The Connector

Thread: The Connector

Registered User Array
    Bike
    F800GT

The Connector

Hi. Im new to this forum and I am new to motorcycling and touring. I am planning a bit of a loop trip that will take me to Princeton, up the 5A and then over the connector to Kelowna. My question is about fuel consumption. With normal riding I get about 190 - 200Km before my fuel light comes on. I have ridden 30km into the reserve before. The distance for that bit of the trip ( Princeton to Kelowna ) is approx 150km. So no problem, I hope. My question is, how much does a hill like the one on the connector burn fuel? Granted I guess I am coming down the other side. My bike is somewhat small, 800cc and 95HP. I need to keep the revs up to get the speed out of it. Any help would be cool. thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Beer League Racer/Asshole Array SnoDragon's Avatar
    Bike
    MTS1200S
    You'll be okay if you have that range. As a new rider, you should not be that aggressive anyways, so the hills will not eat up any extra fuel for you.
    WMRC & PCMRC #42
    Sponsors:
    MSpeed Performance
    Motorcycle World
    Burnaby Kawasaki

~If you can't change your situation, change your attitude. If you can't change your attitude, change your situation~

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2013 CB1100
    Won't even be close, you will make it easily.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Array
    Bike
    2012 street triple
    you only get 200km before the light comes on on an f800gt? that seems quite low. I get at least 250km on my S1000r until the light goes on, normal highway riding. At any rate, you'll be fine in this situation.

Bike
    RC
    There's a whole strip of gas stations in West Kelowna that you'll hit when you come off the connector.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    2011 VStrom 650, 1983 KZ750, 2006 WR450, and any racebike I can get my hands on!!
    I know a 'loop' sounds good, but the top of the connector can have fog or snow and it's nice down in Kelowna.
    Don't rule out returning the way you came up this time of year.
    Elkhart is still showing snow at the side of the road.
    chicken strips are a sign of intelligence
    unless you're at the track ;)

[B]https://secure.bcchf.ca/SuperheroPag...FD&Member=2483

Registered User Array
    Bike
    F800GT
    Thank you all for your help. Im not an aggressive rider at all. I read that my fuel light comes on with 3 litres left in the tank. My tank is 15 litres. The last time it came on with 6km into the reserve I put 11 litres in to fill so it does seem to come on a bit early. But its good to know that even with the light on I should be able to get about 50km more. I just wasn't sure how much steep grades affected that. Im going in June before school is out, I hope the weather will be okay by then. Now the questions is where to go from Kelowna? I'm kinda torn between heading north and stopping in at that M/C museum near Salmon Arm ( if its still there ). Or heading south and coming back on the 3. I have a friend I'm staying at in Kelowna and i have a sister in Kamloops. Thank you again for all the help.

Bike
    KTM 1290 Super Duke
    Me and a buddy ripped up to Princeton and back on Friday for a beer, highway 3 was in pretty good shape for this early in the year. Dusty and some gravel in the corners but still an amazing rip.

Cheers,
    LAH

WMRC #715

Three hour tour guide Array silverD's Avatar
    Bike
    '08 Varadero
    Or you're perhaps holding the nozzle too deep into the tank and no getting a true full fill...

Quote Originally Posted by RobF8GT View Post
    Thank you all for your help. Im not an aggressive rider at all. I read that my fuel light comes on with 3 litres left in the tank. My tank is 15 litres. The last time it came on with 6km into the reserve I put 11 litres in to fill so it does seem to come on a bit early. But its good to know that even with the light on I should be able to get about 50km more. I just wasn't sure how much steep grades affected that. Im going in June before school is out, I hope the weather will be okay by then. Now the questions is where to go from Kelowna? I'm kinda torn between heading north and stopping in at that M/C museum near Salmon Arm ( if its still there ). Or heading south and coming back on the 3. I have a friend I'm staying at in Kelowna and i have a sister in Kamloops. Thank you again for all the help.
    I'm not addicted! and I'm not quitting!!
    Heeere's your sign...

...and "always" look on the bright side of life...

Bike
    RC
    From Kelowna back to the LMD a different way it's North on Westside Road to 97, through Kamloops and then over to #1 and down or up and around the Duffey Lake Rd. over to Pemberton and then South.

Adding in the Duffey makes it a pretty long haul though.

You can also loop around Nelson but once again that adds a lot to the home leg.

The MC Museum is still going; if you want to see that from Kelowna it's Westside to 97 to Salmon River Road and along #1 to Balmoral.
    Fill the house with bees.

Bike
    Honda. Still. Again.
    Easy.
    Fill up in Abbotsford (cheap!) Princeton, again in Kelowna.
    You're stopping once too often for fuel, but then again the peace of mind is worth it.

Bike
    CB 500X
    Quote Originally Posted by 1290 SD View Post
    Me and a buddy ripped up to Princeton and back on Friday for a beer, highway 3 was in pretty good shape for this early in the year. Dusty and some gravel in the corners but still an amazing rip.
    Like your avatar says. Must have been brisk through Allison Pass - it's still winter up there.
    'I ride, therefore I'm not here.'

Bike
    2017 Scott Spark 720+
    Is that 190-200 in the city or highway? I get significantly better mileage on the highway, your bike is likely much more efficient than mine and I never sweat trips around the interior.

If you're getting nervous continue up to Merritt, fill up then down to Kelowna. Won't add much to your trip.

Registered User Array
    Bike
    F800GT
    Thats true, Merritt is pretty close to where the 5A hits the connector. The 190 - 200km is mixed riding. I was reading the F800GT forum and that seems to be what people are getting before the light comes on. Im going to take the northern route and stop at the M/C museum. I seem to remember it being nice but I didn't really look at all the bikes the same way I might now that I own a bike. Ill come down the #1 I think from Kamloops. I did do the Duffy lake loop once and I did make it but I certainly didn't break any speed records, haha. One of the guys I was riding with commented when we were in Pemberton ( we did the loop counter clockwise ) At least i don't have to clean my visor, we didn't go fast enough o kill any bugs!. Thank you again for all the help.