.. sell yours and keep the wifes... that way you'll actually save some money. again throw on helibars or risers w/e it has on it.

no point in buying a new bike if you're not exactly gung ho to go ride it.. imo at least.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    nekkid
    Drop down to 500cc for the same insurance cost as your SV. Not much under 400cc except the little crotch rockets and the 390 Ktm. The Ktm could be what you are looking for. Lots of fun, good riding position, and cheap insurance.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
    Drop down to 500cc for the same insurance cost as your SV. Not much under 400cc except the little crotch rockets and the 390 Ktm. The Ktm could be what you are looking for. Lots of fun, good riding position, and cheap insurance.
    When did the KTM RC 390 come out??? I never even knew this existed! I think this might be the ticket I'm looking for! Small fun bike with cheaper insurance. Thanks!!! Is there any difference between 2015 and 2016 models? Holeshot has the 2015 on sale
    Last edited by jermyzy; 03-04-2016 at 02:47 PM.
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    2009 Suzuki SV650SA
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, I've got some time to mull it over. I am happy with my SV, but always fun to have a new toy. I never use my SV to it's full potential anyways, so if I downsize, I think I will be fine. But the CBR500R is on the top of my list if I downsize (it looks a lot better than my SV, especially the 2016 with the LED headlights)
    '09 Grey Suzuki SV650SA

Bike
    THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCHES
    For fun factor, riding position and lower insurance bracket .... You need a drz.

Bike
    ummm
    Downsizing from a 650 twin?? Geez, that's kinda depressing isn't it?

Registered User Array bacchus40's Avatar
    Bike
    MIAMI 998 YZFR1 '09 & RAIDER S XV19CSEL '14
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
    Downsizing from a 650 twin?? Geez, that's kinda depressing isn't it?
    yeh that would never work for me... i was at the dealer just the other day n' sat on a few smaller bikes; though they're great for beginners and such

I would never even consider owning one, saving coin aint worth the torture those bikes would be for my style of riding...

everybody mentions passing cars, yep thats the big one right there! frustrating as all hell to end up stuck behind a motor-home for 100 miles cause its faster than you
    http://bcusedoil.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Land Roving
    Life is too short to own ugly motorcycles.

Bike
    ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
    yeh that would never work for me... i was at the dealer just the other day n' sat on a few smaller bikes; though they're great for beginners and such

I would never even consider owning one, saving coin aint worth the torture those bikes would be for my style of riding...

everybody mentions passing cars, yep thats the big one right there! frustrating as all hell to end up stuck behind a motor-home for 100 miles cause its faster than you

Quote Originally Posted by G Hats View Post
    A sore ass is better than a shredded back!

** BIKE NIGHTS 2013 **