Cali Ride May 2016 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cali Ride May 2016

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA

Cali day 6: south of Oakhurst

The day started with a bit of subduing news: Adam received word that his father, who had been suffering from cancer, had died, so our first order of business was condolences and seeing our friend on his way back to his home in San Francisco. Then we set off into the maze of obscure roads southeast of Oakhurst. It'd take a week to explore everything between Oakhurst and Visalia, so we just had a few highlights planned.

The first outing was from North Fork, out and back on the Mammoth Pool road. This was highly varied and had plenty of great riding and even better scenery, but, honestly, I came away a little bit disappointed - it wasn't quite up to the standard of Mosquito Ridge, so there a little niggle of a let-down (for me, at least). And the store out at the end doesn't open till Memorial Day weekend, so our rest stop was creek-side rather than lake-side. Still, it's well worth a morning's investment of time.

Mammoth Pool Rd

IMG_4728 (1024x693) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4735 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4738 (768x1024) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4739 (2) (1280x603) by Don Serl, on Flickr

IMG_4746 (1024x768) by Don Serl, on Flickr

Then we plunged into real obscurity: the putative route led thru places like Auberry Rd, Tollhouse Rd, Burroughs Valley Rd, Trimmer Springs Rd, Elwood Rd, etc... But only part of the agenda came to fruition. (I'm not even sure I have the order of events right, but...)
    After the Mammoth Pool outing, Brad set off directly for Fresno, to get a tire change; Carl went with him.
    Shortly thereafter, Miles had a problem with his bike, a recurrence of an issue that had prevented him from joining us on the 'big' day on Mosquito Ridge, etc, and he decided he would head out early to the Bay area for a family visit.
    Then, north of Auberry, we had an overly aggressive local in a pickup, pulling a trailer, who actively sought to prevent passes and who even tried to cause a rear-ender by speeding up, then suddenly braking. Kinda ruined a superb section of beautiful, twisting back-country travel...
    And finally, after a long, twisting descent on Tollhouse Road, Mark had 'an incident' involving some gravel in a corner and an adjacent field. Luckily, he emerged relatively unscathed, but his bike was not so lucky!

By the time all this got sorted out, most of the last half of the day's 'adventure' riding disappeared, and only 4 of us ( Scott, Carl, Dahl, and me) settled into the Sequoia Econolodge in Visalia - our last nite in 'Nor' Cal. Tomorrow we would cross the mountains for a final time, eastward, and set off into Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Nevada. But that's a different tale, and a totally different world...

map: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Oakhu...d36.318649!3e0

only about 350 kms, but with one thing and another, all day.
    Last edited by doser; 06-09-2016 at 10:44 PM.
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

2. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    ...and meanwhile, I know from FB postings that at the same time, David and Nancy were covering lots of ground in Nor Cal - so, let's hear your tales too, guys!
    In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensible.
    Dwight Eisenhower

Registered User Array filterwrench's Avatar
    Bike
    r1200gsw
    Great write up Don , my list of day rides in NorCal is getting longer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BCSportBikes.com
    Advertisements

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird

instead of adding a new thread i'll tag onto this one.

after driving straight through to anderson day 1 saw me needing to take care of a few things and have an "easy" shake down ride to get myself tuned up as i'd had virtually no seat time so far this season. after riding up to redding to get a new front tire it was time to scrub it by doing the short version of 36/299 and in reverse compared to how it's usually run. i made it short by cutting it off with hwy 3 which is a very tight run between 299 and 36.

https://goo.gl/maps/StF1g7eTHSv

caltrans is still doing work on the 299 taking out the switchbacks at the eastern end which is a shame, but the construction gave me the opportunity to go to the front of the line and have a clear road in front of me - yes!

time to unload!

open road on the 299

tight lines on hwy 3

the 36/3/299 loop makes for a nice quick only lasting a few hours and is a great "warm-up" to get ready for the riding in the days to come with a good variety sweepers and twisties.
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    RC51 & Blackbird
    i only one pic on day two at the start of the big 36/299 loop, the pic everybody seems to want because of the sign. in this pic i think someone was complaining that this road looked like it had too many curves and doser exasperatingly said "well why the fuck are you here then?!?!?!?"

so on to day 3. that day saw doser and a few other truck their bikes down to sacramento and put their vehicles in storage where they would pick them up after their desert wanderings later in the trip. i left mine in anderson as our subgroup wasn't going to do the desert part and would ride back north after splitting with doser in visalia. that gave us the opportunity to ride what is easily one of the three best day loops in norcal and possibly all of california, a ride that includes the infamous rtits.

map: https://goo.gl/maps/1p9zA2ty2x52

the day starts out with a bit of slab heading south through chico to access the hwy 70 and the feather river valley. once onto the 70 there's a few minutes of boring climb before you begin the twisty descent into the feather river valley bottom where the road follows ther twist of the river pretty much all the way out to quincy to stop for lunch and fuel up. the best thing to do is be gassed up in the morning and then before getting onto the 70 fuel up at the clear creek crossing which will leave you with more than enough fuel to get out to quincy and a nice opportunity for a short break from the heat and something to drink. doing this also cuts out a bit of extra distance.

sign of things to come on the 70

riding along the river offers cooler temps

love seeing these signs

after having lunch in quincy it's a short run through town and east quincy to get to the day's objective, laporte road. laporte is tight and unforgiving in many spots where if you run wide it's a few hundred feet to the canyon bottom. the road sees little traffic but don't get too comfortable with that as any transgression into the oncoming lane might see you staring at a face full of chrome coming the other way. laporte starts off tight and relatively flat then runs steeply up the side of the canyon.

heading up

moar please

time for a quick pic

and a glamour shot

getting close to the top - i love this shot as it shows off just how well the roads are designed/built down in cali

the last section near the top was a bit surreal as there was still a fair bit of snow yet the road was pretty much bone dry. the cooler temps from the snow were welcome too.

from there it was a bit of a cruise to auburn to meet up with the rest of the group and have dinner at the ever popular denny's
    *** every move should be calculated ***

Quote Originally Posted by sAdam View Post
    Most everyone on here is worth a laugh or has a good insight at one time or another, even syncro.

Bike
    2013 CB1000RA
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    from there it was a bit of a cruise to auburn to meet up with the rest of the group and have dinner at the ever popular denny's
    hah ha, Denny's. can't win 'em all, eh?
    Dwight Eisenhower